Search Unity

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. rhodnius

rhodnius

Yup it is possible, you need to also enable the Start race manually option, for it to wait for you.

Let me know if this helps,

Cheers!

Rhod,

2. Hi,
    Thanks again for your reply.
    I think I'm already doing this.

So, forgetting about my own code for now, I:
    Load your unmodified iRDS DemoScene1\Scenes\InitialScene
    (I imported the whole iRDS package to a new empty (Unity 5.6.0f3 Personal) project)
    I hit play.
    I select the "Unity Demo" track and default car
    The race preview starts as I'd expect; I left-click, and the race itself starts.

Now, I change LevelLoad from InitialScene to:
    Check: "Start the race Manually"
    Check: "Instantiate Cars Manually"

I think I'm expecting to see an "empty"/ "idle" "race" (because your code is not calling "StartTheRace"). I want the game to sit there, wait for me to add some cars, and then wake up when I call "StartTheRace". But that's not what happens:

I hit play, select the "Unity Demo" track and default car, I get the same null reference exception I was seeing in my own project:

ArgumentException: The Object you want to instantiate is null.
    UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.cs:239)
    UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.cs:151)
    IRDSPlaceCars.Awake ()

(And then a load of UI exceptions from the speedo (etc) scripts., which I can live with)

(this is while the preview is running)
    The same thing happens in DemoScene2\Scene\Offroadtrack and DemoSceneMobile\Scene\MobileScene

I feel like perhaps I'm doing something stupid here:$
    I'd be happy to text-chat on skype or email something similar if you prefer?
    I'm 5thWheel@gmail.com.

3. rhodnius

rhodnius

Would get back to you on that email.

Cheers!

Rhod,

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

Just found it is actually a small bug, just fixed it and would be uploading it shortly.

Thanks for the feedback @RafiRomero

Rhod,

5. Hi,
    Sorry if this is obvious, but:
    How do I stop / end / abort a race?

I've got my race set up manually the way I want, I call
    myIRDSStatistics.StartTheRace();
    and everything is great.

Now I want to abort the race (without reloading the scene).
    (Then I can drive my player car freely around the environment)
    Then I can manually add/remove cars, set their grid positions, and call StartTheRace() again to get my race countdown etc.

6. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi RafiRomero!

Hmm in this case you need to manually set each car EndRace to true on IRDSCarControllerAI and remove them using the IRDSPlaceCars.RemoveCar(IRDSCarControllerAI car) to get the cars out of the iRDSManager and other cars. After that you can just either disable the cars or destroy them (i wouldn't destroy them, just disable them and reuse it)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Rhod,

7. I'm doing:
    foreach (var car in raceStats.GetAllDrivers()) {
    if (car.isActiveAndEnabled)
    car.SetEndRace(true);
    carPlacer.RemoveCar( car, destroy:(car.isActiveAndEnabled && !car.IsPlayer)); //Happy to destroy for now
    }

If I then spawn new cars inside the same function after the foreach loop, they immediately start driving without me having to call StartTheRace.
    Calling StartTheRace doesn't display the countdown timer thingy either, or cause raceStats.onRaceStart to get called (presumably because raceStats doesn't realise that the race is over?).

Edit: feel free to continue on IM or email if you prefer.

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

You need to call for IRDSPlaceCars.Instance.RestartRaceAutoPositionCarsOnGrid(); It would also destroy the cars for you ;)

That would reset everything.

Let me know if that works for you,

Cheers!

9. I had tried this.
    It seems to destroy the root object of anything with a car in it?
    E.g., I have
    Player_1
    \_VehicleManager
    \_Some input device reading scripts << Called RestartRaceAutoPositionCarsOnGrid from here
    \_EVP_Player_Car_Instance
    \_Cameras
    \_OtherStuff

It deletes "Player_1", which has my cameras and UI and all sorts of things in it.
    I don't want this to happen.
    Edit: Even if I move my player cars outside of my hierarchy (which I really don't want to do), having iRDS destroy my player car is no good, I have other stuff that is talking to and looking at the player car.

