Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS 10.0 and Xcode 8 compatibility

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Sep 8, 2016.

1. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@Mantas-Puida I keep seeing the "use Xcode 7.3". Apple has a 7.3 version, but also a 7.3.1. Any difference in compatibility with Unity?

2. arkon

arkon

It doesn't! xcode7.3 won't build a project for a device if it's a IOS 10 device and it forces you to update Xcode to 8.0 to run on the device.

So I have had to update to Xcode 8 but I use unity 4.7 so what is the work around for this problem on Xcode 8 and unity 4.7, I urgently need to release an update to an app that Apple are threatening to remove because it is so old!

3. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

That's odd. I did downgrade to Xcode 7.3.1 and compiled my project to my iOS 10 device. (It's why i asked before if there is any difference with 7.3.1 and 7.3)

4. arkon

arkon

Xcode kept giving me a message something like "unable to load disk image" a search of the web brought up that you need update to Xcode 8 to be able to continue.

I really need a fix for this unity, some of us can't migrate all projects to version 5 and Apple is pulling old apps that don't get updated.

5. fivebits

fivebits

This is actually a bug with iOS 10, it's not Unity-related.

6. fivebits

fivebits

I'm getting this error when compiling a Unity 5.3.5p6 project in Xcode 8 (8A218a). I get the following error when code signing the app:

"/Users/myusername/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-axanizzhrexkmmecenfdnlgmybjx/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/myappname.app: resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed"

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

If you read the thread from beginning you see this one first errors pointed out, solution also given

8. SoerenL

SoerenL

Arkon maybe this can solve your issue:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37945376/use-xcode-7-with-ios-10
    ?

9. fivebits

fivebits

The solution pointed to is not solving my problem. I've followed those steps and it keeps failing. This is also on device, not on simulator like the thread you pointed to states.

10. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

My suggestion was to use Xcode 7.3 for submission. If iOS 10 is the only device you have locally you could copy /Applications/<YOUR_XCODE_8>/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport ios 10 files to /Applications/<YOUR_XCODE_7_3>/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport. This will allow you to deploy apps with Xcode 7.3 to your iOS 10 device.

11. arkon

arkon

I didn't know how to keep 2 versions of Xcode on the machine to do this so I solved the problem a different way. I couldn't #if0 the whole file you mentioned earlier so I deleted all the code inside each function but left any with return parameters to return either zero or null depending on what it expected. Compiled and it worked fine and it's just passed submission.

I would rather not do this post process each time on unity 4.7 so please consider a patch release for 4.7 to address this issue. The advice to go back to Xcode 7.3 is only a short term thing as Apple are sure to force us to 8 soon enough.

12. DobleU

DobleU

• Open Classes/Unity/CameraCapture.mm in generated Xcode project, go to the first line and replace "#if !UNITY_TVOS" and with "#if 0". This will effectively remove camera capture code and you should pass automatic submission check.
    I finally solved the problem, thanks for the information. I'll be waiting for the patch in September !!! :);)

13. adslitw

adslitw

Hey @Mantas-Puida - is a fix expected for the 'kCFRunLoopCommonModes' issue this week? I've had several reports of increased laggy touch controls in iOS10.

14. DonRolph

DonRolph

15. DonRolph

DonRolph

As of Oct 3, it appears that build and play in Unity 5.4.1F1 does nor work properly with Xcode 8 (A218a).

Xcode responds with unity-iphone build completed but no action.

Selecting product/build will build app.

Hitting play button will download and start playing app but results in an error:

> 0x10083d234 <+1484>: b 0x10083d250 ; <+1512> [inlined] GetPrimitiveCount at GfxDeviceMetal.mm:618

0x10083d238 <+1488>: mov x26, x25

unplugging iPhone from Mac seems to resolve issue and App runs but Unity 3D is now hung and requires a force quit. All new data in Unity 3D is now lost.

Much sorrow and anguish.

16. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

For 5.4 it slipped to the next week.
    I'm very interested in touch lag reports. Can you reproduce lag locally?

17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Latest patch release should fix Build & Run issues: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases.
    If your Metal crash is persistent please report a bug.
    Thanks!

