Search Unity

iOS Crash

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by jamesmilkcap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. jamesmilkcap

jamesmilkcap

Hi there,

My cloud builds for iOS are crashing when I connect my device to the internet (if I turn my device onto Airplane mode then there are no crashes).

In Unity 4.5.5p1 there was a fix for memory leaks in the www class, but this fix has unfortunately caused an issues which means that the game crashes when making www calls (no crashes when device is in Airplane mode though) - others have been seeing this too, please look at the comments on this ticket:

http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/memory-leak-in-www-class-on-ios

Screenshot of crash in xcode:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Mgm4C7C7Qmo/w1359-h954-no/GameCenterCrash.png

If you look at the comments by GRAHAMREEVES he has a fix for this in the WWWConnection.mm class.

My concern is that the issue from 4.5.5p1 has been brought over to the cloud build versions as the symptoms for the crash on the cloud build versions are exactly the same for crashing the 4.5.5p1 version (put either into Airplane mode and no crash). I've tried building to a few different Unity versions on cloud build but I'm still getting this issue -- does each version use it's own iOS trampoline code (WWWConnection.mmm etc.), are some of the resources shared?

If I build on my local machine with Unity 4.5.4p3 then I do not get this issue at all.

Thanks in advance!

hypeNate likes this.
  2. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi @jamesmilkcap - Thanks for mentioning this. We are now testing Unity 4.5.5p1 on Unity Cloud Build, and we'll announce it here when we've upgraded to that version.

3. jamesmilkcap

jamesmilkcap

Hi hypeNate, thanks for your response. The issue mentioned here is also an issue in 4.5.5p1, it's a bug with some of the iOS specific code, so unless this is resolved in the 4.5.5p1 that would go on Cloud Build then I'm afraid that the bug will most likely still be there :(

4. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@jamesmilkcap - in that case we'll wait on 4.5.5p1 and get the next version where this issue is fixed up on UCB as soon as we can. I'll make sure to announce it here once that happens. Thanks again!

EDIT: also, just to be clear UCB is not using 4.5.5p1, just 4.5.5...so not sure why you're seeing the same issue. What version of the Editor are you currently using?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. jamesmilkcap

jamesmilkcap

@hypeNate - Our current editor version is 4.5.4p3 - we only started to get the iOS crash with version 4.5.5p1 (which we believe is due to WWWConnection.mm (or is at least 'fixed' by modifying), as others in the thread I linked to also only started to experience this with 4.5.5p1). We haven't tried the release version of 4.5.5, however we've used many different flavours of the Unity 4 Editor and not had this issue before - building with 4.5.4p3 and below works fine with the Unity Editor, however any version that we select for Cloud Build is having crashing issues when the device is not in Airplane mode -- it's displaying the exact same crash symptoms as the build using the 4.5.5p1 Editor was.

6. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Thanks @jamesmilkcap - this is very helpful.

Is there anyone else out there who is seeing this same behavior on UCB? If so, please chime in here.

7. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

@jamesmilkcap Unity 4.5.5p2 was just released here. Could you please test locally if your problem still exists?

8. jamesmilkcap

jamesmilkcap

Hi @David Berger, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've only just had the chance to take another look at this. I've installed Unity 4.5.5p3 and the issue has been fixed, so thanks!

Prophet6989 and David-Berger like this.