Search Unity

iOS 15 + WebGL 2 issue

Discussion in 'Web' started by LW2021, Sep 29, 2021.

1. chilledbits

chilledbits

This is exactly the same behavior I experience here: The suggested workaround by @brendanduncan_u3d lets my game start again without crashing. But after playing for some seconds the elements on the screen start to flicker heavily.

I tried to enforce WebGL1 again, but the behavior remains the same (flickering).

Is there a page where we can follow the "P1 Major issue" along? Or is this all Apple-Internal?

InteractivePaperGmbh likes this.
  2. simon_zappar

simon_zappar

Thanks so much @brendanduncan_u3d for narrowing this one down, the workaround seems good for my test case too.

One little note for anyone using Unity 2020, the Library folder to delete to ensure the il2cpp code with the workaround is rebuilt seems to be Library/Il2cppBuildCache - might be worth editing your post / posting a new topic so all the info is in one place.

xaldin-76 likes this.
  3. yty

yty

Thanks Brendan...But this solution doesn't work for webGL+URP....

Ios15.4+unity3d 2020.3.31f1 + webGL + Universal RP 10.8.1 + windows10.1 64 ...

4. fufuninja

fufuninja

5. simon_zappar

simon_zappar

It seems very weird that disabling optimizations for one function would cause this, but I see the same thing here - thanks for the note.

6. NotEaZy

NotEaZy

My game also has a canvas UI bug that keeps flickering and I have tried to build in both WebGL1 and WebGL2 and tried to turn off and on WebGL2 in ios but the issue is still there.

xaldin-76 likes this.
  7. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

I'll take a look at canvas UI, see if it's something new that needs to be reported to Apple.

8. M-SugayaTakuma

M-SugayaTakuma

@brendanduncan_u3d I am using WebGL2.
    In my project, when the RenderMode of the Canvas is Screen Space - Camera, the image flashes.
    This does not happen when Screen Space - Overlay is selected.
    I am not sure if this is a problem specific to my project or not.

9. chilledbits

chilledbits

Good Point!
    For me the flickering is also happening on the UI Canvas Layer

10. NotEaZy

NotEaZy

Thanks this actually fix my issue for the UI but my 2D character in the game is still flickering

Edit: After a bit of testing I found out that my 2D character require multiple different materials on it and I suspect it might be the issue.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  11. m0807591

m0807591

hello brendanduncan.I'm not very familiar with C#, I want to ask how to add #pragma clang optimize off and #pragma clang optimize on

12. AntonPiskorskiy

AntonPiskorskiy

I did everything as brendanduncan_u3d
    said, but I still don't have the game running on iOS 15.4. What to do?(

13. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Technically, the fix is for cpp, not c#. To add the lines, edit the file il2cpp/libil2cpp/metadata/GenericMetadata.cpp in a text editor. You can find this file in:
    MacOS:
    <Unity installation folder>/Unity.app/Contents/il2cpp/libil2cpp/metadata/GenericMetadata.cpp
    Windows:
    <Unity installation folder>/il2cpp/libil2cpp/metadata/GenericMetadata.cpp

Find the line
    const Il2CppType* GenericMetadata::InflateIfNeeded
    add the line #pragma clang optimize off on the line above it.
    Find the end of the function and add the #pragma clang optimize on line below it.

