Search Unity

iOS Bluetooth Keyboard Support?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by happytodd, Sep 15, 2011.

1. happytodd

happytodd

I have done a couple of searches and have not found a definite answer.

Is there Bluetooth Keyboard Support for iOS apps, not for typing in text boxes but rather to move a person around in a room? I'm sure this must be somewhat possible as you can do this with an iPad accessory, the iCade.

Kind regards,
    Todd Drexel

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats not possible. iOS keyboard (and any thats hooked up and supported) support is really limited to text input for the rest the touch screen - accelerometer - gyro are there

3. Morgan

Morgan

Any new info on this, 2 years later? Full keyboard control (detecting long holds etc.) is impossible I think, but detecting a single key entry should be possible for iCade support--which is why I'm interested.

I think it's often done by using an invisible text field maybe? Any good way to support iCade in Unity currently? (Keyboard itself also needs to be hidden, which I'd hope would be easy or automatic when using Bluetooth.) I'm an iCade junkie, and I'd like to share the "best practices" for Unity iCade support with other devs as well.

(New officially-supported controllers are on the way, but there are lot of iCades out there already... some of them in my house...)

4. BrinkHouseGames

BrinkHouseGames

I'm developing a puzzle/survival game now that supports iCade, I'd like to do more with the device, like allow the game to recognize when it's connected so you can flick through menus with buttons instead of the screen but documentation on bluetooth detection is slim to none, as far as I can tell. Frustrating.

5. Morgan

Morgan

6. Muckel

Muckel

hello,
    it's a shame that there is no support until now...
    with android it works fine but with iOS no way...
    i can not understand why there is no support for this...
    bluetooth keyboards working fine in all other app's on iOS expect Unity3d!!!
    and nobody cares...
    M.

User340 likes this.
  7. hippogames

hippogames