Search Unity

iPadOS - Are there plans for a dedicated build target? how are universal apps now handled?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by jason_yak, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jason_yak

jason_yak

Hi there,

I've just been wondering if there are any plans to add a specific build target for iPadOS, or is it more likely that we'll need to just change which SDK is used to the iPad one for the iOS build target?

I'm guessing for now to try out iPadOS with Unity we may need to build for iOS and then change the SDK in Xcode until proper support is added??

Beyond this I'm curious about how iPadOS will be handled in regard to universal apps. It's not so much a question for Unity this one, more just hoping to open up the conversation to anyone that might know. I'm expecting Apple to add the ability to add another binary to a single app listing in the App Store Connect like they did for tvOS, so we'll end up with three binaries for the one app listing. If that's the case I'm wondering if you have an iOS app that's currently released as a universal iOS12 release (so iPhone and iPad) which most games are, now that we have iPadOS would we still need to build the iOS app as universal so users on an iPad running iOS12 or older can still use the app? or am I missing something that you could stop building your iOS app as universal, and then the dedicated iPad app built using iPadOS13 added to the same listing as the previous iOS universal app would then allow iPad uses on iOS12 and older to use this new binary? confused haha thx :confused::eek::)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    ShakingEarthDigital likes this.
  2. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

The name "iPadOS" is more of a marketing gimmick rather than a separate platform from normal iOS.
    At least for Xcode 11 beta, any universal app project works the same way it has always been. It is built as a single binary.
    upload_2019-6-19_14-32-1.png

Also Xcode 11 beta does not ship with a separate platform SDK for iPad.
    upload_2019-6-19_14-34-14.png