Search Unity

Ir Wars 0.8 UPDATE AGAIN......!!!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by frozenpepper, Nov 12, 2007.

1. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Hi all!
    After some work, here is a first glance at Ir Wars !
    Ir wars is a Rc copter simulator
    untill now just a part of the house is sort of ready, there are 3 active turrets
    and i'm still working a 1st level, and hope to have it ready in a few Hours/day.
    It has some problems with the textures wich flash sometimes, but dont know how to solve it....
    Hope it works for everybody.
    Hope to have suggestions about improving perfomance
    THanks ALL!!!!

www.frozenpepper.it/Game1.html

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

For some reason I'm unable to maintain control while running this through Firefox. I tried going to full screen but the up arrow key returns me back to the browser.

3. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Hum firefox,......... i tested it only in safari and IE for windows.....
    i will explore the problem.....

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nice start! My initial comments:

- that blob shadow aint workin' for me :p
    - I don't like the thrust control as it's impossible to maintain a specific altitude or fly "well" IMO (have two keys to do the same thing, thrust increase/decrease so I can set it)

Keep it up and keep us posted!

Edit: FYI, I was in Firefox on OS X and other than the above was able to control things "well enough".

5. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Thanks for the reply !!

THe blob shodow stinks!!!! I know, i had put it there in the beginning just to try it and never fixed it a bit...... I'm quite new to unity and game programming, so it takes me a while to understand how to do things, and if you have any suggestions for the shadows, there would be more than welcome....

I'll soon be working on some tutorial levels to learn how to fly the helicopter, and
    i'm working on easyng the controls..... I had tried for Thrust A Z keys for power, but it became a little bit to easy, so i'm tryng to keep it realistic (IR rc copter fly that way (sort of)) and not to difficult......... not yet a good job do...

Does it play smooth ??? and on what Computer???

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It did for me.

MacBook Pro 2.33GHz (OS 10.4.10)
    Firefox 2.0.0.9

Keep it up and post new builds when you have 'em. :D

7. nickavv

nickavv

Wow, that was pretty cool. :) I like how everything was modeled. By the way, is it possible to kill those enemies or not. I couldn't do it.

Controls are a bit hard, and that blob shadow projector is going nuts. :p

Keep it up!

8. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

2 / 3 hits and turrets die.........

hope that controlls once learned become fun......

Thanks all!

9. Proto

Proto

I like the idea though I think your controls need to be simplified greatly.

It took me a few attempts to take off as I started under the lamp and I think I got caught on it many times before the camera showed it to me and I could see what I was doing wrong. I flipped the copter on it's back and I didn't know how to correct it.

I did a lot of flailing and roof hops and I definitely would not be hired as a commercial pilot.

I didn't really get to explore the room easily first play which I think would be nice. I'm guessing this is because I was inclined to hold down the direction keys rather than tap them. It took a while for that to sink in.

When I pressed esc it restarted, which I wasn't expecting. The camera has jitters when you are placed back on the pad while holding thrust. The ceiling gets culled at altitude.

As much as I approve of your taste in movies and beer, watch out for trademarks and copyright (i.e. the posters / logos). ;-)

Also 11Mb seemed a bit hefty for the content I saw. Perhaps there's more than I can see right now?

Your lighting is very flat in the room and doesn't do your models justice at the moment.

Plays well on a Dual G52.5Gb Safari 2.04. Keep it up!

10. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

I dont know much about politics publishing posters and logos....... ain't I advertising them????? ......... HUm.... probably wrong..............

Wonderfull post Proto, I very much apreciated the comments about the game!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!! I hope that the tutorial will help with flight controls, but it's still under development.......... (now it's just me working on this....)
    What I really like about hte game is the controls, they are difficult, but after a while you could fly an Apache in a Banana Republic lingerie store....... or at least hope so....
    Hope to improve gameplay, but in the meantime, is it tollerable as difficulty????
    Is it to hard?????

