Search Unity

iPhone 4 - Unity working at native resolution?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by jimbobuk, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Hey.

I just wondered whether or not Unity supports working with the iPhone 4 resolution. I've just got my Unity 3 preview, and haven't installed it yet, but with the older Unity iPhone I was able to target iPad, but nothing to target iPhone 4's higher output resolution.

On unity answers i've seen various discussions about hacks to support the resolution though this tends to then require you to mess with the touches which are incorrect.

Is this situation improved on Unity 3?

Being able to easily and efficiently drive at the native resolution would be great, I'd be interested to see how my project performs. I'm hopeful it can stand up to it as on iPad its able to run at a high framerate so thankfully i don't seem to be too fillrate constrained. That is until i added a single simple drop shadow and my framerate halved :(

Thanks for your time.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

The Unity 3 iPhone Addon has indeed native support for iphone 4

the iphone 4 was announced and released after Unity iPhone 1.7 so no wonder there is no support for it :)

3. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

awesome.. i'll go get it installed and see how it goes. I see dynamic batching is currently broken so performance may be interesting.

Cheers, and of course you are right about the fact that Unity iPhone 1.7 precedes iPhone4 so obviously couldn't support it.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

given that U3 is faster I am unsure if it is really batching thats broken and not as with 1.5 already, just a problem with the debug banner.

in case of supporting: Unity iPhone 1.7 could have supported it if Apple wouldn't be as bad as military on secrecy. I assume that they might rethink that given that the competition does not need to know their specs to crush this generation as they are already ahead before the iphone 4 is released to most places on earth

5. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

I don't quite follow how the iPhone 4 is bested before its even released.. aside from maybe holding a signal :)

Its CPU is a bit under i guess, snapdragons have been around at 1ghz for a while..

I don't think the GPU is particularly bested by much out there at the moment.. it definitely needs improving, the balance in the 3GS was much better, fillrate vs pixels. But I don't think there are any other handsets that have a significantly improved GPU do they?

Few smartphones seem to have as good a video quality, and i'm really happy with the improved still camera, though some have higher resolution, i don't think they achieve this without other sacrifices.

Beyond that I don't think much beats the dpi of the retina display, though some super amo leds get close don't they? But i believe their subpixel arrangement leads to a lower looking resolution even though they get close.

Some have bigger screens, which is cool but perhaps less so to carry as a phone..

Facetime seems a smooth and impressive solution to video calling which seems to just work well, and have a good picture quality and framerate and lack of lag.

Antena issues aside i think the asthetic of the iphone is really nice, it was certainly time for a change, and i think they really delivered on this, though perhaps at too much of a cost with this antena problem. Though to be honest i've yet to have any problems in use, even tho a death grip can be catastrophic on my phone.

So sorry, don't know why i've gone on, but in what way do you think that iPhone 4 was beaten before it was even released? Maybe i need to pickup an android handset to see what life is like on the other side.. at the moment whenever i see it i guess i just dont get past the difference to the iOS that i'm used to.