Search Unity

iOS Developer Team ID how does it work?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by User340, Oct 9, 2016.

1. User340

User340

Hi,

I can't figure out how this property works in the PlayerSettings. I tried setting it to the main email address, no luck. I tried the admin's name (first and last) no luck. What do you put in there?

luma2057 likes this.
  2. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hi @_Daniel_,
    If you check out the Unity Manual you can find the description of what goes into the developer Team ID. I will copy and paste it here for you:

Apple Developer Team ID Set this property with your Apple Developer Team ID. You can find this on the Apple Developer website under Account > Membership. This sets the Team ID for the generated Xcode project, allowing developers to use the Build and Run functionality. An Apple Developer Team ID must be set here for automatic signing of your app.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Cheers,
    Chris

sonnyb, ReaktorDave, roointan and 7 others like this.
  3. User340

User340

Thanks, I had tried that before I posted. It was still red in Xcode (invalid). Is this working for anyone?

4. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hey @_Daniel_,
    Is your App correctly setup in the provisioning portal? There are many factors that could cause it to show up as invalid. I will be happy to help you and maybe we can make the experience better for you in Unity with your feedback. If you can provide any extra information it would be much appreciated. I'd be willing to do a screen share if you want to walk through it together.
    Cheers,
    Chris

5. Moonjump

Moonjump

It is a code rather than a name that should be entered. I was making the same mistake as you.

Go to developer.apple.com
    Select Account
    Select Membership
    See Team ID

6. User340

User340

Thanks guys, it's working. I was going to iTunes Connect instead. Didn't realize it was developer.apple.com was where I needed to go.

Christopher, my suggestions for improvement would be to specifically state developer.apple.com because Apple Developer Website is kind of generic (iTunes Connect is a developer site too) especially in the tooltip in the inspector. Also you could have a sample of what Team IDs look like (like WOQ920A) so people aren't trying email addresses and names.

itayganor likes this.
  7. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hi @_Daniel_,
    Thanks for the feedback. The links I posted in both the manual and in this thread bring you to the developer.apple.com URL. I will make that more explicit in the docs and add an example Team ID that shows users what one may look like. Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you were able to get it working.
    Cheers,
    Chris

luma2057 and User340 like this.
  8. Jelmersb

Jelmersb

Hey,

I have 3 teams (personal, corporate, free). When I follow this:
    Go to developer.apple.com
    Select Account
    Select Membership
    See Team ID

I always get a red dropdown in Xcode which says "unknown name", and it shows a string that is different from the one i entered in unity. In Xcode, I then select the correct team, and the app builds.. what goes wrong here?

9. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hey @Jelmersb,
    What is in your player settings? What is in your preferences under external tools?

10. bantherewind

bantherewind

I'm having the same issue. The team ID which appears in Xcode after a build is not the one I have entered in Unity. I tried putting my team ID in both (and either) the "External Tools" in Preferences and in Player Settings. I don't recognize the string which is generated from Unity (it looks like a Team ID, but not mine). Provisioning and all else is set up correctly.

For now, I just build / append to the Xcode project. In Xcode, I select my team from the dropdown in Xcode and run from there. So it's working, but it would be nice to be able to "Build and Run" from Unity so I could get line numbers from exceptions.

11. bererton

bererton

I just got this working and at first had the same problem with the "unknown name" @bantherewind you might be copying the text that shows the actual team name, rather than the string of capital letters and numbers that represents the team ID? My team IDs are 10 characters long with no spaces.

It's a bit confusing because the first error in XCode makes you think you need to enter the team name instead of the team ID, two different things.

Also, I only set it in Player preferences.

12. bantherewind

bantherewind

I'm using the ten character team ID, as it appears on the Membership page in the developer portal. After building, a different ten character ID appears in Xcode. My provisioning profile was built on my team page, etc. I have no idea where this other ID is originating.

13. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure this link is in any way related to Apple's Development Team ID that you need to code sign your application for development or building to the app store.

14. joshpetersonhush

joshpetersonhush

Hey, anyone have a fix for this? I've selected the dropdown manually 1000's of times over the last few months and I'm pretty tired of it. Significant loss of productivity because you have to babysit it while it builds.

When I paste in my id # in player preferences, it looks like Unity loads my profile, because a second later the checkbox switches back to Automanage enabled. But then when the build hits xcode the org is wrong. Must be apple's issue?? But still.....need a fix omg.

15. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Which version of Unity are you on? I believe there is a fix going out in a patch release.

16. joshpetersonhush

joshpetersonhush

I'm on the latest 2017, will stay tuned thanks

17. WelchCompositions

WelchCompositions

If I select "Build" and not "Build And Run" in Unity does this still update the xcode projects signing? If I open Xcode manually later will the fields be populated? Im having trouble getting consistent results.

Update: After a bunch more testing it DOES seem to work using just build which is great. Though is there a way to use an xcode command line argument to do the same thing? Im setting up Jenkins CI pipeline and if this setting gets forgotten in the Unity project I want to be able to have jenkins run a shell script to handle it. I cant seem to find any xcode documentation on how to accomplish this but SOMEHOW Unity is setting these.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  18. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

Wouldn’t it be possible to get team IDs from the Keychain and provide a dropdown?

19. Fattie

Fattie

hi @christophergoy - thanks for your positive feedback and help on this topic!

(just BTW, oddly your @ name does not autocomplete!)

20. klixklix

klixklix

I had the same question and found this page. The solution was quiet simple, but lost of 2 hours.
    If you go to your apple membership page account, under ID there are three informations
    Name, Prefix and ID.
    That´s confusing, your are asked for the singning team ID and this means the prefix, not the ID.
    Using the prefix it worked instantly.

21. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

You can also check your developer/distribution certificate in your keychain via the Keychain app.
    Select the Certificate -> context click -> Get Info
    There you see the Team ID, labelled Organisational Unit

22. Fattie

Fattie