Search Unity

iOS 10.0 and Xcode 8 compatibility

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Danguru

Danguru

My build stucks on BLUE screen - Xcode 8 , IOS 10

2. jason_yak

jason_yak

Does anyone know how to find your Team ID, the iOS dev portals has been recently reorganised and the old account summary is know where to be found.

3. jason_yak

jason_yak

4. adslitw

adslitw

@Mantas-Puida still hoping to do a patch release tomorrow? Any idea what will / won't be included - interested to hear whether you've had any performance regressions on the 7/7+.

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. adslitw

adslitw

I'm using a video recording plugin (iVidCapPro) which seems to be really struggling on the iPhone 7 - see screenshot, to the right of the selection is the iPhone 7. It seems to be Graphics.Blit which is taking up the time, could that be related to the renderer (also in screenshot)...

Edit: And if I totally remove the plugin and switch to metal, Gfx.WaitForPresent is all over the place!

Edit 2: Final data point. This time with trusty GLES2, on the left is the iPhone 7 (on the right the iPhone 6+). This time it's MeshSkinning.Render which is going bananas.

Is there anything I can do to help you guys? Or anything I could possibly do myself that you can think of? I have a hard launch date of next Thursday (29th) and I really wasn't expecting the iPhone 7/+ to throw such a big spanner in the works!

Final edit: If i enable the iVidCapPro recording MeshSkinning.Render drops back to sane levels (but Graphics.Blit goes haywire). Color me incredibly stressed and confused.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. SoerenL

SoerenL

Can't get flashlight (torch) to work in iOS 10 (tried Xcode7.3.1 and Xcode8, Unity 5.4.1p1). Worked in iOS 9.

7. JuJuCoder

JuJuCoder

We need unity 4 patch too.

8. WHKS

WHKS

what about realtime shadows nothing is working for me here

9. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

You mean they stopped working once you updated to Xcode8 and ios10?

10. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

If your app is not using WebCamTexture you have three options:
    a) edit Xcode project in the way described on the first post in this thread or
    b) wait for 5.4.1p2, which will ship this week (Wed-Thu) or
    c) use Xcode 7.3 for submission

11. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Typical reason why people don't see runtime shadows on device is wrong QualitySetting being activated on device. Could you please doublecheck that QualitySetting you activate has shadows enabled?

12. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@Mantas-Puida I know UnityAds have a forum, but it does have to do with ios10 and xcode8. Is there any ETA, even an indicative one for making them work with xcode and ios10?

13. the-Grumbleputty

the-Grumbleputty

My issue is that Unity 5.4.1 is freezing on the "Building Player" dialogue when building my IOS project. The program is clearly still running (I can select other windows and menu items, most of which are greyed out)- it's just frozen on that step of the export process.

If I create a new project under the "Build and Run" dialogue, a new project will be created and opened in XCode, but Unity will hang. If I save over an existing project, a few files will be updated but the xcode project won't- and Unity will still hang.

Is anyone else experiencing this? is there a work-around I'm missing ?

Project was built in 5.3.4 and imported into 5.4.0, Xcode and IOS are current as of yesterday afternoon, which is when everything started acting up

screenCap_crash.jpg

14. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Tried using "Build" instead and then go to the build folder and select the Xcode file? (And build - install through Xcode)

the-Grumbleputty likes this.
  15. the-Grumbleputty

the-Grumbleputty

Good idea, thanks very much!! That appears to be a good work-around until whatever needs patching gets patched so it can XCode, IOS and Unity can all work together again.

16. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Tomorrows patch only addresses submission issues when application is not using camera.
    Today our support received repro case for iPhone 7 performance drop. Was it you who provided that repro?

17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Are you on public 5.4.1f1 or patch release 5.4.1p1? Only the later will have all Xcode 8 Build & Run fixes.

aardvarkk and the-Grumbleputty like this.
  18. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bugreport and share your case number.
    Thanks!

19. adslitw

adslitw

@Mantas-Puida it was yep - although it's a very simple 'look at the difference in the profiler' type repro.

