Search Unity

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hmm would be good to know from which scene you are currently running it and which versions of Unity as there is an upload for different versions of unity (because of the API Updater issue unity have). The latest version was uploaded on Unity 2019.3.9

One thing that could help out is a drifting assistant script that you can attach to the cars, that would help on the car stabilization (yaw stabilization primarily)

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class IRDSDriftAssistant : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     public float driftAssistanFactor = 1f;
    4.     public float maxAllowedAngularRotaionSteer = 3f;
    5.     public float driftingMinAngle = 1f;
    6.     public float maxAllowedAngularRotaion = 1f;
    7.     public float minSpeed = 15f;
    8.     private IRDSCarControlInput carInput;
    10.     void Start () {
    11.         carInput = GetComponent<IRDSCarControlInput>();
    13.     }
    14.     void FixedUpdate () {
    15.         if (carInput.AllTiresOffGround || carInput.BodyVelocity.z < minSpeed)return;
    17.         if (carInput.Steering == 0  && Mathf.Abs(carInput.Body.angularVelocity.y) > maxAllowedAngularRotaion/4f)
    18.         {
    19.             carInput.Body.AddTorque(Vector3.up * -carInput.Body.angularVelocity.y * driftAssistanFactor, ForceMode.Acceleration);
    20.         }else
    21.             if (carInput.Steering <0 && carInput.Body.angularVelocity.y > -maxAllowedAngularRotaionSteer)
    22.         {
    23.             carInput.Body.AddTorque(Vector3.up * carInput.Steering * driftAssistanFactor, ForceMode.Acceleration);
    24.         }else
    25.             if (carInput.Steering >0 && carInput.Body.angularVelocity.y < maxAllowedAngularRotaionSteer)
    26.         {
    27.             carInput.Body.AddTorque(Vector3.up * carInput.Steering *driftAssistanFactor, ForceMode.Acceleration);
    28.         }
    30.     }
    31. }

2. Upri5e

Upri5e

Is there a way we can see the code for the DummyCameraPreview that the camera follows on the initial preview ? i want to change the condition of when the initial preview stops, and make it repeat after if i stop the preview and the race doesnt start for 5 seconds. So basically i want to make my own dummy object but with the same movement script for the dummy.

3. vincespeed

vincespeed

Hello Rhodnius,
    I recently updated your package to v 3.2.6.1. First of all, let me say thank you once again for your amazing work, this new update solves a lot of issue I previously had. I would say it's almost perfect!
    I encountered two issues I couldn't solve, and I hope you can help me with them:
    1) It seems player car can only make one pit stop during the race: first time I enter pitlane, everything works perfectly (both if it's for a drivethrough or to change tire). But if I try to enter pits on the next lap (or the others as well), player car won't switch again to AI. It's like the "Pit Entrance Collider" won't trigger the car to make the pitstop again. As a matter of fact, I tried to debug the "GetComponent<IRDSNavigateTWaypoints>().GoPits" to see if it switches to True, but it stays false (setting it manually wont work either). I would appreciate if you can help me with this bug, as in my game I need players to enter pit lane as many times they want to.
    2) I bet this is easier :) AI cars tend to be too much aggressive with player when behind him. They won't slow down when they're right behind him if they can't overtake, instead they will force the player into a spin. Which parameter should I edit in order to solve this little problem?
    Thank you for your help, as always :)

