Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. rhodnius

rhodnius

I'm uploading both version (Pro and lite) to the asset store with the fixes/changes, would keep updating more things after also.

Rhod,

2. vincespeed

vincespeed

Hello guys! First of all let me say thank you for this great product. I am currently experiencing issues with pitstops. I'll try to resume the issue:

I set all pitstop-related variables as suggested in the attached readme. But when cars enter pit lane (both AI cars and Player Cars), they reduce their speed to 0, accelerate up to 10 km/h, then again go back to 0. Eventually this results in the car getting stuck (debugged the "getcarstucked()" method) and the car goes in reverse for a long distance.
    Is there some kind of solution to this kind of problem?
    Thank you for your attention :)

3. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi vincespeed,

Which version of Unity and iRDS you are having the issue on? Would take a look as soon as I can.

Rhod,

4. vincespeed

vincespeed

Thank you for your fast reply :)
    For IRDS I have the latest version live on the assetstore :) and Unity 5.6.4p2

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  5. rhodnius

rhodnius

Ok sorry for the delay, i would be checking that soon and would post back here with a solution to it

vincespeed likes this.
  6. vincespeed

vincespeed

Thank you very much! If you need any more detail about the issue don't hesitate to ask :D

7. vincespeed

vincespeed

Sorry to add more problems on the one above, but while developing other aspects of the game, i stumbled upon other questions which I need to solve in order to proceed. I'll try to be brief.

Question n.1: I can't access Front Wing in script. By using "GetComponent<IRDSCarControllerAI>().wing" I can edit the values of car's Rear Wing at runtime. Accessing "GetComponent<IRDSWing>()" will give a Null Reference. So here the question is simple: how can I edit at runtime the values for the Front Wing?

Question n.2: I use rolling start for some scene, and place the "rolling start grid position" for players 4-500 meters before the starting line. Lap time starts when the car control pass from AI to Player. I would like to know if I can make it so that time starts when player crosses the start line, or if is there a "Reset lap time" method, in order for me to reset the lap time with a collider on the grid line. Is there a way to do it?

Question n.3: I enable TyreWear. But no matter the value I set for tyre hardness, whenever I debug tyre wear value is always 100, as if it doesn't wear at all.

Sorry to be such a pain, issues apart this Package is an excellent-quality real time-saver and definetely I would buy it again!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  8. rhodnius

rhodnius

Checking those in this very moment, and the old questions you posted, sorry for the delay, has been a crazy busy week :confused:

9. vincespeed

vincespeed

Not a problem at all :)

10. rhodnius

rhodnius

Ok about the pits stop, for some weird reason the dll version I uploaded last time is not the last version, if you email me i could send those to you directly right now, and the issue you saw would no longer be bothering.

checking the other things on the list you sent

Rhod,

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Actually i see when i open iRDS from the asset store to import it, that the version imported says 3.2, and it should be 3.2.1, so maybe the asset store is not actually identifying there is an update, what version you see on the first iRDS popup when you recompile scripts or at unity startup?

12. rhodnius

rhodnius

If you see there 3.2, you would need to manually remove the Unitypackage at C:\Users\[your user]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Jose Garrido\Complete ProjectsSystems and delete the iRDS unitypackage in that folder and redownload from the Unity Asset store to get the version 3.2.1, not sure why the asset store is not identifying the update o_O

Confirmed that the above procedure would get you to the latest version, soooo weird asset store bug!

Sorry about that, but not much i can do about it sadly :(

13. vincespeed

vincespeed

On the iRDSManager component label it says v 3.2.1
    I must've disabled the initial popup icon, because I recall it once appeared, but it doesn't appear anymore at startup. Will email right now for the correct DLL for pitstops.

14. rhodnius

rhodnius

For these what i would do is, use GetComponentsInChildren to get all the wings available and then using the TransformPoint from the cars transform would know which wing is in front (z axis > 0) and which is rear (z axis <0)

you can use SetStartTime(float) for each cars you want to set the race start time, this is on iRDSCarControllerAI.

this last one i would have to check it more in deep, will do and would get back to you

Rhod,

15. vincespeed

vincespeed

Thank you Rhod. I followed your instructions (nevermind the last email about the "jumping cars" thing, i solved it). and solved the front wing and start time issues.
    Unfortunately, overwriting the new Dll didn't solve the Pit problem. The car tends to stop when it reaches the "Pit zone" (the zone were waypoints are marked as pit spots. There's nothing I can do about it. Also, if I cross the "PitEnter" trigger with a low speed (like <20km/h) the problem will rise even before the "pit zone". The car will just slow down until it stops, and then gets stuck and going in reverse. :(

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  16. rhodnius

rhodnius

hmm this is weird, i tried it out and they seem to do the pits stop pretty normal, i know i removed the getUnstuck check if they are in the pits and pitting to avoid entering this mode while they are actually making the pits stop.