18. adslitw

adslitw

Not had a chance to try yet unfortunately. I can say that presses *feel* less responsive, although I'm aware that's not a good metric. For example pressing an NGUI button in iOS 9 shows the pressed state (in my case a color change) immediately, but in 10 you can definitely notice that the state change doesn't always happen immediately. To be honest I assumed that was to be expected without the kCFRunLoopCommonModes 'hack' for 60fps in place?

19. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

No, it's not expected. The kCFRunLoopCommonModes thing was aimed at drawing / swiping apps. And if I interpret responses from some Apple engineer at WWDC we should not need this for iOS 10, to get good touch performance.

20. phoenixrising

phoenixrising

I am trying to get my app uploaded to the ios app store for beta testing. Everything was working great until I upgraded to xcode 8 and I am using unity5.3p6

The app passes validation, and uploads with no problems both through organizer and application loader.

Then within about a minute after the upload finishes, I get an "Your app has changed to Invalid binary" message from itunes connect with no other information and no email from email about the reason why!

When I view the app in itunes connect, there is a red exclamation with the message "This build is invalid."

I have tried many different settings and I have no clue what could be causing this issue.

I have tried turning off compressing the png for the icons, setting all the splash screen images, building for iphone only.

I reverted to xcode 7.3.1 and this fixes the issue.

However, now I cannot make a build for my phone because it is on ios version 10.

21. adslitw

adslitw

Right, OK... I mean, admittedly I can't say with absolute certainty that it is required, but something definitely feels off. Perhaps it's related to the performance regressions in general (any update on that by the way?).

Is the kCFRunLoopCommonModes thing no longer possible in iOS10, or you're just not sure whether to implement it? I.e. when you say it will be fixed in this week's patch do you mean people just won't see the error? Only asking since I've got a bug fix update ready to go but I was going to wait for this week's patch release...

22. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

It's aiming to silence warning only. We are still in investigation how touch performance works in iOS 10.

23. arkon

arkon

Im not sure the touch problem is just IOS10 as since the last couple of patch updates to 5.4 Ive noticed button presses don't always get seen when running my apps in the editor. The button will be seen as it goes into hover mode but when you press it it's not always seen and you have to press it again.

24. r-pedra

r-pedra

Hi @Mantas-Puida ,
    Does anyone noticed a bump in build size since xCode 8 ? Our app was below 100Mb(around 80Mb) limit in xCode 7 and it is now 137Mb at its highest.
    To be sure, we compiled our archive from last version of xCode with xCode 8 and it's resulting with both IPA of the same size.
    The problem is that we are using OneSignal and we can't downgrade to xCode 7 because it doesn't support it.
    Has someone noticed this increase in build size? (We were already using bitcode before with xCode 7)

We used unzip -lv to see what weigth the most, here is the results:

Our game on v1.15 with xcode 8 and bitcode enabled:

Code (CSharp):
    Our game on v1.14 with xCode 8 with bitcode enabled:
    Code (CSharp):
    Our game on v1.15 with xCode 8, bitcode disabled:

Code (CSharp):
    Our game on v1.14 with xCode 7, bitcode enabled:

Code (CSharp):

Can someone help? We don't really want to submit without bitcode because we are working hard to have access to a featuring with Apple and we think that without bitcode we won't be able to have it.

Thank you.

PS: As you can see, first build and last build are about the same size of IPA, and both build with bitcode but different versions of xcode and they have different sizes in iTunes Connect

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  25. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

That's quite strange, according to IPA content Xcode 7 builds seem to be bit bigger, while iTunes Connect is reporting Xcode 8 ones as bigger.
    Maybe segment layout in app binary has changed. Could you run
    Code (csharp):
    1. otool -l <your_main_binary>
    against Xcode 8 binary (Payload/OurApp.app/OurApp) with bitcode enabled and compare it against Xcode 7 binary?

26. r-pedra

r-pedra

Hope it will help solve this mistery.

