Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

Here is a pic of the Handles for the track limits (magenta squares on the yellow lines) you can drag those to make the track wider or narrower, this is to make your workflow a lot more easier.

upload_2014-10-18_2-24-24.png

Rhod,

Zaddo67 and emergki like this.
  2. Pulov

Pulov

Wow! nice! that is a close turn!! :D

Do you think the inner yellow track limit will affect the behavior? Because with teh actual status I did get this kind of stuff all the time in closed turns.

I was just gathering info for the ITS stuff regarding the behavior on the turns. Expect a pm in some minutes :cool:

EDIT: those magenta cubes will be pretty handy.

rhodnius likes this.
  3. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

The control points and the track limits handles are ready now, i added also 2 buttons (sort off) to switch to "link offsets" and "link Control Points" so you can move both at same time. i.e if you want to move both control points at same time or if you want to move both tracklimits offset at the same time, here is a pic of how those would be.

upload_2014-10-18_23-44-29.png

The buttons are the Red squares, if they are red the option is off and if they are green the option is on, haven't found another way to make those buttons, if you have any suggestions they are more than welcome.

Rhod,

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks!

They shouldn't, what could make the cars behave weird on those turns could be the look ahead constant and/or look ahead factor, since maybe they are following the waypoint too far ahead.

Thanks! really appreciate it, would be good for improving iTS system :D

Yep we though they will :D

Rhod,

5. Pulov

Pulov

Hmmm certainly, the look ahead might be an issue in these turns. When released I'll report if any action might be needed to improve such as adding in a waypoint the hability to select a value of the AI and set it to a different value for an n number of waipoings or so. But lets try it first.

-------------------------------
    Regading ITS
    Video Video Video. I cant wait to see the new turning behavior with the smoothed speed control..:rolleyes:

rhodnius likes this.
  6. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks Pulov,

That feedback would be really handy for improving the system.

We would upload the iTS video with the smoother inputs soon.

Rhod,

7. Shigidy

Shigidy

Could I make a suggestion for the new update?

-Rolling Starts.

These would be awesome and would really make certain types of racing feel more real.

Something kind of fun would be an option if you won, you could do a burnout after the race. :)

rhodnius likes this.
  8. Shigidy

Shigidy

I have a question about ctf. How exactly does that work. Do you have to have the flag at the completion of the lap to get the score and first to three points wins? Also how again does cop chase work. They just go after the person in first place?

Can't wait for the championship update!!! Any estimate on when it might be out?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  9. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy!

For CTF the player that has the flag when crossing the last lap wins. About how the cops mode work, they would chase the most near player (non cop) and try to stop him.

About the championship update, it would be really soon on the asset store.

Rhod,

10. Shigidy

Shigidy

With the cops could it be one lap, and you have a certain amount of time to complete that lap or you lose. Say you only got 45 seconds to complete the laps with two cops or something. And with ctf could it be something like you have to do a lap with the flag and the first to three laps wins or something like that. Are these things doable with the current configuration of everything.

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy!

for this one:

Yep you can do that, you can make a separate timer to check on and if the time is out, set the race state of the player car to end by using IRDSCarControllerAI.SetEndRace() here is the api docs for it http://goo.gl/Zcjxfv ;)

In this case, it would require some more work to get that done, we could be adding it on a future release. :D

Rhod, :cool:

12. radiantboy

radiantboy

Incredibly hard demo but it looks cool ! Is there controls to make the players more aggressive?

13. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi radiantboy,

Thanks for your comments, you mean if you can change the AI aggressiveness? yep you can do that and much more ;)

Rhod,

14. eridani

eridani

Is it possible to have a more-or-less top-down control scheme (for mobile) where turning a onscreen steering wheel makes the car go in that specific direction? So if top of steering wheel pointing up, car turns and moves north, if top of steering wheel points to the right, car turns and moves east, etc. Here's a great example vid:

Thanks!

15. rhodnius

rhodnius

@eridani this could be done as an external control, made with a custom script and then passing the final inputs to iRDS API to control the car. It seems like to make it work that way the angle of the steering wheel needs to be compared with the actual rotation of the car on the y axis maybe?