11. Proto

Proto

Hehe, no it's unlikely that large companies want their art used without permission no matter how good your game is.

Have a quick Google for "Intellectual +property +copyright +logo +trademark" and you'll turn up quite a bit of info on what images you can and can't include without the permission of the image owner - in fact there's very little you can include that is owned or is considered "derivative of" another person's graphic work.

This is especially true for trademarks and/or copyrights belonging to large companies who have the resources to enforce them.

12. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Very cool concept.

The controls are little bit tricky but are alright once you get the hang of them.

I really liked the little missile lauchers. Maybe you could create an electrical short circuit sparc particle emitter for them so you can tell when they've been knocked out (other than waiting for them to stop firing missiles, that is).

The rotors need to turn much faster to create the proper illusion of generating lift. You might be able to use RigidBody.AngularVelocity to vary the speed of the blade animation.

I'm not sure about this, but the size of the download might have something to do with the possibility that you are including all of the Standard and/or Professional Assets. If this is the case, then you should be able to trim down the size of the download by removing the assets you're not using.

Great work, keep it up.

13. copenhagenjazz

copenhagenjazz

Hi there

That was fun! Nice 1st draft on the concept. As other people have mentioned you should probably try and simplify the controls a bit. It is very difficult to have the chopper stable and also aiming when shooting. So less "flunky" controls and maybe a cross hair would help a lot.
    The art side of things could also use a tweak as everything looks very flat. Some lights and shadows would work wonders.

It reminded me of a game I used to play some years ago called airfix dogfighter: http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/sim/airfixdogfighter/ which is a huge compliment :0)

And as other people mentioned too, get rid of the commercial trademarks in your game. Some companies takes this very seriously and you could end up in trouble if you dont change it.

But keep it up. Its a good game already and I really like the concept. With a bit more work you could have some really cool stuff going on :0)

14. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Wrong. Unity automatically strips out any assets you are not using, so having them in the project does not affect download size at all :)

When you do a build, unity tells you how much space you're using for various asset types in the system console. At first, I'm gonna ask the standard question: Do you have texture compression turned on?

15. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

@nicholas

Thanks for clarifying the point about unused assets being stripped from a project when building it. The thought of having unused assets in a project was causing some concern for me, but not anymore :)

16. drJones

drJones

i think the controlls in general should be much less sensitive - to get anywhere i was basically tapping the directionals thrust constantly. IMO you should clamp some limits into how far it will pitch in any direction. also letting go of the thrust should cause you to gently float downwards not drop suddenly. i understand being an rc copter it should be more touchy (feel lighter smaller) than the real thing but i think a middleground as far as smoothness of contoll will help alot.

cool idea for a game ; )

17. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Thanks all for the interest and replies!!!!!

I might have 1 or 2 old textures that might turn off Texture Compression, since untill a few days ago all my textures where essentially random size ( I knew nothing about texture compression ans sizes) so now i'll check up...

I'm going to remove many logos......... pity, but mostly thanks for having told me to do so.......

Hope to post anew version today with some improvements on the controls and maybe size.......

How do I do shadows with Unity Demo????

18. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

I had completely forgotten of having, just for a test, put a full song in the game build, and probably a lot of the Mb are due to this......
    the song can be listened by shooting at the stereo in the room where you take off from.
    It's a "very" copyrighted song, and should not have been there, it was just a test....

19. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

HI all, I've updated the game!!!
    nnew stuff :
    -Guinness logo changed...............
    -a new room in the house
    -a GUI for objectives
    -objectives for all of the First Level
    -Hope to have improven the controls of the chopper
    -Something else....
    HOpe you all enjoy it! this should be almost the demo of the game, I would like to improve the textures, but's a long job, and now i'm adding a tutorial.
    Tell me all that you think!
    I'm studyng how to put a timer on the level completition time, and best times on the net, but at the moment it's more of a dream since tonight my Unity demo expires and.............. HUm...... don't yet know if I should buy it....Thanks all for attention!

www.frozenpepper.it/Game1.html