Search Unity

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. fredastaire

fredastaire

How do I go about making a caution flag period if an ai or player car spins out

2. StopTheCarStudios

StopTheCarStudios

Thanks. That's exactly the tip I was looking for! For future reference, anybody can run a script like this while in edit mode to grab the markers.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    6. public class GenerateMarkers : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     private void Awake()
    9.     {
    11.         EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoadNetwork eR = new EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoadNetwork();
    12.         EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoad road = eR.GetRoadByName("Oval Track");
    14.         foreach (Vector3 v in road.GetMarkerPositions())
    15.         {
    16.             GameObject go = new GameObject(v.ToString());
    18.             go.transform.SetPositionAndRotation(v, new Quaternion());
    19.             go.transform.SetParent(this.transform);
    20.         }
    21.     }
    22. }

rhodnius and hopeful like this.
  3. obstudio

obstudio

Hi could you upload some demo. Old ones are gone.

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

You can call the EnableSpeedRestriction method on each car you want the yellow flag to be activated

5. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hmm i though i had the demo moved to another host already, will double check it ASAP

6. rhodnius

rhodnius

Demos seems up right now

upload_2018-7-30_13-5-59.png

obstudio likes this.
  7. fredastaire

fredastaire

I’m using 2018 unity and after a race finishes my standings do not show any help?

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

Do you have the Standings UI setup on your race scene?

9. fredastaire

fredastaire

Yes race finishes and the standings panel is still grayed out

10. rhodnius

rhodnius

would be looking at this asap

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @fredastaire !

I just checked it out on Unity 2018.1.2f1 and seems to be working just fine, here is a screenshot

upload_2018-8-14_9-0-38.png

Make sure you have the following settings on your inspector
    upload_2018-8-14_9-1-31.png

12. fredastaire

fredastaire

It looks like I need to set up an animator for the standings do you have any documentation how to best set it up?

13. fredastaire

fredastaire

I have it sorted out

rhodnius likes this.
  14. rhodnius

rhodnius

Awesome! if you could share what was it, so others could also know, would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

15. fredastaire

fredastaire

Had to add an animator to it and name the animations to match the show and hide

Also still trying to sort out how to get 24 cars standings to fit on canvas screen based on how your GUI is set up for a runtime array it’s hard to make the panel fit screen space

16. fredastaire

fredastaire

Is there plans in the works for a qualifying system?

I’m making a sprintcar game and would like to have it be realistic by having practice than qualifying than heat races and a last chance race and than feature race.

My expertise is in modeling not scripting so any help is much obliged.

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @fredastaire currently I'm working on improving the actual code iRDS have (refactoring it).

Adding the system you want shouldn't be that hard, since all you want to do it to set some settings for each type of race, i.e for practice, and maybe qualifying you may want the player to do the race alone, without any AIs and for the others just a normal race with AIs present?

18. fredastaire

fredastaire

Rhod

That sounds great I wasn’t sure how I would make it work my inspiration is from the old dirtbag games and dirt oval races have a very different format compared to indycar or nascar.

19. fredastaire

fredastaire

4F9C347E-449B-4DCF-92A8-7CF7FB2B1477.jpeg I am getting this odd final standings after a race is finished any ideas?

20. ChillingHorse

ChillingHorse

Hi!

One thing hard to understand.
    If I create a scene with IRDSManager and rig my track, process track data. Then I press apply to IRDSManager prefab in order for it to save the track information (If I do not press apply button then all data is not saved...), then I save my scene1.

I Copy and paste the scene1 to scene2. Then I make corrections in IRDSManager track setup and also have to press Apply for IRDSManager prefab..

Then I check scene1, and it is not right as suppose to be, but as in scene2.

I know this is because I pressed apply for IRDSManager prefab. But this means I have to "brake" the prefab association each time I add IRDSManager in each scene? (btw, I add it by pressing GameObject>IRDS>AI system)

21. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi there, you dont need to do the Apply for getting things saved, that is making the issue actually, since if all of the iRDSManagers you have are connected to the same prefab, when you update the prefab with one or the other settings of the scenes it overrides the other one you had, you just need to do your changes on each scene and just save the scene without hitting the apply button to apply the changes to the prefab, indeed you could just brake the prefab connection if you want.

Let me know if this helps.

22. rhodnius

rhodnius

This had to do with the Anchoring and width sizes you have, make sure to work on it for the resolution you want it to run or use the proper uGUI components to make it auto resize properly, that all is supposed to be managed by the UI.

