Search Unity

iOS Splash/Launch Screen Best Practices / Custom Storyboard?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by 39thstreet, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 39thstreet

39thstreet

First: Pro user here, talking custom iOS Launch Screen here, not the Unity logo thing.

iOS Launch Screens are always an amazing amount of work considering all I've ever wanted to do was have a small static logo appear centered in the screen. In the past, dozens of differently sized default images were required and it still was a process then *never* worked on unity export, and required redoing everything in Xcode.

For this update, I'm happy to limit to iOS 8 and up, which as I should I understand it allows me to use storyboards to do my launch screen and no longer have to worry about all the legacy default images. I have made a Launch Screen storyboard in an xcode project. If I select that storyboard using Unity's "Custom Storyboard", the result in Xcode does not in fact end up including this storyboard. Instead, Unity creates some new ones and some xib files. If I delete all that and edit them out of the info.plist, then make a new launch storyboard.... it also doesn't work, just get a black screen on start.

So, long story short, can someone please help answer this question:
    -What is the simplest, easiest way to create a single centered image launch screen (compatible with ios 8 and up) in Unity that will work when built from Xcode?

Would greatly appreciate any help, this is one of those things that seems like it shouldn't be so hard since literally everyone does it.

username132323232 likes this.
  2. AlienMe

AlienMe

This is what we use:
    • Launch screen type: Image and background (relative size)
    • Background color: black
    • Fill Percentage: 80 (iPhone) and 50 (iPad)

Then specify the same image in Portrait Image / Landscape Image.

Leave Legacy Launch Images blank.

So far seems to work fine in all devices we've tested.

Not using custom storyboards, or anything else fancy on XCode.