Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS project not using GPU ?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by super77gg, Apr 22, 2015.

1. super77gg

super77gg

Hello,

We have a strange issue. Unity's Profiler and the XCODE profiler are reporting 0 usage in GPU for our project. Under Unity's Application Profiler, we see mass GPU based tasks taking place on the CPU.

Under the Unity / Xcode Internal Profiler we see:
    cpu-ogles-drv> min: 0.0 max: 0.0 avg: 0.0

Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea what's up? We've tried building out in all formats (gl 2, gl 3 and metal). I'm sure we are doing something dumb or missing a setting somewhere. We are using 5.0.1p3

Thanks <3

2. super77gg

super77gg

We've tested both on iPad Mini Gen1 and iPhone 6 - both reporting 0 GPU use... We created a brand new project as a test with some Cubes and a Particle System.

Here's the full Dump from Console.

3. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

>>XCODE profiler are reporting 0 usage in GPU for our project
    >>Initializing Metal device caps

in xcode go to product->scheme->edit scheme
    change GPU frame capture to be metal (or gles if you run on no-metal device or force gles in player settings)

4. super77gg

super77gg

@Alexey Thanks for the quick reply! I've enabled the Metal Device the GPU Frame Capture. However that doesn't seem to solve the issue. Here's the dump from that test:

5. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

now you are looking into wrong place - do you want to check GPU usage? look in xcode itself - it will show graph when you select "debug" tab

6. r618

r618

I *think* I saw Xcode showing the GPU usage as 0 when the value was off the scale - i.e. the performance was so terrible it was beyond any reasonable limits
    (I might not remember correctly)

7. super77gg

super77gg

Thanks guys - we will continue to look into this. Just so I'm aware - even if we force project ot use Open GLES 2.0, we should still expect to see : cpu-ogles-drv> min: 0.0 max: 0.0 avg: 0.0 on the internal profiler ?

8. gecko

gecko

I've got the same problem, using Unity 4.6.5. The FPS panel of the xcode profiler has 0 FPS and empty spaces where there used to be graphs of GPU usage.

Attached Files:

9. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

>>cpu-ogles-drv> min: 0.0 max: 0.0 avg: 0.0 on the internal profiler ?
    i think this is no longer updated from inside unity itself. Why we didnt kill it? i dunno honestly 8)
    >>The FPS panel of the xcode profiler has 0 FPS
    1. Make sure you picked appropriate api in product->scheme->edit scheme->Gpu Frame Capture
    2. we noticed some issues with xcode tools VS the way we handle display link.
    Check UnityAppController+Rendering.mm in trampoline, it has this comment:
    Code (csharp):
    2. // NB: if you intend yo use xcode GPU report (FPS category in Debug Session) you want to set ENABLE_DISPATCH to 0
    3. // otherwise xcode gets confused and think CPU time was 0

10. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

It seems the iPhone 6 or newer use metal graphic api. GPU Report will not work If the GPU Frame Capture set to "Automatically Enabled".
    According the info here. If I changed the GPU Frame Capture to "Metal", it works fine now with my iPhone 6.
    2 set GPU capture.png

11. hundaxxx

hundaxxx

It seems not worked in Unity after I choose the "Metal" in Xcode.Does GPU Report work only in Xcode?

12. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I believe the setting of the Unity is not related to GPU Report setting, so yes, it should be set in Xcode.