Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS Action / Adventure : Mauv

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Forge Vault, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

We're currently working on a HD graphics update for Mauv. We're also going to be tinkering with gameplay and content.

Heres a couple screenshots from the upcoming version which is NOT released yet. These screenshots are taken from the Mac port.

$mauvTexUp01.jpg

$mauvTexUp02.jpg

$mauvTextUp03.jpg

and a video without any audio as well :

Mauv is a story driven Action/Adventure video game currently in development by Forge Vault. The design is very classic, not unlike video games as they were a decade ago. However, we've added a twist by combining three core mechanics into one game.

As you adventure through the world, you will collect many different items. Of particular note are the tools and medals. Some tools allow you to do things you cant normally accomplish, such as overcome specific obstacles and puzzles. Other tools(and medals) will enhance your game play experience by altering the player characters performance. There is a wonderful story to follow, side Jobs to complete(if you choose), Ammo, Trophies, Hides, and an assortment of unique items to collect.

There are many unique characters to mingle with. Collectors and trappers are always eager to trade with you, while trainers are willing to impart their wisdom(medals) for a price.

The game menu is clean and thorough, offering detailed descriptions of all tools, medals, job and story data. You can also load and save your game inside the game menu.

The game is divided into regions, and the regions are composed of smaller areas. Currently there are 3 regions and a total of 27 areas, we are estimating 29 areas in total upon completion. Theres hours of game play already, and its fast paced!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. trooper

trooper

Looks really good, how bout some simple shadows?

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I agree this does look really good. keep it up!

4. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Shadows never even crossed my mind, only the player has a shadow right now. They would be really easy to implement and make a huge difference - thanks Trooper.

I'l try to get the shadows in for the next movie update.

@snowconesolid
    Thanks!

5. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

I've begun implementing shadows. The good guys have them but the enemies are still lacking. I've also started testing on the iPhone5, which I've shot this video straight off of.

This video is a detailed walk through for obtaining the pistol. Shooting the video of the device gives a nice idea of how the game will play, this particular video focuses on the side scroller aspect of the game. However, you will also see how I've tied together the different mechanics.
    P.S. Compression is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jGJfXRxxY

6. trooper

trooper

Try do some lightmapping too, environment shadows add major depth.

7. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Best I can do is aggressive vertex paint - for technical reasons with the lower end devices.

The meshes and textures are so optimized in this game I suspect I might be able to add real time shadows across the board for the higher end devices, that would however require unityPRO which is well beyond the budget right now...

We most definitely want shadows and specular in the next game.

edit : I take back what I said, I figured out a way to do shadows. I'l need to test it make sure she holds together on the lower end devices but I think it will work.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  8. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Shadows change the look of the game quite a bit. It was a good call Trooper, thanks! It's possible that shadows will be interactive with the player, wouldn't be hard to code at all - will depend on available resources really.

Shadows should be implemented across the game by monday, remaining game play should be finished on everything but the final boss also by Monday. When I get into the iPad testing, there is a chance of Mesh Smoothing the environments.

9. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Now that were testing on all devices, we are upgrading the graphics to look as good as possible on both smartphones and tablets. These screen shots represent some of the Side Scroller Areas in the game. They were taken while testing the game on Apples iPad Mini - I've reduced their size by 50% to make them more manageable for posting. I've also updated the images on the main post, the trailers are now completely obsolete with the old graphics. I'l focus on reshooting them next.

Enemies now have shadows, as do 50% of the levels.

10. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

I'm not sure why but we decided we'd revisit Mauv and spend 2 or 3 months to upgrade the graphics(and gameplay/content). One thing I noticed with Mauv, since switching to realtime lights, is that the graphics feel very hard as opposed to our other game(12 doors - WIP) which is using light mapping. Light maps aren't a viable option really for Mauv or 12 Doors since the games are digital and it tends to bloat download size. So, I've been thinking about PRO. I did a test below in photoshop blurring(very crudely) backgrounds of screenshots to soften up the image and we're debating wether or not the effects(blur, bloom, camera to texture render, etc..) will make a difference. It feels like I can't polish it right now using basic.

$mauvConceptBlur02.jpg

11. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

swapped out some of the old 256 textures for new 512 x 512 textures. Took this opportunity to make colour changes as well. These are from the Mac version, the iOS version has a top down camera. These graphics aren't released yet in the current commercial version of the game.

$mauvTexUp01.jpg

$mauvTexUp02.jpg

$mauvTextUp03.jpg