I would write to your email to see in more detail what could be wrong.

Cheers!

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

I want to keep you updated on what I'm working on, currently I'm on the IRDSCarControllerAI class and some classes related to it, I'm reorganizing most of it and passing to other classes (new and some that are already there) to make it to have more sense, i.e. I'm creating a new class that would be like a Utility class for each car, that would hold some common stuff, like the Car size, some Aerodynamics calculations, and so on, which are currently part of the IRDSCarControllerAI class, but would be best to have on a single class that could be accessed from anywhere with the right properties to do so.

Would keep this updated with the progress, the idea is to be releasing those new stuff every few weeks, so you guys can benefit from the changes, even if they seems small at first.

EDIT: Also I'm moving everything to namespaces, so you could see IRDS.AI, IRDS.Game, IRDS.UI, IRDS.Camara and so on, which is better for organizing stuff, same for the physics of the car

I know is a bit slow process, but i think is worth to go for it and take this to a next level.

Cheers!

Rhod,

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    cygnusprojects likes this.
  18. vincespeed

vincespeed

Hello Jose. Sent you an email about a week ago but didn’t get a reply.
    It’s almost a month now that I’m struggling with the pitstop issues. This is a great asset, but the fact code can’t be accessed makes it so only you can debug/explore what is going on when certain troubles happens. I solved the double lap after pitstop with a (not so clean workaround) and the Tyre wear with another (not so clean workaround). But I absolutely need your help with pits. Otherwise the asset is unusable. There must be something which causes the car to freeze and get stuck. Being the cause jerky suspensions or whatever else, only you can point out what variable should I change, or what workaround should I take.
    Greetings

19. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @vincespeed ,

Sorry about the email, i missed it somehow, about the pits stops, what i saw on my tests is that the cars are unable to go at low speeds, making them really slow and jerky when they enter the pits, you would need to go with a setup of your car more similar to the demo cars that are included on the package, primarily about the tire slip multiplier, would check with you again in a remote session if needed.

Cheers!

Rhod,

20. manvsrice

manvsrice

rhodnius likes this.
  21. vincespeed

vincespeed

I tried to set the back "grip multiplier" to 1 to no avail. I also tried to use powertrain and suspensions settings similar to the ones of original cars... nothing. It's a month now that I try every single combination of values to zero on the problem. But had no luck. The cars will still jerk when pitting. Furthermore, I do not think the problem can be only related to my settings, because in race cars do not have any problem at all: if it were only tied to my settings, cars shouldnt even start from the grid, instead they correctly race (even after a crash they will correctly go back to the racing line without jerking). There should be something which is enabled or disabled when cars follows the pit line which causes all of these troubles -I suppose-.
    I have another problem now. I have two mobile layouts available for the player. But only the first one works. Everytime I select the second one with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. myCar.GetComponent<IRDSPlayerControls>().mobileControlSelected = 1;
    in the car inspector I can see that the mobile layout has correctly switched to the 2nd one, although buttons won't respond. Only the first layer works. :(

22. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @vincespeed , for the mobile layout switching, you need to call the following functions:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. IRDSPlayerControls playerControls = myCar.GetComponent<IRDSPlayerControls>();
    3. playerControls.mobileControlSelected = 1
    4. playerControls.ClearCurrentMobileInput();
    5. playerControls.InitializeInputs();
    This would switch to the selected one

About your other issue, I'm searching deep into it to correct this from the root, would get back with the fix soon.

Cheers!

Rhod,

23. rhodnius

rhodnius

24. vincespeed

vincespeed

For everyone landing on this page, I just want to say my 2 cents.
    The guys who made this package are simply awesome. Not only the package is top quality, also the customer support! Jose helped me in any possible way addressing all my issues and concerns described above! Again, this package is worth every cent.
    Thank you very much! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Scifa and rhodnius like this.
  25. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys!

I'm about to release V3.2.2 which have some of the refactoring I'm working on, the idea is to have more releases with these changes as i complete the refactoring.

You would need to do some code changes on your scripts if you have some scripts that reference to iRDS.

I'm also using namespaces now, so everything is more organized.

PD: This also includes the fixes to the issues vincespeed have reported

EDIT: The new namespaces only would be there for the source version, as Unity have the issue that when moving classes to a new namespace the reference of the scripts gets missing on all the game objects that have them when the classes are on Dlls, sadly :(

Cheers!

Rhod

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Scifa likes this.
  26. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

When trying to run the game in 2017.3, there are compiler errors. Error screen print attached, could you please check and help?