It should look like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma clang optimize off
    2.     const Il2CppType* GenericMetadata::InflateIfNeeded(const Il2CppType* type, const Il2CppGenericContext* context, bool inflateMethodVars)
    3.     {
    4.         switch (type->type)
    5.         {
    6.             case IL2CPP_TYPE_VAR:
    7.                 return InflateGenericParameterIfNeeded(type, context->class_inst);
    8.             case IL2CPP_TYPE_MVAR:
    9.             {
    10.                 if (context->method_inst)
    11.                     return InflateGenericParameterIfNeeded(type, context->method_inst);
    12.                 return type;
    13.             }
    14.             case IL2CPP_TYPE_ARRAY:
    15.             {
    16.                 const Il2CppType* inflatedElementType = InflateIfNeeded(type->data.array->etype, context, inflateMethodVars);
    17.                 if (!Il2CppTypeEqualityComparer::AreEqual(inflatedElementType, type->data.array->etype))
    18.                 {
    19.                     Il2CppType* inflatedType = (Il2CppType*)MetadataMalloc(sizeof(Il2CppType));
    20.                     memcpy(inflatedType, type, sizeof(Il2CppType));
    22.                     Il2CppArrayType* arrayType = (Il2CppArrayType*)MetadataMalloc(sizeof(Il2CppArrayType));
    23.                     memcpy(arrayType, type->data.array, sizeof(Il2CppArrayType));
    24.                     arrayType->etype = inflatedElementType;
    25.                     inflatedType->data.array = arrayType;
    27.                     ++il2cpp_runtime_stats.inflated_type_count;
    29.                     return inflatedType;
    30.                 }
    31.                 return type;
    32.             }
    33.             case IL2CPP_TYPE_PTR:
    34.             case IL2CPP_TYPE_SZARRAY:
    35.             {
    36.                 const Il2CppType* inflatedElementType = InflateIfNeeded(type->data.type, context, inflateMethodVars);
    37.                 if (!Il2CppTypeEqualityComparer::AreEqual(inflatedElementType, type->data.type))
    38.                 {
    39.                     Il2CppType* arrayType = (Il2CppType*)MetadataMalloc(sizeof(Il2CppType));
    40.                     memcpy(arrayType, type, sizeof(Il2CppType));
    41.                     arrayType->data.type = inflatedElementType;
    43.                     ++il2cpp_runtime_stats.inflated_type_count;
    45.                     return arrayType;
    46.                 }
    47.                 return type;
    48.             }
    49.             case IL2CPP_TYPE_GENERICINST:
    50.             {
    51.                 const Il2CppGenericInst* inst = type->data.generic_class->context.class_inst;
    52.                 if (inst == NULL)
    53.                     return NULL; // This is a generic type that was too deeply nested to generate
    55.                 const Il2CppGenericInst* inflatedInst = GetInflatedGenericIntance(inst, context, inflateMethodVars);
    56.                 Il2CppGenericClass* genericClass = GenericMetadata::GetGenericClass(GenericClass::GetTypeDefinition(type->data.generic_class), inflatedInst);
    57.                 if (genericClass != type->data.generic_class)
    58.                 {
    59.                     Il2CppType* genericType = (Il2CppType*)MetadataMalloc(sizeof(Il2CppType));
    60.                     memcpy(genericType, type, sizeof(Il2CppType));
    61.                     genericType->data.generic_class = genericClass;
    63.                     ++il2cpp_runtime_stats.inflated_type_count;
    65.                     return genericType;
    66.                 }
    68.                 return type;
    69.             }
    70.             default:
    71.                 return type;
    72.         }
    73.     }
    74. #pragma clang optimize on

CyborgGames, DMorock, kuwood and 3 others like this.
  14. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

If you had an existing Library/Bee/artifacts/WebGL/il2cpp, did you make sure to delete it? And by not having the game running, do you mean the crash?

15. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Apple claims they have fixed the problem. Fingers crossed they get the fix into the iOS branch of WebKit in time for the next iOS update.

Oneiros90 likes this.
  16. synchrok

synchrok

@brendanduncan_u3d Thank you very much for your work.

The issue that is not running in iOS 15.4 has been resolved,
    but SortingGroup has a issue that does not work normally. (Looks like z-axis fighting)

I know Apple will solve this problem someday, but I just wanted to let you know this issue.

17. RickLeung

RickLeung

Where does it come from? -->The issue that is not running in iOS 15.4 has been resolved, would love to know how you solved it please.
    I still couldn't run webgl on my IOS 15.4?

18. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

There are a number of issues going on here. WASM crashing is what my above band-aid fix deals with. There are a number of graphics issues. I know many of them have been fixed in the WebKit main branch now, and will just be pending Apple pulling those fixes into their iOS WebKit branch for release. Apple does not provide any information about their release schedule, or what things they put into each release, so we can only impatiently wait.

If there are graphics related issues that you would like me to look into to make sure they are getting resolved, please let me know and be specific, ideally with a small test example. MacOS Safari 15.4 (MacOS 12.3) has a lot of the same graphics issues, so you can test on that browser too if available to you.

19. simon_zappar

simon_zappar

I've done a bit more digging into relevant WebKit bugs on the webgl regressions to see if they give any hints for potential workarounds. There are a couple of interesting recent fixes that have potential workarounds:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/angle/angle/+/3450033
    This one fixes a bug around not resolving multisample buffers at the right time, and looks like it can be worked around by disabling antialiasing; I've confirmed this fixes this three js example with Safari 15.4 on M1 Mac (in both webgl1 and webgl2).

