Search Unity

[iOS] Asteroid Asteroid - Asteroids influence with Crossy Road inspired styling

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Vilmos_VR, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Vilmos_VR

Vilmos_VR

Hello,
    I just released Asteroid Asteroid on the App Store. As you can probably guess, it is an arcade style space shooter; blast asteroids and UFO's. A few quirky features of the game: The ship only turns 90 or 180 degrees (depending on swipe and current direction the ship is facing), the camera is tilted orthographic (an odd tilt, so it doesn't look like 90 or 180 degree turns) and of course there is voxel artwork. I did commit a cardinal sin of game design, but I think it is OK here; one input can result in two different behaviors (and that's usually a no no) In this case, when you swipe, if the ship is facing the direction of the swipe then thrust is applied, otherwise the ship turns in that direction (there is a little animated tutorial at the bottom of the screen) It's oddly intuitive though, been getting good feedback on that element of the game.

There is screen wrap, and levels with increasing difficulty. This game is trying to recreate the old arcade feel. It's relatively simple but there is a lot of action going on. It's not just an idle clicker game. You will die a lot when you play this game. But you will be having fun, and that's what it's about after all.

I don't like loot boxes, so the way to get another ship is to play a mini game within the game. This mini game was inspired by the 80's game show "Press Your Luck". Basically, the ships are randomly highlighted and you have to press a button to freeze the selection; but, you win when you select the same ship TWICE! I think this gives the mini game better playability by making the game last longer and creating tension. The selector speeds up the longer you play the game! The game costs 100 gold to play, and gold is earned in game (blasting a small golden asteroid), Rewarded Video, or IAP. The ships were inspired from many different places (some by animals, some by military aircraft...) Also, there is a secret ship to unlock...

One last thing. This game started as the Unity Space Shooter Tutorial game. I ended up tweaking it so much that this game came from it.

I hope you check it out and I really hope you enjoy playing it! Just one more thing, I want to thank the Unity Community, you all have no idea how much help and support you provided me while I was making this game. It's thanks to you that I was able to make this game. There are so many of you that helped me - Thank You! (That was the last thing ;))

The link for the game: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1262922739