Search Unity

iOS Development and Testing Workflow

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Cato11, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Cato11

Cato11

Hi All,

I am a relatively new user of Unity attempting to develop my first game, which will be on iOS. I have spent many months prototyping my game's core mechanics and physics on a Windows machine. I then recently transitioned to macOS. Up to now, I have been "simulating" an iOS device crudely using aspect ratios in Game View. My inputs are keyboard-based (simple button presses to represent screen taps) which I need to modify to real touch input.

I hope that gives some basic context.

My challenge now is to come up with a good workflow for continuously deploying and testing my game on iOS as I ramp up development. Please note that I am not asking a technical question about deployment, e.g. Unity build settings, Apple dev accounts, Xcode, provisioning profiles, certificates etc. There are many tutorials about this which I have already read. I have thus already successfully deployed my game to iOS and witnessed it load on my physical iPhone. It is an awesome feeling!

My questions are therefore more about workflow and good practices that are efficient and effective. I have tried searching guides about this but I am finding surprisingly little information about it. If any experienced developers have any pointers to the questions below, that would be really appreciated!

1. When I develop the game on my Mac, I am using a keyboard/mouse to interact with it. How do I best move from this towards iOS touch input? E.g. should I have two distinct control schemes (one for Mac, one for iOS) and make the game dynamically select scheme based on the device?

2. When I update my code, do I need to rebuild and redeploy via Xcode every time? Even for small changes? This seems like it would be very time consuming. Or is the device simulator sufficient for small changes? What about using Unity Remote 5?

3. Is there an efficient and easy way to scale the size of assets based on device and resolution? This is obviously a big question but any tips would be great.

4. Is there an efficient and easy way to scale layout and positioning based on device and resolution? Is this simply a question of anchor points?

5. Should each version of an iPhone have its own build? E.g. I assume it is not efficient to have iPhone 13 Pro Max resolution assets within an iPhone SE build. Or should there be only one build/download, and we then only load the correct resolution assets based on the device?

6. If one doesn't have the luxury of multiple iPhone models for testing, is the device simulator sufficient?

7. Is there anything in particular to be wary of or cautious about when developing for iOS?

I know some of these are basic but any tips or advice would be really appreciated. Feel free to redirect me to existing articles if appropriate, I have been struggling to find them.

Nit_Ram likes this.