Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. gv

gv

If you did, you would get so many more sales.. I for one want it so I can make it work under Windows Phone and Windows 8...

but I can understand why you wouldnt want to release it, as racing AI is not easy to implement...

2. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gv,

Thanks for your comment and your interest on iRDS, we are working on making it compatible with windows phone. We would let you know when it is compatible.

Rhod,

3. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eridani,

You could implement the ability to shoot projectiles, missiles and bananas outside the iRDS, also the power up for shields. For the speed boost you can use the iRDS Nitro available on the physics, and override the player inputs to activate it using the LateUpdate Method to send the command to the car physics scripts.

The shrunk in size is not possible on the actual version on the asset store, but we just did implement the necessary scale multiplications to add this feature, so you would be able to change the size of the car by just change the main car object scale.

So, at the end, it is possible that you could make the cartoony race game you are aiming to.

Rhod,

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that iRDS is now compatible with Windows Phone 8! And it is the version that is already live on the asset store, from version 1.09.1.3

Rhod,

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

The beta is here (not yet on the asset store, we would let you know when it is not beta any more and get on asset store), please send me an email request (for current clients only) so i could add you to the repository.

Rhod,

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. kilik128

kilik128

•Police chasing mode - Done ::!! nice !

what's about trafic simulation or rally i love all terrain

it's easy to configure new car ?

and about mobile integration i use easy touch for 3d touch it's possible to make my self contrôle easy in javascript

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  7. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi kilik128,

Thanks for the comments!

yes it is very straight forward to rig a new car, with our rig wizard.

Also you can use your own mobile code, in fact the mobile control is in a custom script, so you can modify it.

Also on the new version (which is still on beta state) have new mobile controls, which you can customize a lot, and create different layouts and then select the one you want to use.

About making it on Javascript, i think it is possible too, our classes are all made on C#.

Rhod,

8. zelmund

zelmund

Hi there. can that asset be used for creating city traffic?

9. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi zelmund,

iRDS was designed to be a race system, not a traffic one, you could make something with it, but may not be exactly what you expect.

Rhod,

10. gringo2012

gringo2012

Hello

I cannot assign AI drivers to cars in the latest version. (on the LevelLoad gameobject)
    Whenever I try to type the name of the car prefab or driver, the element loses focus and the checkmark "Assign AI drivers to cars" is disabled.
    I have to enable it and redo the whole thing, and it does not work.
    Please fix this bug.

Also, if cars with your rig crash, they explode. Tires get separeted by car body, steering wheel and other components. If I disable the Car Damage script it-s ok.

11. gringo2012

gringo2012

Btw, show markers/hide markers never worked, in any version of IRDS I've used.
    Markers are always shown, no matter what

12. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

We would check that asap, about the cars explode, which car is it? one of the demo?

Thanks for the feedback, we would look at those asap.

Rhod,

13. gringo2012

gringo2012

Yes, I've used a car from the demo.
    For some reason, it does not load my custom cars.
    I've setup my Car Folder but it's not using it, except for the Player car.
    If I use your folder, I get those exploding cars when they collide.

Also, another bug is that in my "LevelLoad" gameobject, in the player tab, it does not always use the "Selected Car name" that I specify. It sometimes
    loads one of the AI cars for the Player car, which is really annyoing. This bug did not exist in the previous version of IRDS I had.

I'm using Edy VP with my cars. Maybe some settings have changed in the meantime? Do I have to add something to my edy VP cars in order to work with the new system?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  14. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo,

this is weird, since we do not changed the scripts, just added the new demo scene, we are going to check that asap.

If you are using the new demoscene, this new scene does not uses directly the car you put on the leveload, it gets the car you choose on the car choose scene, and you need to play it from the "Initial Scene" scene for it to work, since in that case, the system is using only one levelload object on all three scenes of that demo, and it is initial at the "Initial Scene" and it gets trough each level load command (don't get destroyed).

