Search Unity

IOS remote profiler

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by maksensD, Feb 18, 2019.

1. maksensD

maksensD

Recently i've been trying to build my game automatically using gitlab but I have had trouble connecting to the remote profiler. I.E. the build is not directly built on any device it's stored on a server and I can access that server to install it on my device exactly like you would on the app store. Using ADB, I can easily connect to the profiler on Android but can't figure how to do the exact same thing on IOS. Do I absolutly have to build the game using Xcode or can I use some custom tunnel to connect to the profiler?

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

As far as I know, connecting should still work. Maybe you can check the build configuration? The build would need to be a development build. Building with the BuildOption.ConnectWithProfiler enabled could also help.

[Correction, that would probably not work as the build server will build in it's IP so the connection would be try to be established back to the build server... so BuildOption.Development is the one to set and ConnectWithProfiler should explicitly not be set]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  3. kureysalp

kureysalp

As far as you know it is not working. I can profile with every single platform but can't with iOS. There is really a problem. No one made any video about iOS profiling, no one made a guide about it, not a single soul because IT IS NOT WORKING. Show me an evidence it's working and problem is rest of the world not Unity.

4. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

No, I do know that it should generally work. I did make a mistake in my previous post with that build option though (corrected now). You wouldn't want your build server to create a build with autoconnect on as that would bake the server's IP into the build as a connection target.

There are likely fewer videos about iOS profiling because the usual step through XCode is a bit of an extra hassle and doesn't tell much for the video. We've now created 2 short videos demonstrating the workflow though:
    • Building from Unity + XCode and then connecting:
    • Starting app on device and connecting then
    Now that's not a build from a build server but a build server should be creating the same kind of install file if correctly configured.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022