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

sure, here it is, sorry for the late reply, some how I missed your post:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         WaitForFixedUpdate waitForFixedUpdate = new WaitForFixedUpdate();
    2.         /// <summary>
    3.         /// Initials the race view.  This method is for internal use only.
    4.         /// </summary>
    5.         IEnumerator initialRaceView()
    6.         {
    7.             bool initialView = true;
    9.             while (initialView)
    10.             {
    11.                 if (Input.anyKey)
    12.                 {
    13.                     initialView = false;
    14.                     lastDelayTime = Time.time;
    15.                     if (freeCamera == false)
    16.                     {
    17.                         if (IRDSLevelLoadVariables.Instance != null && IRDSLevelLoadVariables.Instance.startRaceManually == false)
    18.                         {
    19.                             IRDSStatistics.Instance.StartTheRace();
    20.                         }
    21.                     }
    22.                 }
    24.                 if (IRDSWPManager.waypoints != null)
    25.                 {
    26.                     Vector3 RelativeWaypointPosition = IRDSWPManager.waypoints[currentWaypoint].InverseTransformPoint(target.position);
    28.                     if (RelativeWaypointPosition.magnitude <= 15f)
    29.                     {
    30.                         velocity = Vector3.Lerp(prevVelocityTarget, target.InverseTransformPoint(IRDSWPManager.waypoints[currentWaypoint].position).normalized * initialViewSpeed, 300 / RelativeWaypointPosition.magnitude * Time.deltaTime);
    31.                         targetRigidbody.velocity =target.TransformDirection(velocity);
    32.                         prevVelocityTarget = velocity;                      
    33.                         targetRigidbody.MoveRotation(Quaternion.Lerp(targetRigidbody.rotation, IRDSWPManager.waypoints[currentWaypoint].rotation, Time.deltaTime * 8f));
    34.                         currentWaypoint = IncreaseIndex(currentWaypoint, IRDSWPManager.waypoints.Count);//this function just increases the index and if it is greater than waypoints count sets it to 0 to start over
    35.                     }
    36.                     else if (RelativeWaypointPosition.magnitude > 50f)//Just to travel the target if it is just too far away
    37.                     {
    38.                         target.position = IRDSWPManager.waypoints[currentWaypoint].position;
    39.                     }
    40.                 }
    41.                 else
    42.                 {
    43.                     initialView = false;
    44.                 }
    46.                 yield return waitForFixedUpdate;
    47.             }
    49.         }
    I would have to check that out, weird, I remember we fixed this issue of the pits together like a year a go? hmm maybe I didn't rolled it over the last release version, would check that out.

About the AI being aggressive when behind the player, you can make the to try to overtake sooner, just make the OvertakingSpeedDifferenceMin and max a negative value, so they would try to overtake sooner, also increasing the LENGTH_MARGIN min and max would make them slow down earlier if they are closer to the player from behind.

5. vincespeed

vincespeed

Thanks for the quick response :)
    At that time we had another kind of issue with pitstops: cars were entering the pitlane, and then suddenly began to slow down, start and stop, and it could take long before they would get out of the pitlane (sometimes they did not exit at all, just freezing there). This new update solved this issue brilliantly: I have 20 cars on track, tested it by making all them pitting at the same time... and even if a bit of traffic builds up, they all pit without any problem :)
    The problem I am facing now is that it seems in some tracks only one pit stop per car can be triggered in a race. If I try to enter again the pit lane nothing appens, the car control won't switch to AI.
    I've the DLL version of the Asset so I cannot do much to debug this strange issue, but navigating the code I've found the existance of listeners like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IRDSNavigateTWaypoints.OnEnterPits
    So maybe they are not re-registered when the first pit stop finishes?
    [EDIT]
    After testing in depth more tracks, it seems this bug only affects some of them. Some other just work fine... some other else have a mix of the bug explained below and the one above.
    -On some track, when the car enters the pitlane for making a pit stop, there will be two laps accounted: the right one when the car crosses the starting line and another one when the pit racing line ends up again in the racing line. Once I could manage this bug by using “Set lap” of car controller ai, but now it has been deprecated, and the irdsnavigatwayponts.Lap can’t be modified (set is protected). I tried debugging the "OnLapChanged" function and here's what we have:

Called function "On Lap Changed". Switched to lap 2 and a time of 134.9403 seconds
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

Called function "On Lap Changed". Switched to lap 3 and a time of 19.34 seconds
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

there's clearly something going on that I can't get. If it is any help (I don't know if length of the track or shape can cause some bug) the track we are talking about here is F1 Shangai GP (But it happens on Montreal, Monza, Melbourne and some other) The point where pit line and racing line encounters is a bit before the first turn of the track.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  6. vincespeed

vincespeed

Sorry to bump the thread with a second post. But every day that passes, my game keeps getting bad ratings because of these bugs and I need to release an update asap. I can imagine that you have a lot of work and therefore you cannot only focus on the bugs I pointed out. I would upgrade to the source code version of the asset, but I have 20 tracks in the game, and I should reprogram all scenes with a huge loss of time, since the source code version is not compatible with the dll version, so buying it is not an option. May I propose you give me access to the source code version (even just a part of it, the part where pitstop/lap update are handled) in order for me to test it and find out where the pit stop bugs originate? I would then pass you my findings so that you can fix the dll version and send me a fix.

7. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @vincespeed I understand, how you are explaining it sounds like might be an issue of how the track is rigged, lets better do a remote session to help you out and actually see what the issue is and get it solved :)

And yes I'm busy but wont let people that is trusting on iRDS to get their games done down, so lets get it solved, pls PM me when you are available.

