Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're running great holiday deals on subscriptions, swag and Asset Store packages! Take a peek at this blog for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS cardboard support broken?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by batmobile, Mar 15, 2017.

1. batmobile

batmobile

I just made a basic test scene consisting of a rotating cube and a sphere mounted in front of the camera.

Works fine in Android Cardboard VR and Oculus, but when I compile to Cardboard on iOS the left and right eyes have their cameras set up wrong.

The sphere is not even showing in one eye, and the eye disparity is way too large. Not even the Unity loading logo is showing right.

I am testing on iPhone 6S, using Unity 5.6 beta 11.

Any ideas ?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Can you provide a screen shot showing the disparity?

3. batmobile

batmobile

Sure, here are screenshots from the app. Both the Unity loading screen and the simple test scene, as described in the first post:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As mentioned, looks completely fine when running the same app on Android with the Cardboard SDK:

[​IMG]

Let me know if you need the project files.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Are you manually changing VR render scale in your code?

5. batmobile

batmobile

No, and observe that the problem happens already on the Unity loading screen before any of my code is executed at all.

The only script running in the test case above is the one rotating the cube, everything else are the default settings.

6. jabonz2048

jabonz2048

Hey everyone,

I am having exactly the same issue. I need my Unity Cardboard app to work in both Android and iOS. Using Android, the scene is rendered correctly, in iOS, I am seeing the issue with the rendering as batmobile is seeing. This is using Unity 5.6b11, and built in Cardboard VR support. This is both with a simple sample project, as it is with our more complex scene.

No settings such as VR render scale or any others were altered from default settings. We tried forcing the graphics API to GLES2, GLES3 or Metal, with no difference in the rendered scene.

I am testing whether going back to 5.5 and using the Google Cardboard SDK works better at the moment.

I can attach additional tests or screenshots if it is of any help.

7. batmobile

batmobile

I just tried the latest beta 5.6.0f1, and now the test scene wont even compile at all.

When the Cardboard SDK is enabled, I get:

Apple Mach-O Linker (ld) Error Group
    Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    "_gvr_controller_state_get_position", referenced from:
    LoadGVRPlugin(GVRPlugin*, char const*) in libiPhone-lib.a(ApiFuncGVR.o)
    "_gvr_controller_state_get_last_position_timestamp", referenced from:
    LoadGVRPlugin(GVRPlugin*, char const*) in libiPhone-lib.a(ApiFuncGVR.o)
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I even tried to set up an entire new empty test project from the new Unity version, and it fails.

8. mattSydney

mattSydney

Exact same problem here

9. batmobile

batmobile

I checked different beta builds now, and anyone who need this to work has to revert to 5.6.0b10 until Unity addresses the broken VR-support for Apple's devices.

10. jabonz2048

jabonz2048

I have tried the new 5.6.0f3 release and native Cardboard support works like a charm! Tested on iPhone 5S and 7 Plus. This is great :)

11. Cascho01

Cascho01

I can provoke my Samsung Galaxy S7 Android device to display these wrong views shown above:

Since Android 7.0 we can switch the resolution from the device down from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080.
    The bug appears only then, going back to 2560x1440 solves it.

I compiled from Unity 5.5.1.
    Maybe this helps.

12. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

13. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

14. kor

kor

Thanks for the link @lafindutemps . Looks like this is fixed in b7.

15. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

as far as I know 2017.1b7 does not fix that issue, or I did something wrong in the process.

16. kor

kor

Ah god damn it Unity. I'll be trying it it tomorrow anyway, I need it to work... Will try to report back. Thanks for the reply @MaskedMouse

17. kor

kor

18. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I had a hunch that b8 shouldve fixed it
    Its backported to 5.6 but is that to 5.6.1p2?
    These 2 were released yesterday (I anticipated the release as they mostly release it after i'm done at work on a friday)
    Totally missed that line about this fix while reading

19. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

Yep - 2017.1.0b8 does fix the l/r mismatch... time to find out what other critical thing got broken during the fixing!

20. kor

kor

lafindutemps likes this.
  21. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

22. seligc

seligc

It sounds like Unity 2017.1.0b8 fixes this issue. Anyone know roughly when that leaves beta and goes live?

23. kor

kor

Correct. For iOS its great. I found building on Windows for Android Cardboard / GearVR the stores would reject the apk due to the "Android: Apk files are now signed using the new APK Signature Scheme v2" (release notes) but that might be an optional setting I couldn't find.

Sorry not sure if there is a release date. Intrigued to know also.

24. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

same problem

25. justdizzy

justdizzy

I just downloaded 5.6.2p1 and this (batmobile's OP) is fixed for me, without and with the additional GVR Unity SDK 1.60.0 plugin.