I'm happy to use SetEndRace & CarPlacer to remove the cars, and destroy all except player car(s), as above. Edit: this actually seems to be working out just fine.
    I think I then somehow need to tell raceStats that the race is over. Edit: So, how do I do this?
    Then I can use my existing code to manually add cars back into a new race that hasn't started yet, and call raceStats.StartTheRace();

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  10. f1b0n4cc1

f1b0n4cc1

Hello, can i rig a car model which has front wheels merged into 1 object ? What i mean is there is not front left and front right wheels, there is 1 object which is merged wheels. If i try to rig that way , car move as like a ship on sea which is looking funny :)

Car textures are in atlas photo file alongside together with other models. So if i open car model in maya and seperate wheels and import to unity again , it does not recognize textures. Any suggestiong ? thank you

11. ShaperVN

ShaperVN

Hi, thank you very much for great assets. It looks amazing but before buying I want to know if iRDS could create pursuing AI like police car in Need for speed?

12. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi RafiRomero,

Yes that method would destroy them all, you could instead just do all what that method does except destroying all cars, the code on that method is this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IRDSCarCamera.SetInitialView(IRDSLevelLoadVariables.Instance.initialPreviewOnRace);
    2.         IRDSStatistics.DestroyAllCars();
    3.         playerCounts = 0;
    4.         lastGridPosition = 0;
    5.         maxCars = 100;
    6.         IRDSManager.Instance.OpponentsVar = new List<IRDSCarControllerAI>();
    7.         Awake();
    8.         IRDSStatistics.Initialize();
    Just don't include the second line of code.

Hi, you could do that, but you would need to use a fake tire to put in the front left and front right for rigging the car (so you can use the rigging wizard) and then disable those dummy tires.

Yes it can :)

Cheers!

Rhod,

13. speedy19802

speedy19802

Hello I have problem, I use modzen physics. At the start of the CarChooseScene the Camara rises up, does not follow the waypoints

14. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @speedy19802 can you be a bit more specific? I think there is no camera controller at the CarChooseScene at all, would check that out, but can you pls confirm it does not have an script attached to the camera?

Cheers

Rhod,

15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

I have been reported of a bug on latest iRDS source version, please replace the following code on IRDSMonobehaviorSingleton to fix it meanwhile the update gets pushed to the asset store.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class IRDSMonobehaviorSingleton<T> : MonoBehaviour where T : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     protected static T _instance;
    7.     static bool AplicationQuit = false;
    9.     public static T Instance
    10.     {
    11.         get
    12.         {
    13.             if (AplicationQuit)
    14.             {
    15.                 return null;
    16.             }
    17.             if (_instance == null)
    18.             {
    19.                 _instance = FindObjectOfType<T>();
    20.             }
    21.             return _instance;
    22.         }
    23.     }
    25.     protected virtual void Awake()
    26.     {
    27.         DontDestroyOnLoad(gameObject);
    28.     }
    30.     public void OnApplicationQuit()
    31.     {
    32.         AplicationQuit = true;
    33.     }
    34. }

16. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys! wanted to let you know I'm working on the code refactoring of the system, so far i have removed the dependency of the camera class on the AI scripts, so you would be able to totally remove the camera script and use your own, would keep you posted on the progress, this is taking a bit more time than expected since I'm doing a complete re-factor to make it way better than it is.

One thing i could be doing is releasing in small steps the changes I'm making, so you could benefit of the different stages of the code refactoring. let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

17. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Hi @rhodnius

I am interested in iRDS. I would just like to ask a few questions.

Are you planning to support VPP (Vehicle Physics Pro)? If I understand correctly basically any physics system is supported? Can the player vehicle for example be controlled by VPP and the AI by your system, or can the AI also be controlled by VPP? The reason I am asking is because as I am sure you are aware, VPP is (or will be when it gets released) very realistic and I would want the AI to also be very realistic.

The link to the demos on your website are dead (I have downloaded the Android demo). I would appreciate it if you could make a pc build demo of the mountain track with a user controller vehicle (like in your preview video).

Thanks

18. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @nikolai-niedermeier !