Rhod,

16. eridani

eridani

How difficult do you think that will be? Could you possibly make a brief tutorial outlining what inputs iRDS needs to receive from the script? I am interested in iRDS but not without such a steering system. Thank you!

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

@eridani the inputs that have to be sent to iRDS API are all from the same class instance which is IRDSCarControllInput and the methods are SetThrottleInput (float) SetBrakeInput (float) bith from 0 to 1 and SetSteerInput (float) from -1 to 1.

Making the actual steer input you need may not be that difficult, is more a thing that depends on actually finding the way to match the steering orientation with the cars orientation to set the steering of the car.

Rhod,

18. McSwan

McSwan

Hi, ( I'm radglade just on my home account)

I just noticed that forcing the ai cars to use unique cars doesn't work with the player car. The AI will chose the player car as an available car. Is there a way to make all the cars unique ?

rhodnius likes this.
  19. McSwan

McSwan

Ahh, found it, needed to tick unique player car.
    Cheers

rhodnius likes this.
  20. rhodnius

rhodnius

Yep was about to write it hehehe

Cheers!

Rhod,

21. McSwan

McSwan

Is there a way to start the race in the cinematic camera view ? Can you set the camera mode in code? Can't seem top spot where to change this is.

22. rhodnius

rhodnius

@McSwan you can do it by code, im not currently near my pc, and I can't remember the method name, it is on IRDSCarCamera class and should say something like roadcamera just enable it by code and you should get what you need.

Rhod,

23. McSwan

McSwan

Code (CSharp):
    2.         irdsCarCamera = Camera.main.GetComponent< IRDSCarCamera >();
    3.         if (irdsCarCamera)
    4.         {
    5.             StartCoroutine(SetCameraMode( 3.0f )) ;
    6.         }
    8.     }
    10.     // Sets the camera mode.
    11.     IEnumerator SetCameraMode( float delayTime)
    12.     {
    13.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(delayTime);
    14.         if (irdsCarCamera)
    15.         {
    16.             irdsCarCamera.ActivateRoadCamera();
    17.         }
    18.     }
    Found it - Thanks for your help!

24. rhodnius

rhodnius

25. rhodnius

rhodnius

@eridani I just did a quick test and this is what i got --> Video

It is a really rough test, so it needs more tweaking, but is just to demonstrate that it can be done :D

We could include it as another type of input for a future release, but this is also something that could be done from a custom input script too ;)

Rhod,

26. Gooseman_1977

Gooseman_1977

Is the source code included so If I bought this package, can I modify the AI to handle traffic like in GTA 5 ?

27. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Gooseman!

Thanks for you interest in our product, the core and other classes are in dlls, we are on the way to take out another package at a different price with full source code, but I cant really imagine how hard would be to try to add traffic simulation into iRDS core, we are indeed making another asset to simulate traffic independently, you can check it out here.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be more than glad to answer.

Rhod,

28. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

Just in case some may be experiencing a situation were the AI racers kind of get stuck together while they are aside of each other, just make sure the fields Collision Side Factor Min and Max have a value greater than the Side avoiding factor and the Overtake Factor, so this way the AI will give priority to avoid side cars than those other 2 situations.

Here is a screenshot of the values, are the last 2 of this screenshot.

upload_2014-11-17_23-27-56.png

Rhod,

29. Pulov

Pulov

Great, that happened to me.

News on teh developement status?

30. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Pulov,

Im working right now on iTS, then I would be returning to iRDS new features :D

The latest version on the asset store have a new cool feature, championship!! You can create different championship and teams!

Rhod,

31. Adaco

Adaco

Hi there!

We just bought your awesome iRDS and is awesome the amount of things that you can do. I have a question. We're trying to make a racing game like the Mario Kart series (or even the F1 Race Stars on iOS) but we are not able to make the car to run like those karts. We're experience that our car is moving like a real one so when is starting to run we can move perfectly but when it has some speed is really hard to move it on turns and we can't make it "fun" and we tried to move everything on wing, suspension, engine, etc. but unfortunately we're not racing engineers to know the right set-up to make it move like a kart :(

Is it possible to have just a little help with that? Thanks

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Adaco Thanks for purchasing iRDS!

Please kindly send us on a PM or by email to info@dagagames.com your invoice number and we would get back to you asap with support.

Thanks again for your purchase!

