Search Unity

iPad and iPhone submissions - what is the best practise?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by IPete, Jun 2, 2011.

1. IPete

IPete

Hi Guys,

I'm about to prepare our latest App for review, and I need to understand the best way forwards for my App.

I have two versions of the App, one for iPad and one for iPhone/iPod. Should I keep them separate or should I attempt to make a universal App?

What are the precautions I need to be aware of? Any help would be great thanks.

[edit - size is already greater than 20MB due to 8 videos so size is not a parameter in this case]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  2. marjan

marjan

Apple recommends to make it universal.
    Pro is, you probly have only one code base.

Contra is, you most likly have 2 or even 3 sets of graphics (optimzed for iphone, iphone4 and ipad). That makes your app bigger.

So it might depend on what you think is more important to you - care for only one app and have a bigger filesize, or for two, but have them small.

if you use two, you also have to edit two apps in itunes connect, which might be quite a lot of work in case you support a lot of languages.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

To make it not universal, you also need to have stuff that seperates them.
    I'm unsure on apples current stance on "graphics are enough", before you needed ipad opted input etc too, otherwise they will reject it cause you aren't allowed to resell twice the same experience

4. IPete

IPete

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input.

In the end I opted for a Universal App - so far it seems fine - slight adjusts on settings but otherwise this would be exactly the same experience.

I have used the screen width to determine the device - if that's bad please let me know.

5. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

This is how I handle it as well - "if width > 500, then use high res art". Makes more sense than checking for a specific device type, since you don't necessarily want to update your apps every time a new generation of device comes out.

6. IPete

IPete

Hey Mika,

Great idea - I will implement that tomorrow... :)

Thanks

IPete2.

[edit have no included three versions of the menu system each with their own parameters, but the main App runs the same scene with some minor settings being altered on the fly to make it all work sweetly - will submit soon and then link to the App for you all to have a look at if you are interested - it's a free app for kids]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011