Thanks for your interest on iRDS, you are right any physics is supported, just the interfaces scripts need to be modified for it to be able to communicate between AI and physics, and yes you can combine the 2 physics if you want, you just need to specify which cars are for players and which for AI.

Currently I'm working on putting all demos and API docs into another hosting, since th eone I was using does not support this anymore.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Rhod,

19. speedy19802

speedy19802

hello ... after the update, the EndStandingsPanel is displayed only briefly, then off again

20. sailorsoft

sailorsoft

how setup Rewired i want use ps4 controller how setup it while you not replay on email

21. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

There was something mentioned about it on this post ...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ird...le-on-asset-store.174548/page-22#post-2851960

just need to add the rewired script to the cars prefabs under the Resources folder and then select the input type to external, and setup your Rewired manager for the inputs

rhodnius likes this.
  22. sailorsoft

sailorsoft

can you tell me more about this points how do setup your Rewired manager for the inputs with your script

23. rhodnius

rhodnius

You need to setup Rewired as normally, then just add the Rewired script to your cars, and set your input to external on levelload for the player and that should be it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers!

Rhod,

24. rhodnius

rhodnius

I would check this out asap.

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers!

25. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I was just quoting the author of IRDS in my method ... but basically something like

This is based on IRDS 3.2 (the latest in the asset store) and I am using Unity 5.6.2 (64-bit) for Windows.

(1) This is where the script is located here.

\Assets\iRDS\Scripts\Rewired\IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.rar

You can extract this *.rar archive using 7-zip or similar tool.

(2) From the main Unity menu

Add any vehicle. ..

Game Object -> IRDS -> Vehicle -> Add Empty

Then add the rewired script (IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.cs) to this vehicle prefab.

(3) Select the empty vehicle and go to the inspector.

Under settings change the Control Type drop down to External.

(4) You have to add your own Rewired Input Manager into the scene. Make your own mapping for the specific actions.

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/BestPractices.html

So basically you need to look at the IRDSPlayerControlsRewired.cs script and look for the names to call your actions so that they match for easier handling. Search for rewiredPlayer in the script.

rhodnius likes this.
  26. rhodnius

rhodnius

Please update IRDSStandings script to this code bellow

I have submitted the fix to the asset store already, should be up in a few days.

Code (CSharp):
    2.         void HideShowStandings(bool endRace)
    3.         {
    4.             if (endRace
    5.                 && ((!isChampionshipStandings && !dontShowIfChampionShipPresent) || (!isChampionshipStandings && dontShowIfChampionShipPresent && ChampionShipSystem.Instance == null
    6.                 && ChampionShipSystem.currentChampionShip == null)
    7.                 || isChampionshipStandings
    8.                 && ChampionShipSystem.Instance != null
    9.                 && ChampionShipSystem.currentChampionShip != null))
    10.             {
    11.                 Show();
    12.             }
    13.             else
    14.             {
    15.                 Hide();
    16.             }
    17.         }
    19.         public void Show()
    20.         {
    22.             if (UIAnimator != null && isHiden)
    23.             {
    24.                 isHiden = false;
    25.                 this.transform.parent.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    26.                 UIAnimator.Play(showAnimation);
    27.             }
    28.             else if (isHiden)
    29.             {
    30.                 isHiden = false;
    31.                 this.transform.parent.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    32.             }
    33.         }
    35.         public void Hide()
    36.         {
    38.             if (UIAnimator != null && !isHiden)
    39.             {
    40.                 isHiden = true;
    41.                 UIAnimator.Play(hideAnimation);
    42.             }
    43.             else if (!isHiden)
    44.             {
    45.                 isHiden = true;
    46.                 this.transform.parent.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    47.             }
    49.         }

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  27. r1mec

r1mec

28. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @r1mec !

Thanks for your interest on iRDS, that package seems to be an endless runner 3D model pack, not sure what type of race game you are planning to achieve? Even though iRDS does not require coding for creating a base racing game, depending on what your objectives are, it could need some coding though.

Cheers!

Rhod,

29. Barritico

Barritico

Hi

Is compatible with Easy Road V3?
    And with Unity 2017.2?

Thanks!

