Search Unity

iOS Shadows not working (after trying the obvious solutions)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by cl-apps, Apr 10, 2014.

1. cl-apps

cl-apps

Hi there,

Really weird problem I have discovered. Shadows on iOS don't work.

I first noticed this on my latest project when testing so I thought I'd cut to the chase and test a brand new empty project with a plane and a cube with one directional light set to hard shadows. Checked the camera rendering path to Forward. Checked the project rendering path. Checked the quality settings are set to Hard Shadows / checked shadow distance. Checked the Player settings... Everything I can think of. Including someone said check the main camera Field of View setting so I checked that too.

Nothing... Just a cube without shadows...

I'm running Unity 4.3.4 Pro / iOS Pro on a Mac.

Shadows used to work in the past but I hadn't used them for ages in preference for Lightmapping but I would like to use them now. Last thing I thought was they weren't going to work.

Any ideas on what to check now? Or is this a genuine bug?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. cl-apps

cl-apps

Solved!

I think this is a bug within the editor - Anyway the Quality settings were not being used and defaulting to Fastest setting (0). So no shadows.

Writing a script I forced the Quality setting to (3) and sure enough I now have shadows again!

I'm sure this wasn't a problem in the past but a 'feature' introduced in the latest 4.3.4 version.

Anyway, I now have my shadows back so I'm happy. Hopefully this post may be of help to others struggling to find a solution to missing shadows.