Cheers

8. vincespeed

vincespeed

I appreciate your cooperation, and most of all I really appreciate the commitment you have for your product and your customers. Let me fix some UI bug I've introduced (I've used the past week to redesign the UI, and I have some error :rolleyes:), will PM you to fix a meeting once done. Even if, from my findings, it hardly may depend on the tracks configuration.

rhodnius likes this.
  9. rhodnius

rhodnius

Just to let everyone know that the pitstop issue was found and fixed, still checking on the double lap count when exiting the pits, after that the fix would be then uploaded to the asset store

10. aw6461

aw6461

Hi, I am currently trying to get the Obstacle Avoidance to work.
    Currently, I have:
    - obstacles tagged as "Obstacle" with the IRDS obstacle component on the layer obstacle
    - child trigger object on my AI cars with the IRDS obstacle sensor component on the layer obstacleSensor
    - obstacle layer hits everything, obstacleSensor only hits obstacle in the physics manager
    - using RCC physics

when testing the cars do see the obstacles based off the debug raycasts, but do not seem to even try to avoid the obstacle. I tested with the obstacle as a kinematic rigidbody and without a rigidbody where both cases it would again see the obstacle but not avoid it.
    I also tried changing some values like the backToLineIncrement to a higher number, obstacleAvoidOffset values, and sideAvoidingFactor with no changes.
    I added IRDS car controller AI components to the obstacles, but nothing seemed to change.

If there is any wisdom you can share with me about something I missed or am just assuming is right or something that will make it work that would be very appreciated.

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Make the obstacle sensor trigger to huge like 50 meters width and 150 length and try again, let me know how it goes

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  12. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

Hi,
    when i add Edys Vehicle Physics to iRDS, and want to select it in the Garage:
    upload_2021-2-6_16-22-16.png

Is there a better tutorial to handle this?
    I followed the the steps for edys in the PDF added the front wheels.

* When i add a new car and choose in the garage, i get not this car when i start the completeScene, from the demo

Sorry this is not what i excepted, i re quest a refund

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  13. vincespeed

vincespeed

Once again Jose thank you so so much for your help! You’ve been very kind to arrange a google meet and rule those bugs out! Once again, this wonderful and always improving asset proved to be a great time saver for me!

rhodnius likes this.
  14. aw6461

aw6461

yea it was huge huge its 50 x 20 x 200 when i tested and i used multiple sizes too. Like I said, it does notice the obstacles, it just doesn't dodge them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @Andreas12345

The issues is because the selection screen also uses other classes that third party physics does not have, just commenting those lines would get it to work without issues.

I can do a call/remote session to get you in the right path really quick, just PM me your availability.

I see, does the obstacles have the obstacle tag on the object that have the collider? Just a few days ago had another user getting a similar issue and was just the size of the collider, so in your case could be settings, make sure overtake offset increment is set to 0.01 or higher on their min and max on levelload object in Random AI settings, if still not working let me know, we could do a remote session to get you going faster for sure.

Andreas12345 likes this.
  16. aw6461

aw6461

ok so I double checked the tag for the collider and the code that uses it to make sure they match, which they do. My collider is pretty big for the scale of my other things (3x4x10 obstacle) vs 20 x10x100 sensor. I tested with offset increments above 0.1f and went up to 10 for the max, 1 for the min with no change.
    If its not too much trouble a remote session would be very helpful. I will PM you.

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

Just answered your PM, I'm currently available if you want to do the remote session :)

18. Slipangle

Slipangle

Glad to see it's been updated to work with current Unity release.
    Rhod, for some reason your website forum isn't working, maybe you should update some stuff on that end as well :)

Also, is there a roadmap for upcoming features?

19. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks for the heads up about the website, would check it out, maybe an outdated stuff, but the link works (forum link on the webpage)

Currently the main thing for iRDS is refactoring of the code and physics made from scratch pretty much.

It would also include 3D wheel, yet it needs some work, currently it is using raycastings, but I would be trying to make one that works with actual mesh colliders for the tire, so is way more accurate on surface detection.

At this very moment I;m finishing up iTS refactoring(Testing and multithreading implementation), so when thats finished i would be back on iRDS refactoring

Slipangle likes this.
  20. Vancete

Vancete

Any updated documentation? I'm interested in RCC integration.

Thanks

21. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello @Vancete the integration of any thirdparty physics uses the same steps as the integration on the documentation for Edys physics, but just using the corresponding physics folder on the included compressed archive with all the third party physics integration scripts. :)

22. fredastaire

fredastaire

I’m having an issue with the nwh physics cars not being auto controlled by irds

23. rhodnius

rhodnius

You mean the AI cars are not moving or you are trying to use the Auto steering/brake/throttle for the player?

