Search Unity

  1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

iOS Developer Program - individual or company?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by rjdfhorn2006, Dec 11, 2011.

  1. rjdfhorn2006


    Jun 14, 2010
    I am ready to begin testing an iOS game i've been working on. It's my understanding that you must have an Apple iOS developer's license in order to test on iOS devices using the Unity remote - am I wrong? - can I use the Unity remote to test my game without being registered as an Apple iOS developer - is the license only required to sell your apps in the App Store??

    Also, I went to Apple's developer page to begin signing up for a developer's license - I could choose between "individual" or "company." Which should I choose? I am a one-man team and haven't formed an actual company but I've heard the company profile is better. If I should choose company, do I need to send paperwork to Apple proving i'm a company or anything like that? I'm asking this because I would like to sell my apps under a company name, and not my legal name,

    Last but not least - I plan to purchase the iOS basic license from Unity. How long does the license last?

    All answers/advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. hippocoder


    Digital Ape Moderator

    Apr 11, 2010
    Apple will check up on you. If you don't have a valid business you will not be accepted. You need to do individual if you aren't a business. You are required to fax documents proving you have a business in your name if you sign up as a business or company.

    The unity licenses last for all eternity. Obviously the license is only valid for 3.x but in the future, you'll get upgrades for cheaper anyway. But nobody can stop you using 3.x so its fine to invest.
  3. goat


    Aug 24, 2009
    I talked with Apple and you should know having an EIN from the IRS if in USA is not enough. You have to have an LLC and in Kentucky at least, that means registering with the IRS as an LLC and then registering with the state as an LLC. The part with the state usually costs a nominal filing fee.

    When you do get the paperwork back from the state you have to send a copy to Apple.
  4. phocker


    Sep 12, 2010
    if you want to start developing/testing immediately on ios and do not have your company setup (EIN/LLC, etc) then I suggest that you get an Individual developer license -- then when all your company paperwork is done, switch it to company license -- there is no charge from Apple to do this -- however it does take a few weeks for them to clear everything