Search Unity

iOS metal rendering specifics

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by blunzn, May 23, 2016.

1. blunzn

blunzn

Hi,

i am working on a native metal rendering & compute plugin, and i am having trouble with metal performance on iOS.
    Even in an empty project, profiling with Instruments "Metal System Trace" shows that the fragment shader uses ~14ms/frame. Adding some rendering doesn't change that - as long its not too much, it always uses its 14ms.

Unity metal trace.png

This would not be a problem, but when i run additional kernel shaders (= metals compute shader), it cannot be done in parallel to the fragment shader. So if my kernel shader takes 4ms, the frame already takes 18ms.
    This trace is taken with 5.4 beta, but 5.3.4 shows the same pattern. Quality settings are on "fastest", so no AntiAliasing is used, i also verified this by debugging the Xcode project.

When i run a custom iOS metal project, the system trace shows no such behaviour. For testing, i am rendering a small amount of particles.

Custom project metal trace.png

Do you know what could be the reason for this? How could it be changed?
    Thanks!

2. blunzn

blunzn

Turns out that disabling depth and stencil solves the issue. Unfortunately this doesn't work via "Player Settings->Resolution and Presentation->Disable Depth and Stencil", which seems to be ignored by the Metal renderer. But fortunately its possible to prevent the creation of depth and stencil buffers in MetalHelper.mm, by deleting the contents of
    extern "C" void CreateSharedDepthbufferMTL(UnityDisplaySurfaceMTL* surface)

I guess just using metal encoders handling those buffers, although not actually used for rendering, poses this huge overhead. Without them fragment time is down to 2.5ms (iPad mini2) for an empty renderer, which seems to be the normal overhead for a render encoder.

JeanLuc likes this.
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc

@blunzn Thank you!
    I had the issue of rendering just an empty scene with just 1 camera needed 7ms of GPU frame time on an iPad Mini 2.

After removing the content of CreateSharedDepthbufferMTL(...) in MetalHelper.mm, the GPU frame time dropped to 3.5ms.

In my actual project the GPU frame time dropped from 19ms to 14ms.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Please do a bug report. It seems like something that should be fixed in a more permanent way by Unity.