Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS Target Resolution on 5.3? Missing?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by mr-sambarlow, Dec 17, 2015.

1. mr-sambarlow

mr-sambarlow

Hi,

I was previously using the Player Settings -> Target Resolution to set a 768p resolution on iPad. I've upgraded to 5.3 and can no longer see the option to choose resolution at all in the iOS Player Settings. How do I do this now?

Cheers!

--Sam

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

yeah.......

3. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

So you trying to say the setting was removed for good, and not moved somewhere else?

Edit: The problem here is Unity is suppose to handle platform differences like this for me. I shouldn't have to call SetResolution myself... I should at least be able to opt out of Retina resolution in a single option.

5. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

>>So you trying to say the setting was removed for good, and not moved somewhere else?
    yeah, i might be a bit sparse on details because it is gazzilionth time i reply to this question ;-)

>>Edit: The problem here is Unity is suppose to handle platform differences like this for me. I shouldn't have to call SetResolution myself... I should at least be able to opt out of Retina resolution in a single option.

well you kinda contradict yourself - so you want control or not? ;-)
    i honestly dont see how it is different from before - apart from obvious "i do call function from script" instead of "i pick things in dropdown" unless i miss your point

6. mr-sambarlow

mr-sambarlow

thanks Alexey!

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I suppose you're right, I'm sort of contradicting myself. I suppose this could be considered a feature request at this point then.

My point is, whether my app runs on iPad or iPad pro I don't want to use retina resolution. Before iPad Pro, this would have been as easy as setting res to 1024x768, but now iPad Pro has a different non-retina resolution then iPad Air, etc.. I suppose this isn't a huge problem, but I would prefer a checkbox :)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Use a percentage. Query screen resolution, I mean it will get scaled to device after all. So 50% of 1024 is... etc. Having a drop down is a terrible idea for game dev, it would be flooded with entries that aren't really relevant, and you might want a different entry depending on what phone.

It is also one line of code. I'd just say "deal with it". Retina is always twice the numerical resolution....

so just pass in half the res.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oook.. this is another thing that was confusing me. On PC, the resolution has to be supported by the monitor, etc, so you can't just pick any resolution, like a percentage for example. I suppose in Unity's case it's just sizing the main render target to whatever I specify and then rescaling when it blits to screen...meaning I can set whatever resolution I want..right?

Thanks

10. Bravo_cr

Bravo_cr

In Unity 5.3.4f1 & 5.3.4p1 if you you Screen.SetResolution you get a pitch black screen. We are doing a RC build and QA has reported this bug which we can't solve. Great! Case #785934

11. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

What devices did you test on? I inadvertently discovered you could set the resolution on my iPad 2 but sometimes when testing via xcode it spams the console with some opengl errors, though the app itself and the resolution seem fine.

Can you provide some more details about your bug as I can't view you bug case. I was going to report the issue myself, but if its the same thing then I can post a shorter bug reporter, just so they have another on file.