Thanks again,

Rhod,

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

The issue came because you were using the Edy's VP iRDS version, and got imported the normal version of iRDS, we are glad to have been able to help you out to get back your project as it was, so the issue was not really related to iRDS, except for the "Assign AI Cars to Drivers" getting un checked when you edit the name of the driver, this issue have been catch and would be fixed immediately, and the update uploaded asap.

Rhod,

16. gringo2012

gringo2012

Hi rhodnius

Thank you for the quick help and for the changes you did.
    Awesome support.

17. derkoi

derkoi

Hi Rhod,

I'm wondering if there's any possibility of being able to allow players to design tracks with the AI waypoints in them? I was thinking of having track tile prefabs with waypoints object parented to them and somehow having them arrange themselves when the player has created the track.

18. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi derkoi,

This is very good idea, but right now the system won't do it by itself, the idea is very good, so we would think on something about this, there should be a way to do it.

Rhod,

19. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

we just wanted to let you know that we are on the testing of the beta of the latest update for the tons of new features to come, we want to thanks everyone that have been part of this beta testing program(our clients) and we want also to announce some other new features that have been included lately by request on the Beta Testing, some of them are:

- Enable and disable independently the in race standing from the end race standings.
    - New suspension system, with the idea to gain some performance (you could still use the old suspension too, the old one is active by default)

Rhod,:cool:

20. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Hello! Is it possible to use iRDS in connection with motorcycles (e.g. VMOTOR)? Would it be possible to use iRDSfor horse racing game?

21. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi jeremiasz,

Thanks for your interest in our product, as long as the inputs for those "vehicle physics" are steer -1 to 1, break 0 to 1, throttle 0 to 1, it should work, for using it with custom vehicle physics, other than Edy's, UnityCar or our own iRDS physics, you would need to use the included iRDS package for UnityCar and modify the scripts that sends some wheel information to iRDS and that takes the infor from iRDS and send it to the Vehicle Physics input scripts.

Rhod,

22. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Hello again! :) Next questions:

1. Could subtrack elevation differ from maintrack (e.g. maintrack going on the bridge, subtrack under)?
    2. Can subtrack be locked and unlocked runtime, during play?
    3. How is damage handled? Are there falling off parts defined by user like bumpers, mirrors?
    4. Is it possible to rig three-wheeler in iRDS wizard? If not how to do it? Please clear instructions :)
    5. Any kind of system to display number of laps, etc.?
    6. I am going to buy iRDS. Will there be any sale/discount in near future? ( in euro and tax it's real pain)
    7. Is there any chance for Playmaker support? I have few assets (DF GUI, uSequencer, Scene Manager, and other) which I am harnessing together with help of Playmaker. Adding some iRDS actions for Playmaker would make it possible for me to easily communicate between those assets.

23. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi jeremiasz,

Here are the answers:

Yes the subtracks can differ from maintrack elevation, just be aware that this is going to be released on next version, actually it is on beta test program for our clients that want's to participate on it, so if you buy, you can ask to.

It have not been written to do so, but could be added to it, just that you would have to lock it also "physically" so the player won't be able to go through the subtrack too. We could add this, since this is still in beta version.

Damage is handled by deforming the meshes in real time, you could also add (manually) joints to the parts you want to fall off the car, by just adding a rigidbody to each part, it's collider and the joint to hold it up to the car, it have in there the amount of force required to the joint get damaged and the part fall from the car. We can help you out on explaining how to do this, there is no coding needed for this.

It is not possible right now, we can add this to the rig wizard as an option, and include it on the beta.

Yes, iRDS use it's own GUI, made from GUIText and GUITextures, so by default you can easily display position, laps, standings, etc.

There would be no discounts by now.

Right now it is not made to be compatible with Playmaker, i don't really see how it could be used that way, if you have an idea of it, it would be nice if you could share, to either think on implementing it, or telling you the way you could achieve it with iRDS directly.

If you have any further question, please let us know,

Rhod,

24. rhodnius

rhodnius

We have added 3 wheeled vehicle support to the beta version.