Xcode 8 report with bitcode:
    Code (CSharp):
    Xcode 7 with bitcode :
    Code (CSharp):

27. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I did a bit of analysis there and it turns out that while doing IPA export for App Store, Xcode 8 is not including locally built machine code at all. It relies on bitcode being translated to machine code on server side. Probably some build time code size optimizations are being lost in the process.
    Could you please submit bugreport to Apple (http://bugreport.apple.com) and report it as Xcode 8 regression? Also if you would share your radar number + title, I could reach our Apple contacts to get their attention.
    Meanwhile I will continue investigation if this can be disabled without disabling bitcode completely from submission.

28. r-pedra

r-pedra

Hi @Mantas-Puida , tahnks for looking at this bug in details, we will report it next monday when I get back to the office. What is radar number? I suppose title is the name of our app?

29. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Apple is calling their bugreports as "radars". All I need your Apple bugreport number + title/subject line of that report.

30. r-pedra

r-pedra

Here is the radar number : 28913443 and the title "Build size increased since xCode 8 with bitcode enabled"

31. gsynuh

gsynuh

I've tried building my project with unity 5.4.2f2 and xcode 8 and uploaded it,

I've received the following error message :

This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

I'm pretty sure nothing in my project is using this feature, is unity forcing this on me?

Anyway I've added this entry with some non empty string which makes no sense as I have to justify using a feature I'm not actually using.

32. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Unity does not use Photo library, so it's probably some of 3rd party plugins. Are you using something like Prime31 Etcetera plugin?

33. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

Hi @Mantas-Puida, working with gsynuh indeed with use Prime31 Etcetera plugin, but inside our app nothing related to Camera.

34. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Camera usage is managed by Unity. It will remove Camera usage if your scripts are not using it, otherwise you need to provide Camera usage description in Player Settings. Only latest Unity versions have this kind of automation, please check first post on this thread.

35. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

I certainly missed something but I don't see what are the different options I could provide. I should be a list picker?

36. dimitroff

dimitroff

There is something really weird going on with the Archive sizes. One day I got a 350MB Archive and after couple of days without any significant changes I got 650MB.

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.26.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.27.03 AM.png

The difference in size comes from the Executable found in Products/Applications/App/. And I could not understand what exactly adds to this.

I am using Xcode8, Unity 5.4.2p1, macOS Sierra

UPDATE:

Using "otool" I was able to find that the extra 300 mb comes from two segments for armv7 and arm64, "segname __LLVM", their size is 150mb each. These segments are missing in the archive that is normal filesize. Any idea where these are coming from?

UPDATE 2:
    To answer my own question here, the size bump is due to Bitcode being enabled. I will still keep this here though, if somebody is wondering. I will report, if there is a difference in what Apple will report as a download size, when uploaded to iTunes Connect.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  37. r-pedra

r-pedra

You will have a surprise. Watch what I said earlier, and tell us if you have the same behaviour.

38. UrsHanselmann

UrsHanselmann

We are also experiencing some really weird build size related issues...

Just a week ago we submitted the same app already with Unity 5.4.2f1. Back then already it took forever to upload the whole thing (compile with Xcode 7.3, then export as IPA and upload with Application Loader - since uploading in Xcode 7.3 directly always failed).

Now one week later our build is suddenly twice the size (going through exactly the same upload routine):
    Pasted image at 2016_10_28 14_17.png
    For comparison the old build (same Unity Version - only changes were a few new assets and a few library upgrades):
    Pasted image at 2016_10_28 14_17 (1).png
    I have tried now for almost 12 hours to track down what caused this explosion in binary size, step by step reverting the applied library changes, only to now discover that checking out the exact same revision from one week ago now suddenly produces this:

Screenshot of Safari (28-10-2016, 16-12-11).png Just to clarify this again: this is the exact same project now again (only the build version changed), compiled with the same Unity version (5.4.2f2), uploaded through the same steps (exported in Xcode 7.3 as IPA, uploaded through Application Loader).

I guess my next step will be to try building the latest version with Xcode 8 and comparing that, but after 12 hours of painful trial and error just do discover this thread afterwards, I have just had enough of watching painfully slow IL2CPP compile processes for a while...

