Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback iOS: Changed default texture compression format from PVRTC to ASTC.

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Neonlyte, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

iPhone 5s and iPad Air (1st gen) are the only devices that do not support ASTC and is still upgradable to iOS 12. In my awareness, 2021.1 bumped the min version to 12. Will Unity 2021.2 change the minimum iOS version to 13 so that it explicitly cuts off support for iPhone 5s, since no public change logs of 2021.2 mentioned any min iOS version increase?

If Unity still expects to support iOS 12, setting the texture format default to ASTC could cause issues on iPhone 5s, even though a diminishingly small user group, could make unsuspecting devs publishing their apps with iOS 12 support but with ASTC texture that the old device does not support.

2. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

>>Will Unity 2021.2 change the minimum iOS version to 13
    no, but i would say it is safe to assume we will update the minimum soon

Neonlyte likes this.
  3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes ASTC is not supported on A7 chip devices, so if you're still targeting that, then using PVRTC might still be viable. It's possible to switch everything to default to PVRTC in iOS player settings if you need it: Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 09.14.11.png

However, A7 right now seems to be about 2% of the market. Games made with Unity 2021.2 are realistically probably a year or two away from shipping, by then A7 market share will be either even lower or non-existent at all.

JoNax97, dzamani, Neonlyte and 2 others like this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In this case Unity decompresses the ASTC texture on-the-fly and uses the uncompressed version instead?

Neonlyte likes this.
  5. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Yes

Neonlyte and Peter77 like this.
  6. ZimM

ZimM

Is there a reason there is no option to make ETC2 the default in player settings? It massively saves on space due to Crunch.

chrismarch likes this.
  7. chrismarch

chrismarch

I'd also like to know why this is the case, or if ETC2 + crunch will be available in the override drop down, as it seems a lot more practical for games with a lot of assets to download.

8. SuperRaffles

SuperRaffles

I'd also like to know how to make iOS use crunched textures by default, like Android.

Do we really have to go into the override panel per texture and change it to crunch? For potentially hundreds or thousands of textures :D

9. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

As far as I know we don‘t have a global setting on any platform to prefer Crunch. If you select ETC in BuildSettings or PlayerSettings it should not use Crunch. Am I missing something?

10. jesliwang

jesliwang

Don't find this setting ON Unity 2020.3. But The Manual Say IT HAS!!! DO I MISS SOMETHING?

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's a 2021 feature.