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/angle/angle/+/3426828
    It looks like invalidateFramebuffer is broken in 15.4, and Unity uses this (correctly) internally according to kbr. As this is intended to just be a performance optimization, some of the issues might be improved by just avoiding these calls on 15.4. One way might be to monkey-patch the function in the webgl context to a no-op to avoid the need to change Unity code at all.

I hope this helps someone!

20. chilledbits

chilledbits

I have reproduced the Flickering Issue in a minimal clean project.

Here you can find a small Unity Project with the sources:
    https://github.com/chilledbits/unityWebkitIssue

Here you can check the testcase:
    https://romanwache.de/uploads/webkitbug
    (UPDATE: or the simplified one: https://romanwache.de/uploads/webkitbug_notween/)

We can only see the Flickering behavior since iOS 15.4, beforehand everything was fine.
    Actually it doesn't happen on my MacOS Safari.

How to reproduce:
    • visit the live-test: https://romanwache.de/uploads/webkitbug with an iOS device ( >= 15.4)
    • Let the cards fly for around 40 seconds
    • Tap anywhere on the screen (NOT the button "remove canvas") this toggles the Animations on the screen
    • When the animations are stopped the Flickering starts
    • Once you click the button "remove canvas" the flickering stops
    So this seems to happen in the combination of Animators and more than one Canvas-Elements in the scene.

@brendanduncan_u3d >> I would be super happy if you could find the time to have a look here.
    Your help is highly appreciated.

UPDATE
    I simplified the version more: removed all DOTweens and went down to one single card with an Animator attached.
    The same happens, but now it could be easier to find the reason.
    https://romanwache.de/uploads/webkitbug_notween/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    yty likes this.
  21. RickLeung

RickLeung

IOS 15.4.1 still cannot load webgl...??? :eek:
    Runtime error: Out-of-bounds memory access (evaluating 'Module["asm"]

yty likes this.
  22. simon_zappar

simon_zappar

@RickLeung - Indeed, the underlying wasm issue in webkit hasn't been fixed yet, so 15.4.1 still requires the workaround. https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=238302 is the webkit bug to watch - there's a patch there now but not yet committed.

@chilledbits - From Safari's WebGL canvas recording function, it looks like the draws end up in the wrong order when the flickering happens. In the frame below the "wooden" background is actually the last draw call made. The first 3 are also mis-ordered (text, dot, background for the top overlay). No idea why this behaviour would be iOS only, but might give someone a hint about where to look.
    Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 14.49.56.png

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    xaldin-76 likes this.
  23. yty

yty

Updated ios 15.4.1, the problem is not resolved....:(

24. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Yeah, it's not in 15.4.1. They rushed that out to get the battery issues fixed. The Angle WebGL issues will get into 15.5 beta, and I suspect the WASM fix too. Which means we have to wait for the upcoming beta cycle to finish for 15.5 to get out to the masses.

25. synchrok

synchrok

Apply the cpp code fix below and build. It does not work perfectly, but run is possible.

26. Tempest_RTx

Tempest_RTx

@
    brendanduncan_u3d

I have been getting the same issue after upgrading to latest safari version 15.4 in Unity version 2020.3.22f, Unity version 2020.3.20f1,2019.4.31f1,2021.2.8f1

Runtime Error
    : Out of bounds memory access(evaluating'dynCall_ii(index,a1)')<?>.wasm-function[23135]@[wasm code]<?>.wasm-function[24968]@@[wasm code]<?>.wasm-function[26322]@[wasmcode]wasm-stub@[native code]nvoke_ii@blob:https://..............

but the weird part is the Webgl builds from 2020.3.11f , 2019.4.28 loads without the above error but the screen is zoomed in.. resolution is messed up.

but now I have noticed in the versions that work when we try using the notification bar or bring the app into background the error pops up

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  27. Raykindle

Raykindle

Hello,
    We've been struggling with this too. Tried the CPP fix suggested by brendanduncan_u3d, but did not work.
    We followed the exact same steps suggested but ended up getting the same Runtime Error
    : Out of bounds memory access(evaluating'dynCall_ii(index,a1)')<?>.wasm-function[23135]@[wasm code]<?

@brendanduncan_u3d, Can you kindly provide any other directions?

28. JonnyChoi

JonnyChoi

VideoPlayer Component does not work properly in IOS even if I modify the CPP code and run the build.
    How can i fix it?