24. fredastaire

fredastaire

the cars on the rolling start dont get controlled by your system they just crash and the player car does not get controlled by your asset

25. rhodnius

rhodnius

I see, sounds like it does not have the implementation for auto controlling the player, would double check this

26. Upri5e

Upri5e

Hello, is there a more detailed setup guide for the minimap ? ive been trying to change its size to fit my map sprite, but i cant seem to get it to work. i can only zoom in and out, but not letting me fit it with my image sprite

27. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello i would make a video for it, is a bit more work than other features to get it working as it is not automated and depends on where on the world position is your track positioned, then you need to adjust the offsets of the minimap to get it to match. definitely a video would be easier to understand so i would be uploading one

Edit: here is a video

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Upri5e likes this.
  28. MoudiSoubraRVR

MoudiSoubraRVR

Hello!

I've been trying to figure out the correct setup to stop the car from flying and flipping uncontrollably after a high speed collision. So far everything I've tried hasn't really fixed this. After a high speed collision I want the car to stay stuck onto the ground, can you advise on how to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

29. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello!

Well that's really something that needs to be done separately as it would be normal for it to happen from a physics perspective, also Unity physics (physX) is not so good with high speed collisions, so my strongest advice would be to do a script that detects this type of collisions (measuring the impact force/velocity to know is a high speed one) and setting directly to the rigidbody the velocity you would like it to have (0 in this case seems to be for what you want)

cheers

30. OVIOAli

OVIOAli

Hello, I was looking demo scene. (DemoSceneMobile/Scene/MobileScene) Vehicles can't turn but slide. After some sliding they bump somewhere. What could be cause of this? (I'm using URP) upload_2021-6-21_17-19-30.png

31. rhodnius

rhodnius

sounds like the physics material on the track collider could have the dynamic friction set to a value lower than 1, can you please check and report back

32. OVIOAli

OVIOAli

I put the physic material from iRDS folder, but nothing has changed. But now I'm getting errors.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    IRDSCarVisuals.tireModelVisuals () (at <8b8fe767dd3c41c6be19d3943fcf1af9>:0)
    IRDSCarVisuals.Update () (at <8b8fe767dd3c41c6be19d3943fcf1af9>:0)

OK, I handled errors. It was about skidmarks. But turning problem is still same.

33. rhodnius

rhodnius

would be good if you could share a video and settings of the car (suspension and tires mostly) so I could check them up

34. OVIOAli

OVIOAli

So I recoreded a video about this.

35. rhodnius

rhodnius

oh it seems you have the rear tires with steering too, thats why they are unable to turn, just make max steering angle on the rear tires to be 0 that would fix it :)

36. OVIOAli

OVIOAli

I saw "max stering angle" in suspension menu. But rear max steering angle was 0 in prefab mode. I take this ss from play mode. It looks like steering is fine, if i'm not wrong.
    upload_2021-6-23_10-27-58.png

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

hmm yes it seems fine, i think easiest and fastest way to find out whats going on would be doing a remote session to check it out, PM me if you would like to do so.

38. anpd03

anpd03

Anyone using this together with Randomation physics with good results? Been eyeing this asset and looks really nice but would like to make sure it works well with Randomation.

39. hubaleque

hubaleque

Hi, I'm using your physics system and I'm testing the forcefeed back, from the steering wheel, but the script has a reference error in a variable like "wheelMenu"

public WheelMenu wheelMenu;

could you help me how can i solve this problem?