Let me know how it goes

23. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Jose,

Owning iRDS for a while now but never came to actually using it in a project. I was wondering if it's possible to set/define point to point races fi like race from one city to another like seen in the latest racing games. Any special things I would need to consider?

24. rhodnius

rhodnius

You just need to use the IRDSManager with the option of closed track unchecked.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

25. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Thanks, will give it a try. I however encountered an error when switching the physics to Edy's 5 version:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/iRDS/Scripts/Edys Unity5/IRDSCarControllInputEdys.cs(69,27): error CS0619: `IRDSCarControllInput.GetGoPits()' is obsolete: `Please use the property GoPits on IRDSNavigateTWaypoints instead'

26. rhodnius

rhodnius

Yup just follow what the error said, and use the property ;)

27. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

I know and did fix it on my end but guessing if you aren't updating the code on your end you'll get similar remarks in the near future. :p

rhodnius likes this.
  28. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Another question after going through the documentation: if I was to build a city and wanted to have multiple tracks what would be the best approach? According to the docs the sub tracks are all starting from a main track. Can I have sub tracks that are in no sense related to another track?

29. rhodnius

rhodnius

hahaha ok gotcha, i would update it then , thanks!

Well you can start with a main track and have sub tracks from it and also sub tracks from subtracks and so on.

30. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

- What can be done so when the opponent do reach the finish line in case of a sprint race they continue for a while? I'm having a problem that the opponents do stop at the finish line preventing other cars to get over the finish.
    - Where can I play with the offset (height) of the race line rendering? In my current setting the line is drawn below the street object in a gray color.

31. rhodnius

rhodnius

About sprints, what happens is the car does not have any more points to follow, so making them drive more may cause unexpected behaviors. You could however make the be untouchable like ghosts, by changing the cars layers into a layer that does not collide with other cars.

The offset of the race line is set with the markers itself, you need to raise a bit the markers you have placed along the race track, usually using ctrl+shift and dragging the markers puts them automatically on top of the collider of the track.

cheers!

32. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Can I remove the cars by API that have finished the sprint? This would be a more clearer solution for my issue. Did check the API doc but didn't find anything except some remove/delete car calls but marked for internal use.
    Edit: I was able to raise the race line but where can I set the material used for rendering the line?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  33. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Hi @rhodnius

I am using the latest versions of iRDS and EVP and for some reason my EVP AI do not brake anymore. They just drive full throttle and end up crashing into walls. I started a new project in Unity 2018.2 with both packages loaded and setup everything as required.

I have used iRDS and EVP together for a long time now and cannot understand why it isn't working now.

Also, the link to your documentation is broken.

I just checked the previous version. It works 100%. Guess I'll just stick with that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  34. Frimus

Frimus

I am having an issue regarding the braking system. If I try to brake at high speed and rotate the steering wheel at the same time, the car loses control and makes a 180-degree turn. If you could help me out with this issue, it would be great.

35. ChillingHorse

ChillingHorse

Dear rhodnius,

We are doing some testing with IRDS on Android -> Oculus Go.
    Our TEST track is simple without any complicated object, as well all cars ar boxes on wheels..

With 6 opponents, we have about 45fps on OculusGO. After race finish the fps jumps to 59-60fps.

Well as we think this is because AI stops "thinking" as race drivers, and starts just to follow the race line - becomes dumber after race is finished.. Therefore workload on CPU is decreased, and fps increases..

rhodnius, this is true? If our theory is true, then is there any way to cut some scripts or some processing at the race time, so that we can increase fps with 6 opponents?

Thank You!

36. rhodnius

rhodnius

Yes you can do that, using IRDSPlaceCars.RemoveCar for doing so.

The race line shader needs to be set in the RaceLineRenderer object which is child of IRDSManager

Would be checking this out, for sure something might have changed on EVP.

This could be because your brake force is too high, also increasing the Tire inertia would help a lot on stabilizing the tires output forces, use a value between 8 - 25

Currently there is no way to cut some scripts, as they are needed, is weird you get those results, i dont think there is any shortcuts taken when the race ends, quick question, do you perhaps have the race line visual aid enabled? you should disable it as it consumes processing power.

Sorry for the delay on answer, not sure why i didnt got any emails from this posts

37. Legendary_keith

Legendary_keith

Hey rhodnius,
    Quick question: how can i stop my cars from wobbling?
    Only the cars that i added (not the cars that come with IRDS) keeps wobbling like a lowrider.