39. r-pedra

r-pedra

Apple replied to our bug report, asking for binaries to do some analysis.
    I was not a the office today, so I was not able to give them the binaries but I think we will have an answer soon.

40. 00christian00

00christian00

Saw that it's finally available, cool!
    I just tested it, is the live camera supposed to be working in 5.4.2 p2?Cause it isn't for me, it's not even asking the permission and I did add the privacy thing on info.plist.
    Also I saw ShowCameraPreviewAt isn't in the 5.5 doc anymore.
    For reference this mobcrush example works fine on my iphone 6:
    https://github.com/Mobcrush/ReplayKitDemo

41. 00christian00

00christian00

So I thought It was my misconfiguration but turn out you did omit asking the permissions for mic and camera. The mobcrush call this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [[AVAudioSession sharedInstance] requestRecordPermission: ^(BOOL granted){
    2. }];
    Which you don't in your code, hence why the mic and camera don't start.

Edit:
    It seem the above code is required for mic but doesn't authorize cam.
    The problem with cam was that if you call StartBroadcasting like the docs, it override the camera and mic settings, so either don't set them inside StartBroadcasting or make the other read only.

I also reported a bug where replaykit crash on mono if you exit the broadcast partner ui without starting the broadcast. Doesn't crash on IL2CPP.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  42. BlueSpirit

BlueSpirit

Can you tell me if this is a confirmed fix? Also, I'm using 5.3.4f1 at the moment. Is there perhaps a short code snippet or something that fixes this? Thanks!

43. NiklasDanz

NiklasDanz

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Unity Development and I need to run a VR application I build in Unity on my iPhone. Apparently there seem to be quite lots of issues with that. To start clean, I created a new project and added the Google Cardboard package to it, then selected the demo scene that comes with it and build the scene for iOS. Now when I open the XCode project and run it on my iPhone, I get an error from the metal framework (as well as tons of warnings by Apple Mach-O-Linker) and my app crashes. After disconnection my phone from the mac, the app runs fine.
    I'm using the latest patch of Unity (5.3.7p1), the latest public release of XCode and iOS 10.1 on my phone.

Thanks for your support!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  44. Yaukey

