Search Unity

iPhone updateable content

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by abarrett86, Sep 10, 2009.

1. abarrett86

abarrett86

We are working on an iPhone game and want to issue content updates well after the game has 'shipped'. Is there any way to dynamically load content into a game. It would be nice if we could just build new scenes and allow app users to download and use these new scenes without having to re-download the entire app with new content.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

If you own Unity iPhone Advanced, yes:

1. requires asset bundles
    2. download asset bundle through tcp and store on the device
    3. load the asset bundle through www

Generally content updates on the iphone are done through application updates

3. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

I actually have been toying around with a system that stores serialized meshes and textures in a mySQL database for retrieval by Unity. Something like this could be useful in a few cases - although maybe for not what you are trying to do. I originally envisioned the system for instances where you would want to update meshes and textures with different themes for holidays or other occasions. Anyway, just a little food for thought ;)

4. mudloop

mudloop

The way I understand it is that if you release a game update, you can get back into the new releases list. If you give users new content from within the app, you're missing out on that advantage.

5. KAKE

KAKE

What commands in Unity allow you to download the file and save it to the app's document space? Is this an Objective-C feature?
    Thanks,
    Chris

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats .NET functionality (System.IO to store byte data from a WWW request for example)

And game updates don't appear in the new list. That bug was fixed soon a year ago due to massive missuse from devs that made fake updates just for the sake of it.
    only new apps appear on the new list

7. KAKE

KAKE

Fantastic! That's the kind of thing I'm hoping for - thanks!
    You don't happen to have examples (or links to them) of this in practice inside of Unity do you? :D

8. KAKE

KAKE

Never mind - I actually found another thread you posted in with some examples. Thanks for your help!

9. Girl + Robot

Girl + Robot

Can you share that link so this thread doesn't dead end, would be useful.

10. KAKE

KAKE