Search Unity

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Hi.

In my case the car has 2 colliders, one mesh and one box, and both are scaled to 1. Looking at IRDSCarControlInput.CarSize() this should be OK(?).

Here is a screenshot of the Input module attached to the AI VehicleController script.

upload_2020-9-24_10-32-40.png

And here is a screenshot of the VehicleInputActions InputActionAsset

upload_2020-9-24_9-56-45.png

2. rhodnius

rhodnius

I see, then sounds like it is interfering with the scripts that is settings the inputs for the AI, is there anyway to disable those inputs?

PD: would be faster if i could take a look at the proyect, let me know if a remote session could be possible and if you want to do so.

3. crownracing

crownracing

4. crownracing

crownracing

Can we use Gamesparks instead of Photon for network multiplayer?

5. rhodnius

rhodnius

I have not tested it out, but if is very similar to Photon, wont see a reason for it not to work.

6. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

@rhodnius
    1. Is there any documentation there for integrating RCC cars into the iRDS system
    2. Is there any documentation other than the iRDS readme file and the youtube videos to understand the iRDS Car Setup ?

7. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @chelladurai_unity
    For integrating RCC you just need to follow the steps on the readme file (the steps for rigging Edy's VP) but instead of extracting the Edys VP folder extracting RCC folder, the steps would be the same for the rest.

About the car setup, what information you are currently needing that is not available on the readme or youtube videos? so i could provide them for sure :)

8. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

Great , thanks for the heads up on RCC .

Our team wants some more information on how the Suspension settings, Tyre settings affect the physics , as doing trial and error on the parameters are getting the desired results

rhodnius likes this.
  9. rhodnius

rhodnius

I see, would be awesome if you could tell which results are you looking for, so i could suggest which parameters to adjust. A good start could be taking the settings from one of the demo cars and start from there.

ChellaG2w likes this.
  10. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

We did the same apporach as you mentioned .
    1. We copied all values from a demo car (Mustang) and applied it to one of our cars .
    2. Modified few suspension parameters to get desired results .

Modifying suspension caused problems when the vehicle goes in high speed (steering is working but the car isnt turning )

So we wanted to train ourselves better on understanding the parameters before we modify them ,as we have dedicated team working on this .

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

I understand, how fast the car is going when this happens? if the game is aiming a more arcade style physics, you could add some torque on the Y axis of the car to help it to turn. another thing could be decreasing the lift coefficient on the wings, so at more velocity the car would be pushed more to the ground and the tires would have more traction.

12. mkg2w

mkg2w

Hi @rhodnius , would it be possible to do a remote session to show you the problem we are facing with the IRDS physics? Please have a look at the attached in-game screenshots ; vehicle are bouncing over the place. There are no problems when some of the vehicle parameters are within certain ranges, but a combination of parameters get the vehicles to behave this way.

Attached Files:

13. rhodnius

rhodnius

Sure, you can send me an email or a PM to coordinate the remote session

14. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

@rhodnius we found that the scale issues where a source of the problem . After fixing them and creating a new car , we can see that the cars are little bouncy with the default parameter configuration .
    1. Is it possibly a wrong configuration in the tyre setup while creating a new car?
    2. Is it possibly a wrong configuration in the collider

15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Usually that bounciness would be from the suspension settings, which suspension settings you currently have set for that car?

16. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

The suspension type is "Old" . We tried
    1. Different suspension types
    2. Copy paste suspension paramters from a default iRDS demo car

Still issues where same

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

I see, would have to take a look at it to see what else could be the issue, let me know if we could do a remote session to check it out ;)

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi! Can I use the driving system only with UnityCar just the AI and not everything else ?

19. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

Sure , we have sent a mail regarding the queries .Please let me know about the time of the call.

20. rhodnius

rhodnius

Not sure what you mean with only the AI and not everything else, can you please give a bit more details?

You can use the system with 3rd party physics without using iRDS physics for sure, not sure if this is what you meant. But you can not remove iRDS Physics scripts.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sure, I meant can I use IRDS with my own vehicle controller, like having only steering, throttle, brake commands as 'inputs' for my controller ?

22. rhodnius

rhodnius

I see, you mean like your own "physics", sure you just need to use any of the included third party physics interfaces scripts included as a base for making it work with your own controller.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks is there a link to that specific documentation for that ?

