Search Unity

iOS build has magenta instead of transparent

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by zumwalt, Jul 26, 2019.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

So i build for Android, my game splash is cool and so is my menus, the transparency works fine, i build for PC, good to go, i port to the MacBook and build for iPhone / iPad and get a magenta covering my menus, literally, i have deleted the library folder, and re-imported everything, always on 2019.3.10alpha i get magenta, thats all i see, what gives with this? How do i fix this? the canvas, the entire canvas, is just magenta.

Attached Files:

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Magenta means the shader has an error on that platform. What shader are you using?

3. zumwalt

zumwalt

No shader in use, just an image with transparency. Background of black.
    If it is true that the shader has problems, it is the default/UI material shader that is built into Unity..
    Only a problem on iPad/iPhone though, no where else...

Bloody brilliant, the problem is in the built in UI shader in Unity itself, only shader on all menu's is that shader, and on all UI elements on the iPad/iPhone with this build of Unity alpha, 3.0.10a alpha, that shader is broke, no clue where in the shader code the issue is in general but it's broke. Hope 11a comes out ASAP and has that shader fixed for the iPad/iPhone build. No clue how to get around this problem right now either.

EDIT:
    7/26/2019 14:58 PM CST
    Found the failed condition specific only to iPad/iPhone development / deployment debug or release, doesn't matter in all cases, so far anyway, might be a few undetermined cases yet to discover. An image, with NO material applied to the image on the canvas is replaced by magenta, adding ANY material to the image resolves the magenta issue and the image shows properly, so you can not have an image, on a canvas, without a material (no none), just using the first material in my materials list fixed this, but changing back to NONE for material gives me the magenta again, still testing other scenarios.

Ok so i confirmed this on too many levels on my MacBook Pro for this project, if i do not have a material on my image assigned, then the entire image is magenta, but if i put a material on it, then my image is crap, but this is only in iPad / iPhone in this alpha, it is not worth trying to find a way to add a material that the image likes and still just show the image on the canvas in this alpha build. Hopefully this particular bug will be resolved in 11a

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    IMD likes this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Submit a bug report.