Search Unity

iPhone support for Neutron MMO Middleware?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Scrogu, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Scrogu

Scrogu

Does the iPhone pro version work with the Neutron MMO Middleware libraries?

Has anyone tested using Neutron with any the regular versions of Unity3D?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

If it is a .NET Assembly you could potentially import and use it
    Otherwise the answer is no

3. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

Hi, Scrogu.

Thank you for your interest in Neutron.

I am responsible for Neutron native iPhone client (along with all other native client platforms) and Neutron Unity client development at Exitgames (the company, developing Neutron).

We have just released a major update to our Neutron Unity SDK this week.

The .Net version of the Neutron Client library works just fine with Unity stand alone versions and webplayers on Windows as well as on Mac and also with Unity dashboard widgets.
    Please convince yourself by trying out the demo application in our Unity SDK.

Probably Neutron .Net is fully compatible to Unity iPhone, too. We are going to test it these days.

If you prefer a native version of neutron, you have free choice between C, C++ and Objective C (on iPhone and other platforms).
    We have not yet tested Neutron native together with Unity, but chances are very good, it is compatible to all unity versions, which support native plugins.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at info@exitgames.com for further information.

Kind regards,
    Stefan.

4. Hachima

Hachima

.NET support on the iPhone is limited to .DLL files compiled on the 1.1 framework. Basically this means the assembly needs to be compiled with VS 2003.

I think it is unlikely that Neutron for Unity targets the 1.1 framework, so it won't work with Unity iPhone.

I haven't worked with using native objective-C code with Unity iPhone yet. I'm not sure if you can have the native code communicate with your Unity application concurrently, I think you can only swap back and forth by pausing the Unity application. That would be the path to look into though if you wanted to use Unity iPhone and Neutron together though, until Unity iPhone supports .NET 2.0.

5. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

Yeah, we are aware of the .NET 1.1 limitation, but Neutron and Photon do not really need any .NET 2.0 or higher features, so it was easy to make our .Net Unity client 1.1 compatible.

The great news is:
    We have released a Neutron Unity iPhone client a while ago in our devnet and it is just working perfectly on the phone as you can see in the demo.

The only bad news is:
    Neutron and Photon for Unity iPhone are only compatible to Unity iPhone Advanced, because using .NET System.dll is only possible, if you use the Advanced option "Strip Assemblies", which is not supported for Unity iPhone Basic.
    For normal Unity you can of course use Neutron not only with the Pro but also with the Indie version.