40. n00b_013

n00b_013

I'm trying to use the Rewired script, but it's disabling the script on play.. Following errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.CarControllerAnalogueInput () (at Assets/iRDS/Scripts/Rewired/IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.cs:291)
    3. IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.Update () (at Assets/iRDS/Scripts/Rewired/IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.cs:265)
    In the following snippet, line 8 & 34.. Anyone has any idea how to resolve?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Update () {
    2.         if (carInputs.auto3 && useGearShifter) useGearShifter = false;
    3.         if (Time.timeScale != 0)
    4.         {
    5.             if (carInputs.carPilot == true)    
    6.             {
    7.                 if (float.IsNaN(handbrake))handbrake = 0;
    8.                 CarControllerAnalogueInput();
    9.             }
    10.         }else{
    11.             handbrake = 0;
    12.             brake = 0;
    13.             throttle = 0;
    14.             throttleInput =0;
    15.             throttleInput1 = 0;
    16.             steering = 0;
    17.         }
    18.     }
    20.     void CarControllerAnalogueInput()
    21.     {
    22.         // Steering
    23.         if (!steerRawInput.analogRawInputs) {
    24.             Vector3 carDir = transform.forward;
    25.             float fVelo = body.velocity.magnitude;
    26.             Vector3 veloDir = body.velocity * (1f / fVelo);
    27.             float angle = -Mathf.Asin(Mathf.Clamp(Vector3.Cross(veloDir, carDir).y, -1f, 1f));
    28.             float optimalSteering = angle / (carInputs.maxSteerLock * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    29.             if (fVelo < 1)
    30.                 optimalSteering = 0;
    32.             float steerInput = 0;
    34.             steerInput = rewiredPlayer.GetAxis(steeringAxis);
    36.             if (steerInput < steering)
    37.             {
    38.                 float steerSpeed = (steering>0)?(1f/(steerReleaseTime+veloSteerReleaseTime*fVelo)) :(1f/(steerTime+veloSteerTime*fVelo));
    39.                 if (steering > optimalSteering)
    40.                     steerSpeed *= 1f + (steering-optimalSteering) * steerCorrectionFactor;
    41.                 steering -= steerSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    42.                 if (steerInput > steering)
    43.                     steering = steerInput;
    44.             }
    45.             else if (steerInput > steering)
    46.             {
    47.                 float steerSpeed = (steering<0)?(1f/(steerReleaseTime+veloSteerReleaseTime*fVelo)) :(1f/(steerTime+veloSteerTime*fVelo));
    48.                 if (steering < optimalSteering)
    49.                     steerSpeed *= 1f + (optimalSteering-steering) * steerCorrectionFactor;
    50.                 steering += steerSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    51.                 if (steerInput < steering)
    52.                     steering = steerInput;
    53.             }
    54.         }else {
    55.             steerRawInput.LowPassFilterFactor = steerRawInput.updateInterval / steerRawInput.LowPassKernelWidthInSeconds;
    56.             float steer  = LowPassFilterAccelerometer(rewiredPlayer.GetAxis(steeringAxis),ref steerRawInput.lowPassValue,steerRawInput.LowPassFilterFactor);
    57.             if (steer > steerRawInput.deadZone || steer < -steerRawInput.deadZone){
    58.                 steer = Mathf.Sign( steer ) * ( Mathf.Abs(steer) - steerRawInput.deadZone ) / ( 1 - steerRawInput.deadZone );
    59.                 steering = steer * steerRawInput.sensitivity;
    60.             }else steering = 0;
    61.         }
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

41. rhodnius

rhodnius

this one sounds like you are missing the logitech SDK on your project

This null reference seems to be that you may have missed adding the rewired input manager into your scene

42. hubaleque

hubaleque

Well, I did some tests with your car physics, I found it much better than the competitors, it's very close to real physics, congratulations, I'm redoing a logitech g29 input, and something I noticed and wanted to ask you for your help.
    When I squeeze the clutch and release it hard and accelerate at the same time the car does not transfer the full load to the wheel in terms of power/torque, is there any method I can change to transfer this load immediately to the wheels? something like powerslide in real life in what cars do?

43. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks for the comment!

About the clutch, i think it could be the press/release rate you may have, try making the input to be directly into the clutch input of the IRDSCarControlInput class

44. fredastaire

fredastaire

Is there a way to make the specific ai list bigger than amount of ai cars in race?

the issue I have is ai 1 if I set it to say grid position 10 and only have nine cars for ai it changes the ai 1 grid position to a car in the race and the last car in the list is excluded.

45. rhodnius

rhodnius

maybe trying to add 1 more specific AI to the specific AI list could do the trick.

You are using only AI cars and no player?

46. fredastaire

fredastaire

I have four more cars in specific ai than what I have in ai cars to race and it still only uses the first six regardless of if the grid pos I set them

47. MoudiSoubraRVR

MoudiSoubraRVR

Hello!

When I have a race track with multiple paths that lead to the same ending, how do I deal with that in IRDS to allow the AI to take any path they want?

Thanks,
    Soubra

48. fredastaire

fredastaire

What is the line to call specific ai car prefab string?

49. fredastaire

fredastaire

50. rhodnius

rhodnius

It would use the AI cars per the sequence on the list, not per grid positions, not sure if this is what you are referring to?

The AI can use random/shortest path decision which you can set on the level load object :)

Not sure what you are referring to? if you use specific AI cars, the system would instantiate (if available on level load preloaded car list and the prefab does match the string) the car you specify on the prefab string, not sure if this is what you were asking

Would strongly suggest we could chat on the Discord channel to be able to understand better the problem, as I'm still not yet really understanding the issue :)