Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS UI Performance

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by timfreeman, Oct 21, 2015.

1. timfreeman

timfreeman

i have very strange issue with ui performance on iOS devices.

i have a canvas and a scroll view. scroll view content contains around 10 elements (mainly buttons and labels). it works really well and surprisingly smooth on Galaxy S3 (i9300, Android 5.1.1), while on iOS (iPhone 4S iOS 9.0 and iPhone 6 iOS 9.1) elements are twitching when you scroll.

i have another scene with even more elements inside scroll view and it still works fine on Android and laggy on iOS.

tried a lot of variations of player setting for iOS builds. nothing helps. what am i missing ? are there any specifics ?

Unity 5.2.1f1

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. Ges

Ges

I have same problem on iOS (iPad 3).

3. Papatriz

Papatriz

Same issue. All founded recipes (like deactivate all layout components after building view, changing gui default shader, not using best fit for text, etc) don't work. With unity 5.1.4 things works better. Below few details:
    Simple scene, contains only canvas, scrollview and 20-30 elements in it (small image and few texts).

Unity 5.2.2:
    Iphone 4: 8 fps and near permanet freeze
    Ipad 3: 30 fps, but scrolling is not smooth, with chatter

Unity 5.1.4:
    Iphone 4: 12-13 fps, no freeze
    Ipad 3: 33-35 fps, no chattering

If anyone knows is this problem solved in 5.3 betas or no?
    Or maybe there is a way to solve it on our side? Any hints maybe?

4. epit

epit

Same here. Scrollview was already slower than expected on 5.1X, on 5.2X I am having all kinds of issues.

5. Dantus

Dantus

Did someone submit a bug report with this regression?

6. timfreeman

timfreeman

ok. after some random thoughts about the difference between iOS and Android, it came up to me that iOS build runs at 30fps.
    the fix was to set Application.targetFrameRate to 60. it runs at around 57fps on iPhone 4s and stable 60 on iPhone 6.

i really appreciate all suggestions (and that ones on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity2D/comments/3pn2mc/ios_ui_performance/)

the fix was that simple and main part of my question was to understand the difference.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Dantus likes this.
  7. MyLiaison

MyLiaison

Thank you very much. I went crazy to improve perfomance and all I had to do was setting the frame rate :/ :)