Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS builds: Reflection probes? Canvas? Performance?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by StarManta, Oct 29, 2014.

1. StarManta

StarManta

So far, I've had little success in getting a worthwhile iOS build from Unity 5 beta 9.

1) Any build I have tried with a Canvas simply hasn't worked. Got to the loading screen, then it freezes (and even freezes XCode that's attached and debugging it, bizarrely enough). Deleting the Canvas allows the build to work, but of course we are then lacking in GUI.... has anyone had success getting the UI to build in 5.0b9?

2) Any object in the scene whose appearance depends on reflection probes just looks black with a few highlights, as if the RP's are just showing all black. Reflection probes are expected to work on iOS, aren't they?

3) Performance on even an extremely simple scene is abysmal. With almost no script, and only 5 objects in the scene, the game runs at less than 20 fps. This is on an iPad 4, which would run a much more complicated scene without PBS at 60fps without breaking a sweat. Is this extreme drop in performance the expected tradeoff for using PBS? It seems.... a little much. (The scene does also have realtime soft shadows, but I've done the same on, again, much more complicated scenes at much higher framerates.)

I've considered the possibility that the reason for 2 & 3 is that it's background rendering the reflection map for the probe, but the issues persist no matter how long I leave it running.

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. Kuba

Kuba

Ad 2) Reflection probes seem to be working on our end on iOS, so please file a bug report with a repro scene and device details.

Ad 3) Such low performance for this scene complexity is certainly not expected, especially on iPad 4. Please file a bug that shows the issue.

In the current beta only baked reflection probes are available and they are baked in the Editor.

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. Marcellus_Wilson

Marcellus_Wilson

I am having similar issues. My builds on iOS have been horrible which crash in 2-3 seconds 95% of the time and 5% of the time, the the game doesn't crash but half my game logic doesn't work and all non static objects show very weird shader bugs. It works in the editor but the builds just do not work at all. I've been using the new GUI and have it working well in 4.6 b20. The only change I made between 4.6 and 5.09 was to use the standard shader light probes the reflection probe and the unity 5 lighting generally. Your saying it works for you, well it is completely failing for me and I don't know whats wrong. If I did something wrong or if there is some kind of workaround I'd love to know it because I would love to use it. This is a massive setback as I'm under serious time pressures and I need to know if I need to prepare my current level development for PBS or not. My bug report is 643785.
    -Thank You

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. StarManta

StarManta

Switching to 'On Demand' and baking in the editor fixes #2, but performance is still bad.

5. macdude2

macdude2

Did you guys get realtime gi to work at all? When I build for iOS, I just get wierd wave patterns on the walls, but no gi! I'd be wonderful if the gi actually worked!

6. Kuba

Kuba

Switching from which mode? Iterative? If relfection probes don't work for you in Iterative mode in the iOS build, please submit a bug report.

7. Kuba

Kuba

Realtime GI is not supported on iOS in your current build. It will arrive within a week or two.

Reflection probes and baked GI should work just fine though.

8. macdude2

macdude2

Awesome! Can't wait! Unfortunately though, I am still having trouble getting reflection probes to work. A scene with reflection probes looks and normal maps looks completely flat on my iPad Air 2 running through Metal. Though perhaps its my iPad? I've heard certain apps on the App Store don't look quite right on the new iPad, have you guys tested your tech on them yet?