29. JonnyChoi

JonnyChoi

i fix it like this
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         vp.audioOutputMode = VideoAudioOutputMode.None;
    2.         vp.EnableAudioTrack(0, false);
    3.         vp.SetDirectAudioMute(0, true);
    4.         vp.Play();    

30. unitynosf

unitynosf

Hello everyone;

just wanted to jump in with some info if it helps anyone:

We're developing WebGL games for mobile phones for a client, and as you may imagine - we hit a hard rock with this 15.4+ iOS thing - people are not happy either :D

However after some tests (lot of builds to be honest lol) - we found a FULLY working solution:

Unity 2021.1.22 (can't say if this works on other unity editor versions but it might):
    1. Do this https://forum.unity.com/threads/ios-15-webgl-2-issue.1176116/#post-7982496
    2. Build settings:
    - development build OR non-dev (both work)
    3. Publishing settings:
    - enable exceptions: explicitly thrown
    - data caching - works with on or off

And - yes, games work back on iOS 15.4.1 here and normal as usual on Android phones.

Good luck everyone!

31. Thaina

Thaina

This is working, thank you very much, but then when it would be fixed officially?

32. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Apple reported they have fixed the issue. The first beta for 15.5 released recently, and the fix isn't in that yet, but I am pretty confident they'll get it into one of the upcoming beta updates.

Thaina and shochet like this.
  33. RickLeung

RickLeung

How about the decompression option? None? Gzip?

34. ewajs

ewajs

Hi,
    We're sadly battling the same issue. However the fixes proposed in the thread (setting the #pragma directives in GenericMetadata.cpp to turn clang optimizations off and on suggested by @brendanduncan_u3d ) do not seem to make any noticeable change in the build result, we're seeing the same artifacts as before.

This is quickly becoming a major problem for us... Getting lot's of complaints from our customers that our application does not work...

We're using Brotli compression but disabling it doesn't seem to achieve any result either.

Our Unity Version is 2020.1.11f1. Could it be that this version won't work even with the fix? We're currently trying to upgrade to 2021.3.0f1 (LTS) to see if the fix works there. Will post an update when we know.

Depending on the computer we're seeing different artifacts. My teammate who's on an Intel Mac is seeing all lights cast an enormous glare (screenshot 1) whereas I'm on an M1 Pro MacBook and I just see ghosting of gameobjects whenever I move plus a weird corrupted part of the screen looking like an EGA monitor.

Intel Mac

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 14.13.02.png

M1 Pro Mac
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 2.13.24 PM.png

I understand this is ultimately on Apple to fix but our customers simply do not care (nor should they, to be honest) so any help in getting to an interim fix would be greatly appreciated.

35. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

The clang fix doesn't fix the separate WebGL graphics regressions in 15.4. I really sympathize with the "customers simply do not care" about where the blame lies. It's infuriating that the platform can break so badly, and your product either works or it doesn't. You can try things like making sure MSAA is not used. You can try WebGL1. But there is a minefield of WebGL graphics bugs in that Safari release. Apple messed up bad, and it affected all WebGL engines out there, Unity in particular because we push on WebGL pretty heavily.

Thaina likes this.
  36. ewajs

ewajs

@brendanduncan_u3d thank you so much for replying. I do understand that you and the Unity team are doing everything you can to push apple for a Fix and providing support and transparency about the situation here in the forums!!

Evidently I misunderstood the fix for a graphics issue fix so I'm sorry for that confusion. I'm left wondering whether all the others just fixed the WASM crash and just have tons of graphic glitches on their applications or if there's something we're doing particularly wrong to experience all of these issues and glitches or if this is just plain bad luck.

The fact that the build behaves perfectly fine in Chrome suggests this is entirely on WebKit but I'm a bit surprised that some people in the thread seem to have had their issues fixed while our project is clearly unusable in this state. (we never saw WASM crashes, with or without the clang fix)

Again, I cannot overstate how thankful I am for the support provided, even if it ultimately doesn't solve our issue at the moment.

37. niesmial

niesmial

Hi,
    we've studied and tried all suggested solutions on this forum thread. Unfortunately nothing worked for us.
    Maybe this workaround will be helpful for someone. We've downgraded our project to Unity 2019 LTS version and it solved all issues with WASP and JS loading errors. The WebGL build works on iOS 15.4 with no issues. We had to create new project in Unity 2019 and manually export/import packages from 2020 LTS to 2019. Unity 2019 has different HTML template so this had to be changed as well but finally this solved all issues on iOS 15.4. Maybe this will help someone. Good luck.