24. rhodnius

rhodnius

You can check on the readme, there are the steps to use it with Edys VP which is the same for the other included 3rd party physics interface script, for making a new interface script there is no documentation, but those scripts for other 3rd party physics would be the base you need to implement your own, in case you have any questions, just let me know

Deleted User likes this.
  25. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

@rhodnius
    Added buttons support for steering, throttle and brake for the analog inputs.

• This is mentioned in the documentation , how do we set this up?
    • Brake button is working fine . The cars steering is working great in keyboard , but doesn’t turn when we use mobile steering buttons ( both left and right ).

26. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello!

The Buttons you set must be also setup on the inputs manager of Unity editor as well for them to work.

About the mobile controls, are you adding it with LevelLoad object? you need to make sure the Mobile control layout you created is the one selected for been used on the MobileControlsManager, if you could share a few screenshots of how you have it setup, that would help to be able to understand what you have done so far and give you better guide on what to do :)

27. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

Yep , i have added it in the LevelLoad object .Please refer the screenshots

Attached Files:

28. vincespeed

vincespeed

Hi there Rodnius. I have some issues with subtracks. I have a main track and two subtracks:
    -Subtrack 1 should be used only when the cars start (They don't start the race inside the closed track, they start on a straight that enters the main track).
    -Subtrack 2 should be used only once by each AI CAR (This is a slower portion inside the Main Track) in a whole race.
    I currently have no access to subtracks in scripts. Is there a way to access them?
    I imagined I could do something like this:
    -Set the subtrack1 as the track to be followed in Awake/Start;
    -Place a trigger that when hit by AI cars after race starts, tells them to switch to Main Track (subtrack1 won't be used anymore).
    In the iRDS Api Doc I can see a "SubtrackChosedMode", but I can't access it in IRDSCarControllerAI. I'm using the latest version from the store. Thanks for helping.
    -

29. bretluke

bretluke

Hey everyone, I'm pretty sure there was a Discord created for this asset a little while back...is that still active? If so, can someone post an invite link?

30. rhodnius

rhodnius

here it is:

https://discord.gg/YBs5fGYG

I think would be best if we could do a remote session to get you going, as those settings seems to be ok for me.

The system was not really made to be used in that way, the AI is made to actually choose between the options it have, but i can list you here the fields used so you could try to achieve what you want to do on your specific case.

there is a field called nextTrack, which is an int that tells the subtrack index the AI has choosen next, from there the system would build a path until it reaches the main track using the nextTrackPath list which you could use to force the AI to go on a specified path, this nextTrack field is going to be set each time a new lap is registered so you could do your override on the OnLapCompleted event IRDSNavigateTWaypoints class instance of each AI to inject your own decision, you can also populate directly the nextTrackPath list and set the nextTrack to 0 so it wont add anything else to the path you made also should be done at the OnLapCompleted event for each AI.

One thing you need to know is, that you wont be able to start a race from a subtrack, so you need to change the way you have your layout or how you have your subtracks in order to match the layout and the way you want them to race on the track.

Any other questions you may have just let me know

31. Upri5e

Upri5e

I dont know where else to ask this to be honest, but anyone knows if theres a way to use the new input system to control the player car instead of the input manager ?

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

Here is totally fine!

yes you can use the new input system, not out of the box, but you can for sure. There is a rewired script included in a zip/rar file that could be used as a base, and you just need to set your inputs to external to use another script for input (on LevelLoad object set your input to external and add that new script to all cars)

n00b_013 likes this.
  33. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

Query 1 :
    How to switch between layouts for Mobile Controls at runtime ?
    Ex: button 1 should enable layout 1 and button 2 should enable layout2

Setup :.(PFA)
    -> Have one MobileControlManager with 2 layouts for testing .
    -> One layout has Button Steering and other layout has Touch Steering

Current Scenario:
    At runtime it always enables the first layout .
    Can i use IRDSMobileControlers to change them ?

34. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

While using the mobile UI controls and applying brake , it stops the car but doesnt go in reverse .
    Should we write a custom code to handle that ?

35. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @chelladurai_unity

You should be able to switch between layouts at runtime by setting this value with the index of the layout you would like to use:
    IRDSLevelLoadVariables.Instance.firstPlayerSettings.controlAsigments.mobileControlSelected

this is if you have not yet loaded the track scene, if you have already loaded the track scene then you should do it in the player car in the class instance of:
    IRDSPlayerControls.mobileControlSelected

and after setting it calling these 2 functions in this order:

IRDSPlayerControls.ClearCurrentMobileInput()
    IRDSPlayerControls.InitializeInputs()

This would effectively change the mobile input layout at runtime during the race.

about the brakes, if the car is in automatic gear shifting it should also autoreverse, if it is set to manual gear it won't do autoreverse.

