Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone Pirate gets Pirated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam-Buckner, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Too sad he didn't abandon it.

Idiots like him are a serious problem and the only thing we can hope for is that apple starts to protect their closed platform and our developments as we have to jump through their loops to get our apps on the store and can not freely protect it as we want.
    They sue others for less important stuff and in this case the law clearly is on their side due to the reverse engineering.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Wait, you people want money for your development time on your iPhone projects? THE NERVE!

4. Scrat

Scrat

So it's okay to steal other's people hard work but it's not to steal his?

I just don't understand. The guy must be pretty good at programming. Why the hell doesn't he try to make a game or an app that he could sell?!

I guess he really has no creativity.
    It's so easy to destroy but trying to create something...

5. Arges

Arges

Creativity is partly about noticing an empty niche and being able to fill it. I guess his just moves in the different direction of "copy protection busting".

Browse any discussion on /. about piracy and DRM and you'll find many possible answers as to why. He's probably just doing it for recognition, street cred, which has more value to him than what he could charge.

There's also a creativity aspect on the end of those of us who are hoping to get paid for our efforts, and copy protection is usually not the solution. Try and incorporate things that users who pirate your software wouldn't get - for instance, appealing online play or level updates. Consider LittleBigPlanet: even assuming that you could pirate PS3 games cheaply, it would lose a lot of its gameplay value if you couldn't log on to play new online levels created by the community. Or just take the addictiveness approach and aim for such a high volume, that the amount of money you get is still high.

I personally appreciate the Stardock approach: forget about DRM, since it only inconveniences those who actually paid for your stuff, and focus on building better products that sell more.

I know, easier said than done, but that's the kind of quality we should be aiming for. Any software protection can be circumvented - if not by him, someone else would come along.