Search Unity

iOS Standard Shader in v5.3

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by VNL-Entertainment-Games, Dec 9, 2015.

1. VNL-Entertainment-Games

VNL-Entertainment-Games

Do they work properly?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

We are thinking about enabling the optimized version for low-end iOS devices in Unity 5.4. A final decision for this hasn't been made yet. The main reason why we didn't do it so far is because in our measurements the performance benefits of these optimizations are smaller on PowerVR SGX GPUs compared to typical ES 2.0 GPUs on Android (e.g. Mali 400). And the optimizations don't come for free, there may be be artifacts.

Other optional optimizations (to disable specular highlights and environment reflections per Standard Shader Material) should hopefully make it into Unity 5.4.

MrEsquire and Dantus like this.
  3. VNL-Entertainment-Games

VNL-Entertainment-Games

Thanks for the answer. Could you please also comment on my other question:

- Will using Legacy Diffuse be better than the Standard Shader?

Best,

4. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

I'm assuming that you mean "better" in terms of rendering performance :).
    I have not done any measurements with exactly that setup (Legacy Diffuse vs Standard Shader with only Albedo texture). But I'm expecting the Legacy Diffuse shader to be cheaper. "Legacy Bumped Specular" vs "Standard Shader with Android Optimizations" should be close.

5. VNL-Entertainment-Games

VNL-Entertainment-Games

Thanks. Do you know if the Mobile-Diffuse would be significantly faster than Legacy-Diffuse? And same with Mobile VertexLit vs Legacy VertexLit?

6. VNL-Entertainment-Games

VNL-Entertainment-Games

Also I really think Unity should provide a best-practice or recommendation/solution for mobile developers. There doesn't seem to be any clear approach we should be following since Standard Shader came out. The documentation lead me to believe Standard Shader is the new/best way but it's not. So what should we do now? Use Legacy Shader? Use the old Mobile Shader?

Thank you.

7. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

I agree that some best practices would be nice, but it is not so easy to do (and maintain) if you factor in more than just performance.

The mobile shaders should still be best in terms of rendering performance (if fragment shader is your bottleneck) and thus also power.
    If you are targeting low-end devices then using the Standard Shader for everything will be too slow.

The Standard Shader has more expensive fragment programs and newer devices tend to have very high res screens. This means that when heavily using the Standard Shader on mobile you most likely shouldn't render at native resolution.