Thanks,
    Keith

38. Zaddo

Zaddo

Hi Rhodnius,

I am new to IRDS. I have your source version. I was hoping to get a couple pointers to help me get started with this asset. i.e. Just quick pointers to get me going in the right direction.

Background: I am using Michele Di Lena's UnityCar and EasyRoads3D. I just want to use IRDS for steering input. Power/Brake are controlled by another process.

I believe I need IRDSNavigateTWaypoints for the steering. But this looks like it is tightly integrated with the rest of the IRDS components.

Before I start hacking away at the code. Could you please let me know if there are any other components I will need to handle the steering? And any other tips you can offer that might save me some time?

One other question, are there any tools for creating a racing line. Or can this only be done manually as per your training video?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  39. fredastaire

fredastaire

I’m using 2017.3.1f1 and when I finish a race and not first the player car shows in first with place I finish but the first place car is not shown and player car is shown also in there actual finishing spot as well and after about 30 seconds the order of all cars gets jumbled up any help?

40. fredastaire

fredastaire

This happens with demo scene as well

41. JedBeryll

JedBeryll

Hi!

I have added loot to the maps that the players can pick up. Is there a way to tell the irds AI to pick them up? The loot is placed on the road, the AI should just move a bit to the left or right... Ideas?

42. fredastaire

fredastaire

I had that issue too but if you adjust the anti roll bars it helped my cars

43. Legendary_keith

Legendary_keith

Thanks, but it's not totally working, my cars wobble less than before but it's still wobbling like crazy ...

44. fredastaire

fredastaire

Up the number if the mass is heavy higher the number required to prevent the wobble

45. speedy19802

speedy19802

good day. I use IRDS V3.2.4 sorce, Unity 2018.2.8f1 and Modyen CarPhysics.
    My problem is. When the race starts, car does not drive faster than 70 km / h.
    Have IRDSCarControllInputEdys pegged to Modyen. In earlier version, it was fine. Now notice the kfriction 0 on 3.402823e + 38 and kfriction 1 on NaN when I start the race.
    Do you have any idea why this is. The setting is the same as in previous version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtn9a0py9t56u0l/1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft5mj5ppxfhw2sg/2.png?dl=0

46. gibmation

gibmation

Hi rhodnius,

If using IRDS with Realistic Car Controller physics, is it possible to use the Rewired intergration "out of the box" ?
    Thanks in advance
    G.

47. FloBeber

FloBeber

Hi @rhodnius , quick question -- with iRDS, is it possible to create AI behavior without using any waypoint? My game is an infinite runner and I procedurally generate the track .

48. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi there Zaddo,

Sorry for the long waiting, not sure why i'm again not getting emails notifications from this thread, sorry about that!

What you could do is simply overriding the inputs you dont want to pass to UnityCar, by modiffying the interface scripts that come on the UnityCar folder on the sipped file for other car physics.

Currently the racing line can be done by dropping a group of game objects into iRDSManager inspector or by using the tool included to place it manually.

I would check this out to make sure all is working properly or make a fix if needed ASAP.

You could use the obstacle feature and use the option of hitting it for the AI to try to take them, write to my email if you need further details (josegarrido@dagagames.com)

I would look into this ASAP to check what could be going wrong, would get back to you

You could use Rewired for iRDS physics out of the box, haven't tested it with RCC but you should be able to make an script to be able to use it.

I answered to your email :)

Sorry for the long waiting to answer your questions, didn't got the email notification.

FloBeber likes this.
  49. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

Just found the issue on the final standings, would be uploading the fix today.

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback

50. Freznosis

Freznosis

@rhodnius It's good to see you have fixed some of the things I recommended to you, but I have a few more recomenndatrions to put forth.

1. I think you should take a little time to clean up the demo scenes. Lots of objects contain deprecated references, old scripts, missing scripts, etc. I might even recommend to make some completely new demo scenes that show off all features that are in your package. Such as different races, certain AI behaviours, rolling starts, pits, etc. Your asset has a lot of features but only the tip of the iceberg is being shown in the demo scenes.
    2. Secondly, I think you should clean up your scripts folders, and also remove any unused or unecessary scripts from the package. A lot of the scripts you provide are useful to learn from, but they make a lot of garbage and in turn decreases the performance since the garbage collector will need to deal with it more frequently.

Completely untouched project from the Asset store has tons of warnings.
    Unity_2018-12-07_22-56-46.png

Current scripts cause a lot of garbage by using GetComponent<>, Enumerators, etc in Update methods.
    Unity_2018-12-07_23-05-36.png

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    rhodnius likes this.