Rhod,

25. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Wow! Your reply time is second to none :) My last question is if there will by any price changes when the new version will come out?

Last last question: When the new version will come out? :)

26. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi jeremiasz,

There would be no price changes for now.

Rhod,

27. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello guys,

We are also working on adding 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles support on the beta version. So you would be able to rig Motorcycles and three wheels.

Is on the early stages, but it seems to be pretty straight forward.

Rhod, :cool:

28. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Hi!
    Just bought iRDS! Where to register? :)
    Game Mode idea: Checkpoints Collecting. Who collects the largest number of checkpoints - wins.

29. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi jeremiasz,

Thanks for your purchase,

Please send us an email to Josegarrido@dagagames.com with your invoice number to include you to our beta test program.

Rhod,

30. ng-pixels

ng-pixels

Hi,
    I would like to aks if iRDS works on Windows Store and Windows Phone?
    Thanks for answer.

31. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi ng-pixels

Thanks for your interest in our product, yes iRDS does work on both, windows store and windows phone 8.

Rhod,

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  32. pinchmass

pinchmass

Just a quick question, I'm playing with a track in a multi-storey car-park so you go up level and are above where you previously where, I'm having problem with the racing line and road width sticking to the top level (I presume it ray cast down for it position) I'v played with adding the above floor to the "ignore ray cast" layer but do need to add the point to it.

Anyway don't want to distract from your work on the next update, just wondered if you used your system like this (any advice).

33. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

Maybe a screenshot may help to understand it better and let you know a way to do it. ;-)

Rhod,

34. pinchmass

pinchmass

You suggested solution worked like a charm (its built into the system you can set the ray cast length)

Just didn't want anyone reading the thread thinking you'd not provided a speedy solution (as always)

keep up the great work !

35. Saulius

Saulius

Hello,

I want to ask, will your plugin work on track like this : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ndffxs9wonzlzf/Demo.7z
    I need realistic AI to drive the car in this map. Player will be able to look around only as this simulation will be used with oculus rift.

36. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Saulius,

Thanks for your interest in our product, here is the answer.

Yes the AI drivers can drive on that track.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Rhod,

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks pinchmass,

We are always glad to help!

Rhod,

38. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Rhod,

Just wanted to let you know that after I watched the videos of iRDS I was 99% sure that this was what I needed. After reading every post on this thread I'm 999% sure. Amazing support for an amazing product. Really looking forward to getting this in a few days.

Alex

39. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks alexfeature!

Thanks for your interest in our product and for your comments, if you need anything, just let us know ;)

Rhod,

40. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hi there,

I purchased the package a while ago and successfuly tested it. Now I decided to play with it some more and I was wondering where can I get the latest documentation. I can see that there have been updates since the last time I used it, but the latest developer manual I managed to find is dated 12/17/2012. Is it the latest manual version?

Right now I am having problems geting past the point where you have to add track limits (page 30. in the manual). Basically when I hold shift and clik right mouse button nothing happens. I remember doing this with ease some time ago so I am wondering if there have been some changes and I simply have the old manual.

41. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

If you downloaded the update from the asset store, the readme file should be dated 11/13/2013 on the file info (not inside the readme itself).

The issue you are getting, maybe related to that the surface you are trying to get the markers on may not have a collider on it, since that have not been changed on the last version.

Let me know if you have further issues to help you out.

Rhod,

42. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Rhod,

I have a few questions about the system. I did find some hints as to how I could make this work however I want to get a proper answer if you will. Just to be sure I'm covered before I buy the thing :D

1. Is it possible to have have more than one racing line per track in the same race? Basically I'm wondering if I can do this to achieve more diversity in the way cars behave on a track.

2. Is there a way to ensure the order in which the AI drivers finish a race? It's important for me to have simulated races where I let the player watch the race but he or she can't control the car. The results of such races are predetermined. Keep in mind that the times are not important as long as the order in which the cars finish is as specified.

