Search Unity

ios build

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by eyalchess, Aug 11, 2016.

1. eyalchess

eyalchess

when i build my application for ios platform, my application has a huge size of 2.5 GB.
    i looked at my data and noticed that i have a RESS file called sharedassest0.assest.
    it weights 2.1 GB. what is the meaning of this file? i cant put my app for UpStore, it weights too much!

2. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hi @eyalchess,
    Usually the unity library included in your project is very large due to the number of architectures we need to include into the binary. This is slimmed down on Apple's side after you submit your app. You can use the app submission tool to estimate the size of your app.

If this file isn't the library file, then I would recommend investigating any 3rd party plugins you might be using to see if they are the reason for the size of your app.

If this doesn't help, please add any further information you have here.
    Cheers,
    Chris

3. rendermouse

rendermouse

That file most likely contains all the art and sound assets of your game. So the issue is probably not "Why did Unity make my build so big?" but rather, "What is in my game that I could make smaller?"

After you do a build, view your Console, and click the tiny drop down menu in the upper right corner of the Console window. Select "Open Editor Log" and you will be able to scroll up through the log file and see a breakdown of all your assets and how much space they are taking up.

You may need to reduce your image sizes, reduce audio files by converting to mono or reducing bitrates, etc. Hopefully you haven't used high-polygon models, or you will have a great deal of work to do in getting those down to a smaller size.

If you simply cannot reduce your game assets, you may have to use AssetBundles to load your content from the cloud from within the app.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016