30. rhodnius

rhodnius

yes it is, for easy roads, you need to just follow the manual positioning of the markers, as this is something that is just compatible with any other plugin that creates roads, the surfaces just needs to have a collider attached to it to be able to place the markers.

Cheers!

Rhod,

31. ChillingHorse

ChillingHorse

Hi,

Upgraded to newest irds version, and got this error after trying to build an android app.

Assets/iRDS/Scripts/UIComponents/IRDSUIStandingsLayoutGroup.cs(92,27): error CS0115: `IRDS.UI.IRDSUIStandingsLayoutGroup.OnValidate()' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

What could be the problem?

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

This could be a change on Unity version, making this method available now only in Editor, using a #if UNITY_EDITOR and #endif to enclose that method would do the trick for sure, would check it out ASAP

Cheers,

Rhod,

33. rhodnius

rhodnius

Fixed this issue by putting the #if UNITY_EDITOR for that method, uploading this fix to the asset store just now.

Rhod,

34. Freznosis

Freznosis

Hi I've got some questions.

1. Is there a way to manually find out when the race timer is counting down? Like a callback or something? I want to add my own countdown sounds but the way provided in the asset assumes the countdown sounds are the same for every number.
    2. I was learning the asset and I wanted to experiment with rolling starts on the Unity Island level. So I added the way-points and stuff but whenever I start the race with rolling starts enabled my car will activate the brakes until the countdown has ended. All the other AI cars will proceed to keep going during the rolling start. Any ideas? There are no scripts or modifications done to the scene, completely out of box from the Asset Store.

rhodnius likes this.
  35. ChillingHorse

ChillingHorse

Hi Rhodnius,

Just to let you know, on 2017.3.0f3 Unity:

Assets/iRDS/DemoScenes/DemoScene1/Pro Standard Assets/Image Based/ColorCorrectionEffectPCMac_26.cs(20,25): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.RuntimePlatform.OSXWebPlayer' is obsolete: `WebPlayer export is no longer supported in Unity 5.4+.'

And

Assets/iRDS/DemoScenes/DemoScene1/Pro Standard Assets/Image Based/ColorCorrectionEffectPCMac_26.cs(21,25): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.RuntimePlatform.OSXDashboardPlayer' is obsolete: `Dashboard widget on Mac OS X export is no longer supported in Unity 5.4+.'

Thanks!

rhodnius likes this.
  36. rhodnius

rhodnius

Let me check on this and would get back with an answer.

Rhod,

37. Barritico

Barritico

Hola José.

Estoy intentando poner en marcha el FORCE FEEDBACK. Siguiendo las instrucciones del archivo README que está en la carpeta, me aparece siempre este error:

Assets/iRDS/Scripts/Force Feedback/FFB/IRDSFFBInput.cs(10,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `WheelMenu' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

He probado varias variaciones de instalación, con varios coches... pero nada. El error siempre es el mismo.

¿Podrías ayudarme?

Gracias.

Hello Jose.

I'm trying to launch the FORCE FEEDBACK. Following the instructions of the README file that is in the folder, this error always appears:

Assets / iRDS / Scripts / Force Feedback / FFB / IRDSFFBInput.cs (10,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `WheelMenu 'could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

I have tried several variations of installation, with several cars ... but nothing. The error is always the same.

Could you help me?

Thank you.

38. speedy19802

speedy19802

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  39. Freznosis

Freznosis

Have you found a way to fix rolling starts? They are still broken for me on a completely untouched import of IRDS.

Edit:
    Also none of the non-static methods are working for me.
    setMaxPower(500f)
    setMaxTorque(600f)
    SetTurboPSI(15f)
    Or anything else to dowith engine, drivetrain, transmission, etc.

The only one that works is wheel.SetSuspensionTravel(0.1f). Again this is completely stock IRDS, no mods, just a simple script to GetComponent<IRDS MODULE HERE>().METHOD. Any help?

Edit: I've also got another problem where I can't add markers to the surface I Shift+Click on. It has a collider and is marked static but nothing happens. :|

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So if I buy the Basic version of iRDS, Do I just have to pay an upgrade price later when I want the source version?

