Search Unity

iOS 9 - Music Does Not Play

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by eezSZI, Oct 2, 2015.

1. eezSZI

eezSZI

We've noticed that a portion of our titles will not play their music when running on a device with iOS 9+. We have seen this across Unity 4.5 and less built titles.

We are continuing to go through and find correlations, but so far it looks like "Override iPod Music" could be the culprit. It appears when this is checked, music does not play on iOS 9. We know of at least one other developer with the same problem. Anyone else seeing this? Did Apple deprecate some calls related to that?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. eezSZI

eezSZI

Alright so it doesn't seem to be "Override iPod Music", now it is looking like it may be "Stream from disc" for the audioclips that are not working. Also, we have only seen it in Unity 4.5 and less.

3. eezSZI

eezSZI

No one else has run into this? Odd.

4. _Paulius

_Paulius

Mobile Developer Unity Technologies

Yes, we have seen this looks like that this affects all audio clips set to "Stream" on iOS9. But this is only happens with apps build with old 4.5 and 4.6 builds. This bug has been fixed around the time IL2CPP was introduced and is no longer reproducible with the latest 5.x and 4.6.x builds.

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. eezSZI

eezSZI

@_Paulius thanks for confirming! I assume there's no chance of Apple fixing whatever "broke". Looks like a lot of rebuilding is in our future.

6. eezSZI

eezSZI

7. kognito1

kognito1

Is Unity speak with Apple about this issue? There is a huge amount of apps live right now that are either affected or being removed from the store. Some of those have no intent of being resubmitted or will have to deal with forcing their users to repurchase the app.

eezSZI likes this.
  8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Why dont you read the changelogs and patch releases and upgrade Unity version as needed.
    Of course old version 4.5 not going support latest stuff, hence the new releases and patches..

9. eezSZI

eezSZI

Thanks for your useful comments. I'm aware the patches fix it - as I stated how our titles with 4.6 work fine. I work at a company with about 30 titles on the App Store and many of them have not been updated recently. So obviously I wanted to inquire about whether Unity or anyone else was aware of this issue to confirm my assumptions.