Yaukey

My app got a ios10 crash when build with xcode8.1(I also tried with xcode 7.3.1, the same thing happened), used unity of 5.3.6p6, install on ios10:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Thread 34 name:  BackgroundWorker
    2. Thread 34 Crashed:
    3. 0   GunDam                            0x000000010197e89c il2cpp::vm::StackTrace::GetStackFrames() (vector:368)
    4. 1   GunDam                            0x000000010197e898 il2cpp::vm::StackTrace::GetStackFrames() (StackTrace.cpp:31)
    5. 2   GunDam                            0x000000010196c87c il2cpp::vm::Exception::Raise(Il2CppException*) (Exception.cpp:30)
    6. 3   GunDam                            0x000000010196c96c il2cpp::vm::Exception::RaiseCOMException(int, char const*) (Exception.cpp:60)
    7. 4   GunDam                            0x0000000100d825a4 Thread_get_CurrentThreadId_m2144499364 (il2cpp-codegen.h:739)
    8. 5   GunDam                            0x0000000100d82018 ReaderWriterLock_AcquireReaderLock_m31397190 (Bulk_mscorlib_7.cpp:47562)
    9. 6   GunDam                            0x00000001003ba324 Logger_CallAppenders_m3949174878 (AssemblyU2DCSharp_log4net_Repository_Hierarchy_Log2812463282.h:93)
    10. 7   GunDam                            0x00000001003b9df0 Logger_Log_m4198657008 (Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_6.cpp:11807)
    11. 8   GunDam                            0x0000000100f2c838 RuntimeInvoker_Void_t2863195528_Il2CppObject_Il2CppObject_Int32_t1153838500_SByte_t1161769777(MethodInfo const*, void*, void**) (Il2CppInvokerTable.cpp:3885)
    12. 9   GunDam                            0x000000010197c9d8 il2cpp::vm::Runtime::Invoke(MethodInfo const*, void*, void**, Il2CppException**) (Runtime.cpp:352)
    13. 10  GunDam                            0x000000010117db44 ScriptingInvocation::Invoke(ScriptingException**, bool) (ScriptingInvocation.cpp:191)
    14. 11  GunDam                            0x000000010146ddb0 LogCallbackImplementation(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, int, bool) (UnityEngineApplicationBindings.gen.cpp:623)
    15. 12  GunDam                            0x00000001011e3f00 DebugStringToFilePostprocessedStacktrace(char const*, char const*, char const*, int, char const*, int, int, int, int, void (*)(CppLogEntry const&)) (CallbackArray.h:130)
    16. 13  GunDam                            0x00000001011e3ce0 DebugStringToFile(char const*, int, char const*, int, int, int, int, void (*)(CppLogEntry const&)) (LogAssert.cpp:1160)
    17. 14  GunDam                            0x00000001011d5c60 ArchiveStorageReader::MakeStorageUsed() (LogAssert.h:125)
    18. 15  GunDam                            0x00000001011d5a20 ArchiveStorageReader::Initialize(FileSystemEntry&, unsigned long long) (ArchiveStorageReader.cpp:59)
    19. 16  GunDam                            0x00000001011d59a4 ArchiveStorageReader::Initialize(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long) (ArchiveStorageReader.cpp:51)
    20. 17  GunDam                            0x0000000100fa2d50 AssetBundleLoadFromAsyncOperation::InitializeAssetBundleStorage(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long) (AssetBundleLoadFromAsyncOperation.cpp:83)
    21. 18  GunDam                            0x0000000100fa3730 AssetBundleLoadFromFileAsyncOperation::LoadArchiveJob(void*) (AssetBundleLoadFromFileAsyncOperation.cpp:33)
    22. 19  GunDam                            0x0000000101054ee4 JobQueue::Exec(JobInfo*, long long, int) (JobQueue.cpp:356)
    23. 20  GunDam                            0x0000000101054e54 JobQueue::Steal(JobGroup*, JobInfo*, long long, int, bool) (JobQueue.cpp:563)
    24. 21  GunDam                            0x0000000101055228 JobQueue::ExecuteJobFromQueue() (JobQueue.cpp:726)
    25. 22  GunDam                            0x0000000101055358 JobQueue::ProcessJobs(void*, bool*) (JobQueue.cpp:806)
    26. 23  GunDam                            0x0000000101054930 JobQueue::WorkLoop(void*) (JobQueue.cpp:871)
    27. 24  GunDam                            0x00000001011c8a64 Thread::RunThreadWrapper(void*) (Thread.cpp:40)
    28. 25  libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x00000001875cc850 _pthread_body + 240
    29. 26  libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x00000001875cc760 _pthread_body + 0
    30. 27  libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x00000001875c9dac thread_start + 4
    it seems like a multi-thread conflict caused by Log4Net plugin who is trying to write log in background. it happens very frenquently but not always.
    ios9 device just fine.

Does anyone else get this problem?

Attached Files:

45. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Afaik Google Cardboard doesn't support Metal and you should switch to GLES in Player Settings by unchecking "Auto graphics API checkbox" and moving GLES to top.

46. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bugreport!

47. NiklasDanz

NiklasDanz

I tried to switch but now all the Apple-Mach-O-Linker warnings turned into errors and I can't compile. :/
    Also I found out Cardboard does support Metal since last year. Don't know what's wrong with it in my case...

48. NiklasDanz

NiklasDanz

Can you help me with this issue, or do I need to go to some Cardboard related forum? I need to get this working in the next days.

49. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Graphics API switch shouldn't change any linking dependencies. Could it be that project was corrupted due other reasons? Are you replacing or appending project when building from Unity?

50. NiklasDanz

NiklasDanz

I usually replace the previous XCode Projects when building. However the issue also applies to brand new projects with only one scene containing only a box and the default Cardboard components provided by Google.

EDIT: Reported a bug and recived an answer that this error is already known and a temporary solution can be found under this thread: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...pth-texture-when-a-16-bit-texture-is-expected
    I tried it (disabling Metal verification) and it worked for me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016