41. Freznosis

Freznosis

Yes. I think the upgrade is $115 USD (VS $200 USD without upgrade). The .dll version is pretty full featured so you probably won't need source unless you want to significantly change something or if you are like myself, having lots of bugs/glitches and need to change the source code because the author of this asset seems to have dissapeared.

To anyone having problems with the rolling start like myself. You need to forcefully override the "autoBrake" boolean in IRDSCarControllerAI because it is engaging at the start of the race, even when it is off. If you don't have the source version, you can just set the brakeTorque to 0f before the race starts, and then once it starts re-add the original brakeTorque

You can use a simple script like this until the author returns to fix this.
    Code (CSharp):
    2.     /// <summary>
    3.     /// Attach this script to your car.
    4.     /// </summary>
    5. public class RollingStartFixer : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     float originalBrakeTorque = 4000f;
    8.     IRDSCarControllerAI ai;
    10.     private void Awake()
    11.     {
    12.         ai = GetComponent<IRDSCarControllerAI>();
    14.         if (!ai.rollingStart)
    15.         {
    16.             return;
    17.         }
    19.         foreach (IRDSWheel wheel in GetComponentsInChildren<IRDSWheel>())
    20.         {
    21.             originalBrakeTorque = wheel.GetBrakeFrictionTorque();
    22.             wheel.SetBrakeFrictionTorque(0);
    23.         }
    25.         ai.onRaceStart += ReturnFrictionTorque;
    26.     }
    28.     /// <summary>
    29.     /// Returns the brake torque when the race starts
    30.     /// </summary>
    31.     private void ReturnFrictionTorque()
    32.     {
    33.         foreach (IRDSWheel wheel in GetComponentsInChildren<IRDSWheel>())
    34.         {
    35.             wheel.SetBrakeFrictionTorque(originalBrakeTorque);
    36.         }
    38.         ai.onRaceStart -= ReturnFrictionTorque;
    39.     }
    40. }

42. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guyd,

Sorry for the late reply, imI currently out of town since last 2 weeks, I'm getting back this 28 February, would be checking your post as soon as I get back home.

Sorry for the inconveniences

Rhod

43. rhodnius

rhodnius

Is a right click you are using? Should be shift + right click

Don't have with me my laptop to make sure, also you have to have selected the option on iRDSManager for adding track limits or race line to be able to add markers.

Would be checking all this soon.

Sorry for the inconveniences

Rhod

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  44. rhodnius

rhodnius

Also for some weird reason I haven't received the usual email each time a new post is submitted here, would check that too so I don't miss any new posts from you guys.

45. rhodnius

rhodnius

I think this could be because you are showing the laptime instead of the total time? check if you have the totaltime to show there to check that out, i would also check it out here.

Cheers!

Rhod.

PD: I'm on checking all the feedback now, just got back home from a 2 weeks and a half vacation, sorry for the absence during this period of time.

46. rhodnius

rhodnius

I was just testing it out on Unity 5.1.1 and seems to be working fine, the problem appears to be under Unity 2017.3, would be making the fix ASAP.

Cheers

Rhod,

47. rhodnius

rhodnius

Found the issue for the rolling starts, would be submitting the fix soon, also i have tested to add new markers and seems to work just fine with Holding Shift + right click, can you please confirm if you still have the issue @ModularBuilds ?

48. rhodnius

rhodnius

Checking these now, would get back shortly.

Edit: Just tested it out, and you need to make sure to do those changes on the Start method of your script. :)

I would make some changes on that so it can be done from the Awake or at anytime without any issues.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  49. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @ModularBuilds , you mentioned that there are a lot of bugs and glitches, would be really great if you could send me a list of those so i can work on them and make this better for you and the others, I have been working on the ones you already mentioned.

Thanks again for all the feedback, really appreciate it.

Rhod,

50. rhodnius

rhodnius

About the time it was taking to actually show the inspector when you select a car prefab, it was because it loads all the cars to be able to use them for the "Copy" functions for copying the values from one car to another, for now what i did to improve the time is made that to be done the first time you select a car, and have there a button to actually refresh that list at will.