Cheers

ChellaG2w likes this.
  36. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi.
    I'm interested in this asset.
    Does this asset include the Player's driving controller(like "Realistic Car Controller" asset)?

Thanks.

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello, not sure what the driving controller in Realistic Car Controller is, can you explain a bit more?

IRDS includes player control so you can drive the player car, not sure if that's what you mean?

combatsheep likes this.
  38. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, rhodnius.

I wanted to know that!:)

I have the unity project that already included the RCC, and i want to join the iRDS to the project.
    Now, I purchased it!:)

Thank you!;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  39. ChellaG2w

ChellaG2w

about the brakes, if the car is in automatic gear shifting it should also autoreverse, if it is set to manual gear it won't do autoreverse.
    - Thanks this worked

I have Auto throttle and auto gear shifting enabled , but when i presss the Mobile controls brake button , it does reverse and stays in reverse . (have attached a reference video) Click here

Is is possible to throttle in front when i release the brake button ?

IRDSPlayerControls.ClearCurrentMobileInput()
    IRDSPlayerControls.InitializeInputs()
    This worked perfectly

combatsheep likes this.
  40. rhodnius

rhodnius

Oh I see what you mean, after you release the brake button, the car would keep in reverse, the most easy thing i can think off is to add to the button with the EventTrigger a PointerUp and create a very simple script like this one, and make the EventTrigger to call this method when PointerUp, this would set the Gear to First Gear when you release the brake button

public class SetFirstGear : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public void OnPointerUp()
    {
    IRDSStatistics.CurrentCar.GetCarInputs().Drivetrain.ChangeGearToTarget(2);
    }
    }

ChellaG2w likes this.
  41. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hello,

So after importing iRDS in a blank project I get a bunch of different errors in sample scenes and this should not be normal right?

https://ibb.co/0ctkQZM

I read in reviews that other users have had similar problem, and it is most likely some sort of API Updater bug, so I tried different Unity versions(5.6, 2018.3, 2018.4) but every time I get the same result... Is there anything else I can do to fix this? Or is this a different issue?

42. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello, seems like you may be running the wrong scene, demo 1 should be run from initialscene scene and not from the other ones.

43. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Still get a few array index out of range errors and missing scripts on objects warnings when I try to play from the initial scenes. Also terrains are missing materials. I am not that worried about sample scenes since I do not really need them, just want to be sure that the package is imported correctly. I guess I will try to build a scene from scratch and see how it goes...

44. Upri5e

Upri5e

Anyone tested IRDS for a motorcycle game? Im trying to use super bike kit external physics thats within the asset and its missing a controlhub script for me.

45. rhodnius

rhodnius

This is weird, can you please send a screenshot of the version of iRDS you are using?

46. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hmm, controlHub is from Super Bike Kit, maybe that have changed on earlier versions of Super Bike Kit, would look into it, thanks for reporting it

Upri5e likes this.
  47. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @eddyjohnson3 I see you are a user of iRDS from back 2013, make sure you are on the latest version, also wondering if it is on a fresh project or you are updating one? if the version you are trying to update from is way too old that may be the issue.

Let me know :)

48. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

I am actually trying out the package on a fresh project. I have an old project I am planning to update indeed, but currently I am planning to redo the project from scratch on top of a new version of iRDS. So to start off what I did was, I got the latest version from asset store and just tried out the sample scenes just to see how everything looks right now. When running sample scenes, I got the errors/warnings I described before. As I stated before, this occurs in different versions of Unity too. I haven't had time to try to build my own scene yet.

Also another question: Does iRDS has or is planning to have a built in qualifying system? I don't think I saw anything in the docs about that...

49. fredastaire

fredastaire

I wrote a few scripts for qualification myself that works really slick if you want I can offer it for use I have multiple styles of qualifying from dirt track style to a traditional to a indy500 style that I made.

50. Upri5e

Upri5e

Is it possible to make the vehicles more "arcadey" ? i can see an arcade option in the tire settings, but i cant figure out the right values for everything else to make the vehicles easier to control and more of an arcade than realistic. if anyone done this before, it would be great if i can see the values for the car setup, would give me a small idea on how to change mine