3. I would like to create random events for the races that may cause cars to crash, spin out on corners, burn the engines etc. Is there a way to cause AI drivers to lose control of their cars?

4. Are there AI driver skill levels? What ways do I have to make some drivers make less than optimal choices. Break too much in a corner, switch the gear too early / too late, over/understeer etc.

5. How do drivers choose whether to use Nos or not in a race? Is nitro only used in the final part of the race?

Thanks,
    Alex

43. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi alexfeature,

Here are the answers to yout questions

There is an option for simulating that the track have more than one racing line, which we call 3 wide style race, you enable it and the cars wont be following the line exactly, i.e. if they overtake another car, they would stay at the position on the track they used to overtake the opponent, instead of returning to the racing line.

The races are entirely dependent on the events that occurs during the race, so making it predetermined is not possible, but if you could explain a little more what are you trying to achieve, we could tell you if it can be done. Since if you already know who is going to win, why then want to make a race of it? maybe you just can show the results?

This is something, that from the top of my mind i think of by adding some custom scripts that makes the cars loose control, like by changing their settings at some evens in real time, the API let's you do changes to the car/AI settings during the race, you just need to make the script to apply them as you wish.

Yes, you can create Random drivers AI skill levels, or apply them before the race start by script. Also you can change the AI behavior with those.

The Nos is used by the AI's when ever they are hitting throttle and they are from second place to the last, so if one of them is at first place, it won't use the Nos.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Rhod,

44. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Rhod,

Thanks for the answers. Everything seems easily doable.

Now for the predetermined finish line. The thing is that it's a requirement of my application. I know it's not the best way to phrase it but it just has to be done.

I was thinking as a workaround I could have a set of adjustments made prerace on some of the AI drivers to make their cars less powerful or something. The problem with that approach is that the race will look unrealistic or it will be easy to tell that cars have been fiddled with.

A different approach could be to have points on the track that would act as repositioning markers for the AI. For instance lets say we have 2 drivers A and B. A should loose but is currently winning. So if I was to slow A down when it passes that marker, B would have an opportunity to pass A. At that point I would set A to a follow B rather than try to pass him. Of course this is assuming I can set AI cars to follow a target.

It's a very flimsy solution and will probably take forever to get to work correctly. At any rate this is something I need to have so any suggestion on how this can be achieved would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Alex

45. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi alexfeature,

On the AI side, you can setup for a specific AI at runtime parameters to make them stop overtaking, this would make them follow the racing line or just keep going without making overtake maneuvers. also you can manipulate the settings to make them slower at corners in runtime with a custom script.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Rhod,

46. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey

That sounds good. Thanks for your time mate, I really appreciate it.

regards,
    Alex

47. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey Rhod,

I was wondering if it would be hard to set up iRDS to use my own vehicle physics? Let's say I have a simple car physics that has a control script that uses input variables similar to Edy's system to move the vehicle around (steerig, motor, braking). What would be the procedure if any, to achieve something like this?

48. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

Yes you can setup a custom car physics other than iRDS, Edys or UnityCar, first if the car physics use wheelcolliders, then use the Edys package and edit the IRDSEdysControl scripts to point to the classes of the car physics and replace the variables with the ones on that classes.

Rhod,

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  49. Aska-K

Aska-K

Hi Rhod,

This asset is very cool, but I have some question how to use.

1)
    I want to increase dynamically the car to participate in the race.
    So I tried to use "AddNewAICar" method, but it does not work.

This is my script:
    The error does not appear, but the car does not appear on the scene, the name of the driver does not display. This alone is not work?
    Please tell me how to use a specific this method.

2)
    I want to manually set the position of the car at the start of the race.
    Is it possible to fix (no random) the position of the player and AIs?

3)
    Error seems to appear when you start the race in the number of AI is 0.
    Is it possible to run a course with only player's car?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  50. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Aska.K,

Thanks for your purchase!

Please kindly send us your invoice number on a private message or by email to josegarrido@dagagames.com and we would get back to you asap with support.

Rhod,