Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[iOS/Android] WindChaser

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by BigBadPanda, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BigBadPanda

BigBadPanda

2. Doug_B

Doug_B

Hi BigBadPanda,
    The graphics and presentation are very crisp - I really like the low poly models. Did you make them yourself?
    Having played the game, for feedback, I would offer the following small points:
    1. When play ends, the game over falls nicely into view. But pressing play just bashes right into the next game. Would feel better if the transition was as smooth in reverse - maybe the "game over" sign bounces out and the screen dissolves into the next game or something like that.
    2. The wind animation plays against the direction of travel of the sail boat. This is counter intuitive. The wind should be flowing in the same direction as that of the sail boat's progress.
    3. For the medium-frantic pace of the game play, I can't help feeling that the fast side to side movement of the vessel is not fitting for a pleasure style sail boat. Not sure how you could get round that given you have the wind theme. Maybe it could be a catamaran or something more sporty to fit the action?
    However, an altogether pleasant looking game and it was fun to play - also impressive that you managed to fit it all into an install of less than 50Mb.

3. BigBadPanda

BigBadPanda

Yes I made the models, thank you.

-You are right about the game over part. Your suggestion sounds nice
    -In real life you sail against the wind, that is why it is not flowing in the same direction.
    -That is an actual racing sail First 40.7, but normaly I wanted to make the animation smoother to feel more realistic. The problem is the animation needs to be quick, because then you could hit an obstacle in mid animation.

Thank you for your feedback, means alot.

4. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@BigBadPanda
    A lots of things can be improve. The most obvious one is art style which currently looks incomplete. You can bring some atmosphere by enabling fog, custom screen overlay gradient, optimized bloom and so on to make it more attractive. A tileable scrolling water for the river with fake distortion effects (Tweak in model UV) is good too. The ambient lighting also needed to adjust due to very dark shadow and too black on some surfaces on rocks.

The UI/UX feels blended with the environment. You can make a very simple UI style like most casual games to differentiate between them. The font style and color feels not cool yet to catch players' eyes. Sometimes you need to make some custom fonts for your game to bring uniqueness. Now it feels like just some typing in document.

At last, I hope this is not a pure endless high score game. If it is, you need to rethink about this game's value then because this kind of game is nearly (Or maybe already) obsolete in the mobile market since half of mobile players already growing up becoming average / hardcore gamers now. They will get bored easily.

Here's my advice and suggestion.
    Good luck and keep it up.;)

5. BigBadPanda

BigBadPanda

Right now im working on a shader for sea, with some vertex manipulation and shoreline effect, but still got work to be done. Didn't want to play with post processing right now, because of performance, I wanted to see how the new shader will perform first.

I have ideas to be added for gameplay, such as storm events etc. to keep the game interesting.

Thank you for your feedback

6. Doug_B

Doug_B

One further thought I had about the wind - apologies for my ignorance of sailboats sailing into wind, by the way :) - is maybe you could have waypoints (marked by a mermaid sat on a rock??). The UI could show a distance to the next waypoint and the time that is left to reach it. That way it would give an added incentive to try and catch the wind.

Did you do your models in Blender or some other package? I'm not an artist myself - tried playing with Blender but struggled to get my head round it. :)

7. BigBadPanda

BigBadPanda

Did them using Blender, I enjoy the modeling and learning journey. Watch some youtube videos, not tutorials, and see how people do them. This way it gives you an idea and lots of practice. :D

Gonna keep waypoint system in mind, but got to find out some purpose for it. Like maybe giving a booster if you complete a chain of waypoints, dont know right now. Good thinking.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B

Yes, YouTube and Googling is your friend in these situations. I have watched a number of tutorials and help pages etc. It is mainly a case of finding the time of an evening after a day's graft. :)

With waypoints, the typical purpose would be to avoid "game over" on not making it to the point in time. But maybe you could have a 2 tier waypoints if you are thinking of boosts? Along the lines of:
    1. Make it to the next waypoint in a shorter time limit - receive a speed boost.
    2. Fail to make it to the waypoint in an extended timeframe - game over.