Rhod,

33. eridani

eridani

Would also be interested to see if a kart game can be made with iRDS.

34. rhodnius

rhodnius

@eridani will do a demo out of it in a near future :)

@Adaco i'm just waiting for your PM ;)
    PS: I just sent you a PM

Rhod,

35. Adaco

Adaco

Hello Jose. I've talked with the company and they will send me the data you asked for mail. By the way... Looking your name, are you spanish?

36. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Adaco,

Is ok no problem at all, I'm from Panamá in Central America (where the Panama Canal is) and yep we speak spanish :D

EDIT: you can contact me on skype at rhodnius1

Rhod,

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

@eridani

We have worked this out with Adaco, and they got the setup they required, so it is possible to do Kart games with iRDS :D

Rhod,

38. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys, there are some news and other stuff i would be posting in our forum, so you can keep updated over there, it is at forums.dagagames.com

Rhod,

39. eridani

eridani

Very cool... will you release a kart demo? Also, is it possible to add common kart game gameplay like powerups, oil slicks, banana peels, heat seeking missiles without access to the source code? Or would that be very difficult. Thanks!

40. rhodnius

rhodnius

@eridani Right now i wont just have the time to make a kart demo, but we can share the settings or help out on the car setup, since it really depends a lot on the car shape, since those are normally not regular real car shaped karts.

About adding those other stuff, is something that is totally independent of iRDS i think, and if not, we have plenty of methods and variable on the API to help you out on what you want to achieve, if something that needs to be read from our system that has no way currently to be read, we add it for you ;) (but to be honest, we have plenty of stuff you can read or modify at runtime on our API).

Rhod,

41. pinchmass

pinchmass

I'd love access to the kart setting, I ws playing around with a kart set up but failed (must have been the shape as you say)

Would putting screenshots/ a text file in your dropbox be an option (I find it handy for your updates)

keep up the GREAT work (but don't work to hard!)

42. rhodnius

rhodnius

@pinchmass Yes for sure we can share the settings, but it will really depends also on the Kart shape, i would be putting together something for that, or better yet, i would make a prefab out of it and create a little package that you could download and see the settings there your self :D

PS: Just made one example, would be uploading it soon to the repository

Rhod,

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  43. rhodnius

rhodnius

44. McSwan

McSwan

Hi,

I'm trying to set the camera to be on the grid position 0 car. I get the Ai CarController, get the instance ID and then sets the camera.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator SetCameraTarget()
    2.     {
    3.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(12.0f);
    4.         if (irdsCarCamera)
    5.         {
    7.             Record record =GridCars[0].GetComponent< Record >();
    9.             Debug.Log( "Camera instanceID:" + record.AI.GetInstanceID() );
    11.             irdsCarCamera.changeTarget( record.AI.GetInstanceID() );
    12.         }
    13.     }
    AI is
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AI = gameObject.GetComponent<IRDSCarControllerAI>();
    The instance ID is -17130, so that part is obviously wrong. Any other way I can get and instanceId from a car for the changetarget funciton?

Is there a list of cars that you keep that the camera uses? I could do a direct comparison of gameobjects or gameobject names also.

45. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi @McSwan in this case you need to pass the instance id of the IRDSCarControllInput class, thats why it is not working on your code, just change the line 11 to irdsCarCamera.changeTarget( record.AI.GetCarInputs().GetInstanceID()); and you would be getting the result you need. :D

Im going to add this on the API docs, to avoid confusions.

Rhod,

46. rhodnius

rhodnius

The API Doc have been updated with this now.

Rhod,

47. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We have uploaded a drifting car example to the members section of iRDS in our web site, it is just an example, tweaks for better behavior could be done to achieve better results.

Cheers!

Rhod,

48. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That is good that you will have a full source code option.

rhodnius likes this.
  49. wbakunis

wbakunis

Could this be used in an arena situation instead of being used on a track?

50. rhodnius

rhodnius

@wbakunis Thanks for your interest in iRDS!

What you mean by arena situation? you mean like a demolition derby without an actual path or track to follow?

If that is the case, iRDS needs to have a path to follow in order to run, but with cop mode enabled the cop cars would try to follow the none cop cars even if they get out of the track.

Let me know if you have any further questions ;)

Rhod,

wbakunis likes this.