Thanks
    Mani

Attached Files:

27. rhodnius

rhodnius

Those errors are not from iRDS, you need to clean the standard assets folder

Cheers

Rhod

28. Hi,
    In your video (
    ), you show how to import markers from EasyRoads (From the RoadObjects09\Markers GameObject, which EasyRoads 2 used to populate with sub-GameObjects (transforms, I imagine), e.g., from the EasyRoads video from 2011: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EwDpwVINY7g/hqdefault.jpg (from
    ).
    However, this Markers item does not seem to exist anymore in the hierarchy produced by EasyRoads 3. I asked EasyRoads, and they said:
    "That video is v2. V3 includes a scripting API that gives access to all the road data including marker positions. This is Pro version only."
    Can iRDS still import the markers from EasyRoads 3 via this API?

29. mitis

mitis

rhodnius
    Hi you can give me a demo version I'm very interested in this project just in the web version is not downloading for 2 hours already we have an internet slow-paced skin to me
    My email mitis_87-06@inbox.ru

30. rhodnius

rhodnius

You could use the API to get those markers and then assign it to the iRDSManager through the inspector, since all iRDS needs is the transforms to know where to put the road pretty much

31. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi, sure i would get in touch with you to that email.

Cheers!

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

I have found a bug on latest version that make the system not to trigger the end of the race event, I have done the fix and would be uploading it today to the asset store for both versions.

Cheers

33. vincespeed

vincespeed

Hello Rhodnius,
    I am playing a bit with the raceline renderer (the one that should help players to correctly stay on track). Currently it doesn't seem to change color where the player should brake... my question is: is this feature already implemented? If yes, what shader should I select for it to change color?
    Thank you for your help :)

34. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @vincespeed, i have to check that out, as i removed a lot of non updated shaders in there and could have removed that one, but any alpha blending shader should work there as expected.

Cheers!

35. fredastaire

fredastaire

I’m having an issue when player does sub 20 second lap it doesn’t count towards lap count.

36. Meltdown

Meltdown

@rhodnius I'm giving IRDS another crack in my racing game but this time I'm having a weird issue.

I'm using Randomation Vehicle Physics, and I've setup everything according to the manual. The race starts, and then my vehicle accelerates (the value is received from carInputs.GetThrottleInput() in
    IRDSCarControllInputRandomation.cs

But no steering is being returned from carInputs.GetSteerInput(). My car just goes straight into the wall. I have setup the front wheels away to each wheel object on my front tyres.

Any suggestions?

My track looks setup correctly too.

Attached Files:

37. Meltdown

Meltdown

I figured this out, I only had 1 vehicle in my scene, and it was defaulting to my player vehicle, so the input was confused.
    I added another vehicle and the AI vehicle worked correctly.

38. rhodnius

rhodnius

I would double check this out, you mean that if you do the lap in less than 20 seconds?

Awsome!

39. fredastaire

fredastaire

40. rhodnius

rhodnius

Can you pls send me a screenshot of your track to see if it is super small, or is your car settings super top, so the car is super fast?

41. fredastaire

fredastaire

It’s a sprint at game 1/2 mile track lap times should be 14-17 seconds

42. fredastaire

fredastaire

Car top speed 150mph

43. fredastaire

fredastaire

Here’s the track

Attached Files:

44. rhodnius

rhodnius

Got it now! Is a drag track, will check sprint mode them

Cheers

45. fredastaire

fredastaire

Sprint car dirt oval game

46. rhodnius

rhodnius

Oh I see, then your issue most be the setting called number of waypoints on IRDSManager been too high, set it to a lower value like 200 and you should be good to go

47. fredastaire

fredastaire

Perfect that fixed it!

Thank you

rhodnius likes this.
  48. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys! btw, I'm adding support to NWH physics soon, already have the interface scripts done, so if anyone needs it, just email me and i would send it over.

Cheers!

49. StopTheCarStudios

StopTheCarStudios

Yeah I have the same question. I see that the new API let's you call public Vector3[] GetMarkerPositions() to get a list of all of the marker positions. However, I'm not following your instructions of assigning this list of markers to the iRDSManager.

I've played around for a bit but I figured you might be able to provide an answer quicker than I can work it out on my own! Any thoughts?

Link to their API: http://www.unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/ERRoad.html

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  50. rhodnius

rhodnius

You just need to have those Gameobjects in the hierarchy view inside a gameobject that is a parent of all those points, then just drag and drop it into IRDSManager in the settings tab (load markers option) and then just hit the button for the option you want those to be loaded as (waypoints, track limits, etc)

Let me know if this helps

Cheers!

unityunity