Search Unity

iPad camera zoomed in

Discussion in 'AR' started by jdgauchat, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

Hi, guys. The iPad's camera in ARKit is zoomed in when compared to the iPhone's camera. Is this normal? Is there any solution to set the normal zoom of the camera on iPads?

Thanks
    JD

2. whogas

whogas

This is just a perception thing. Everything is the same size, it's just that the screen is larger on the iPad. I proved this to myself (and others) by placing a dollar next to the same rendered object on both devices and ensuring everything was the same size.

3. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

Hi. I took pictures to be sure, and they are of different sizes. Here are the pictures. The one on the left is from the iPhone while playing the game, and the one in the middle is from the iPad while playing the game. Here you can see that the ARKit camera for the iPad is zoomed in. The last one is from the iPad's camera, so you can compare. This last one is similar to the iPhone, but the ARKit camera for the iPad is zoomed in, no doubt about it. And the code is the same, I didn't modify anything and I was standing in the same place for each picture.

4. jdgauchat

jdgauchat

One additional note. With the iPad, my game takes twice the time to find anchors in the scene. My guess is that this is the consequence of the image being zoomed in. You can see that the image on the iPad running the ARKit application is not only zoomed in but also blurry.

5. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

I am seeing same behaviour on iPad 2017..not sure why.. is unity reducing resolution by cropping camera feed for better performance or something?

6. pojoih

pojoih

Not Unitys fault. When you switch to high speed video capture in the camera app you see the same zoom. ARKit uses 60fps video and seems this has to be cropped for some reason (resources, heat...).

7. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

@pojoih yeah i see what you mean. Theres alot of similar talk when using vuforia too.
    Doesnt unity throttle arkit to 30fps if you dont override it with application.targetframerate
    I'd like the option to control this camera behaviour myself.. maybe I can in xcode?
    It doesnt do this when building for android/arcore.
    Thoughts?

Edit: ipad 2017 doesnt support 60fps video. It looks like the cam feed is what it is.. on this device anyway. I dont have access to a pro.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. jimmya

jimmya

Indeed as others have pointed out here, this is not Unity doing something special, but ARKit. ARKit uses a smaller FOV on iPad as many of you have noticed, which may help with the amount of image processing needed to get a performant result. You can check this with a non-Unity ARKit app - it should do the same thing. There is no way currently to tell ARKit to use a different FOV.

ARKit does allow you to control the resolution of the video (see https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technol...Plugin/Examples/ARKit1.5/UnityARVideoFormats/) which can help for performance issues.

9. yjcnbnbnb200

yjcnbnbnb200

I have a question, which value did you use as FOV on unity camera? I use iPad 2018 as my test machine. Thanks!

10. jimmya

jimmya

It does not use the FOV that you set on the camera. Rather it asks ARKit for the camera projection matrix, which depends on the calculated FOV for whatever camera ARKit is using.

yjcnbnbnb200 likes this.
  11. yjcnbnbnb200

yjcnbnbnb200

Thanks Jimmya

12. rrevathi

rrevathi

here i have attached the native camera and ar camera view ..here in acamera it is slightly zoomed as compared to the native camera ..for some instance i need the arcamera to be zoomed out ..is there a way to do that ?

Attached Files:

13. mikeyrafier98

mikeyrafier98

As being said by Mr. Jimmya above, "ARKit uses a smaller FOV on iPad as many of you have noticed, which may help with the amount of image processing needed to get a performant result."
    I also experience the same which ARCamera will zooming in more than the normal camera apps.
    I don't think we can fix this currently, unless you want to develop your own camera perspective and other without ARKit.