Search Unity

iOS - Downloading Additional Content

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by x10z, Oct 25, 2011.

1. x10z

x10z

Hello there,

I've been struggling to get my app below 20mb for over the air downloads.
    It's a really painful struggle with Unity ...!

That being said, the only way I will be able to do this is having some additional content downloaded inside the App itself.

I checked the http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/iphone-Downloadable-Content.html suggestion.

Everything seems fine until System.IO comes in to save files to disk. I use micro mscorlib, and if I'm correct , this is uncompatible with System.IO, meaning this screws me again... To have data downloaded from the web and saving it to disk I will have to make my game go over 20mb , beating the reason I wanted to do it in the first place...

Is there any other way to do this ? Can I download additional content and store it without using System.IO ?

Help is appreciated guys , I'm going crazy with Unity and binary file sizes...
    Thanks in advance!

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

WWW.LoadFromCacheOrDownload with asset bundle works too.

Just be aware that you can't use this to offer a shell on the appstore and download the real gameplay. the game must work without network connection in a reasonable way after download or apple will just reject it.

Question is: is the stripping really your problem or are you just badly targeting it (building a universal binary for example instead of ARMV7 only)

3. x10z

x10z

Hi and thanks a lot Dreamora , I will look into this!

I am using ARMV6 only, the thing is I'm doing a 2D game, PVRTC is mostly out of question , so textures are huge, and also I'm targetting both new and old devices, so Retina and Non Retina coexist. And this is where this will come in , I'm trying to release the game with SD graphics only and having the Retina graphics downloadable, so gameplay is all there. My idea is that people download it , and then have the game in retina forever, but if they dont care about it, the game is still there to be played.

Also , is it possible to download in background ? Allowing people to play while downloading ?

4. jcarpay

jcarpay

I'm not sure that's true, as long as you don't download additional code (which is not possible with asset bundles anyway), you should be fine.
    Take for example newspaper apps. These are basicly empty shell applications where all the content is downloaded through network connection...

5. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

As Apple already said, games are not reviewed like usual apps.
    If you make a free demo requiring a download to unlock the real game its possible they'll reject it.
    Unless the demo has enough content where they judge to be enough for a release.

6. squishydonut

squishydonut

So if you have a game with maps and a vehicle, you can have add-on vehicles that can be downloaded on the fly? Things like additional maps, etc?