38. chilledbits

chilledbits

For us the clang-optimizations made the game not crash anymore on startup. But we still have strong graphical issues (flickering due to different draw-call-orders from frame to frame). We are a bit fortunate as our game is not released yet - so I can cross my fingers and hope for iOS 15.5
    I know this doesn't help you, just wanted to show that you aren't alone.

39. Vhuantech

Vhuantech

I'm using Unity 2020.3.25f1. The same issue happens.

Same issue happens. Is there any workaround?

40. chilledbits

chilledbits

15.5 Beta 2 is out and still doesn't resolve the UI-Flickering for us :(

xaldin-76 likes this.
  41. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Yeah, I just updated to beta2 too. Frustrating.

42. xaldin-76

xaldin-76

Apple is a joke

unitynosf likes this.
  43. amoliski

amoliski

But does it at least load now, or do you need to do the workarounds from earlier in this thread?

44. unitynosf

unitynosf

I always say this as well. Toy company :))

Anyway - wanted to also add - despite our great success with fixing 15 2D games with approach described in earlier post and while games seem to work just fine - we lost all sound on builds :/ Currently don't know much about that (I had some vacation in between things) - and we're unable to test on 15.2 right now.

Will keep posted here if anything becomes clear.

Also - re 15.5 - if anyone checked - do they load without this .cpp workaround? Thank you.

45. rmgomez

rmgomez

Hello Brendan, we tried everything in this thread and we still having some issues in both Safari Mac M1 and Safari iOS 15+. The game loads correctly in every other browser (ff, chrome) in both platforms.

Unity Version: 2021.2.19f1
    The error we have is different from what's reported here but probably related.
    The game starts and loads fine (before it wasn't loading at all) but when we trigger some particle explosions, the game crashes with the following error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. An error occurred running the Unity content on this page. See your browser JavaScript console for more info. The error was:
    2. RuntimeError: Out of bounds memory access (evaluating 'asm[name].apply(null, arguments)')
    3. <?>.wasm-function[AnimationCurveTpl<float>::Evaluate(float, AnimationCurveTpl<float>::Cache*) const]@[wasm code]
    4. <?>.wasm-function[EvaluateSlow(MinMaxCurve const&, math::_float4 const&, math::_float4 const&)]@[wasm code]
    5. <?>.wasm-function[Evaluate(MinMaxCurve const&, math::_float4 const&, math::_float4 const&)]@[wasm code]
    6. <?>.wasm-function[ParticleSystem::UpdateModulesPreSimulationIncremental(ParticleSystemUpdateData const&, ParticleSystemParticles&, unsigned long, unsigned long, math::_float4 const&, bool)]@[wasm code]
    7. <?>.wasm-function[ParticleSystem::Update1b(ParticleSystemUpdateData&, int)]@[wasm code]
    8. <?>.wasm-function[ParticleSystem::UpdateFunction(ParticleSystemUpdateData*)]@[wasm code]
    9. <?>.wasm-function[ParticleSystem::BeginUpdateAll()]@[wasm code]
    10. <?>.wasm-function[ParticleSystem::InitializeClass()::PreLateUpdateParticleSystemBeginUpdateAllRegistrator::Forward()]@[wasm code]
    11. <?>.wasm-function[ExecutePlayerLoop(NativePlayerLoopSystem*)]@[wasm code]
    12. <?>.wasm-function[ExecutePlayerLoop(NativePlayerLoopSystem*)]@[wasm code]
    13. <?>.wasm-function[MainLoop()]@[wasm code]
    14. <?>.wasm-function[dynCall_v]@[wasm code]
    15. wasm-stub@[wasm code]
    We also found this link with somebody else having the same issue:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71367372/unity-webgl-build-particle-system-error-on-safari

Is it possible that we need to do the proposed fix here but for a different function?

Thanks!!!

46. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

From my tests, 15.5 beta 2 still has the wasm bug, so the fix hasn't been released yet.

xaldin-76 likes this.
  47. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@rmgomez If you're seeing a wasm error that isn't resolved by the temp fix, if you have a minimal repo example, then I can investigate it.

48. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Looks like 15.5 beta 3 still has the error. :-(

De-Panther and Thaina like this.
  49. Thaina

Thaina

Cannot expect the company that delay webpush and webxr for many years to just fix webgl for us

Really hope this company should just bankrupt

50. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

They do have it fixed. They just have their own schedule for pulling WebKit fixes into iOS, and they don't tell anyone what that schedule is.

OceanX000 and De-Panther like this.