Ok thanks for letting me know. I've since updated my iPhone 6S+ device to iOS10 and have noticed performance regressions there as well - looking like I might have delay my launch. I'm curious about the mention of Metal in the renderer, e.g. 'OpenGL ES 3.0 Metal - 33' - is there a non-metal variant available for example? (totally clutching at straws here).

20. the-Grumbleputty

the-Grumbleputty

I'm on f1, which probably explains it

-EDIT installed 5.4.1p1, everything works as it should with Xcode. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  21. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We did extensive testing with your project and can confirm that some framerate instabilities exist. iPhone 7 seems to be worst of the crop, in general iOS 10 is worse than iOS 9, but it also depends on device. For Metal most of the instabilities are coming from nextDrawable call, which requests rendering texture for next frame. Usually it's sign of GPU being busy, but in your simplified scene it's quite clear it's not the case. At the moment we suspect it's caused by device power management and will be reaching Apple for further clarifications.
    Regarding driver name like 'OpenGL ES 3.0 Metal - 33' it probably means that Apple implemented GLES drivers on top of Metal drivers.

MrEsquire and PixelEnvision like this.
  22. adslitw

adslitw

OK, thanks for letting me know.

23. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

What exactly is not working in UnityAds with Xcode 8?

24. MetaObjectData

MetaObjectData

UnityAds (both 1.x and 2.x) do not work at all when limited ad tracking is enabled from device settings on iOS10. It's not related to Xcode8 though.

25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I just hope we get a patch today!

26. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

UnityAds solution for this issue is in the works. Hopefully it will be ready within days.

27. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Patch releases typically take 1-2 days to publish. So it might end up in downloads page next day.

28. gecko

gecko

Confirmed that with builds from 4.7.2, iTunesConnect rejects the app due to the NSCameraUsageDescription issue. My project is stuck on 4.7 so the #if !UNITY_TVOS fix doesn't apply. What am I supposed to do?

29. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Xcode 7.3 should work just fine.

30. desarrollori

desarrollori

Hello how resolve this problem whit the texture??

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Metal/Metal-85.83/ToolsLayers/Debug/MTLDebugRenderCommandEncoder.mm:950: failed assertion `For color attachment 0, the renderPipelineState pixelFormat must be MTLPixelFormatInvalid, as no texture is set.'

Attached Files:

31. gecko

gecko

Ah, thanks. I didn't even realize I'd somehow gotten xcode 8. And then I thought I couldn't downgrade (wasn't that the case some years ago?). Anyways, new build uploaded to iTunesConnect and no problems so far. Thanks!

32. PeterPequeno

PeterPequeno

Any news on the NotificationServices.RegisterForNotification(flags, true) and the DeviceToken always being null?

33. adslitw

adslitw

Just double checking that the kCFRunLoopCommonModes issue wasn't fixed in the latest patch?

PagodaWestGames likes this.
  34. hutch_jl

hutch_jl

tvOS builds with xcode 8 seem to need an additional "wide" top shelf image of dimensions 2320px x 720px, which isn't exposed in Unity from the looks? Is this coming?

jason_yak likes this.
  35. artysta

artysta

I have both installed, there's instructions on the net to explain how to, it works fine for me but I don't use Build & Run, just Build.

36. el_wallaby

el_wallaby

I had luck changing a setting under the iOS Player Settings to fix this issue. It involves changing the Graphics API from Metal to OpenGLES2.
    1. Go to File > Build Settings > iOS > Player Settings
    2. In Other Settings uncheck Auto Graphics API
    3. A list will appear that should contain Metal then OpenGLES2. Reorder the list so that OpenGLES2 is on top. (FWIW I completely removed Metal from the list, but I don't think this is necessary)
    4. Try building and running your app from Xcode and hopefully it will work

37. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

I am currently trying to set up continuous integration, and in order to properly code sign my iOS app I have to automatically disable automatic code signing. This requires me to set the "ProvisioningStyle" to "Manual" instead of "Automatic". However, as per default, the generated Xcode project Unity creates does not contain this in its project.pbxproj file. If I manually open the Xcode project and manipulates the "Automatically manage signing" toggle, ProvisioningStyle appears in the file.

How would I go about this, if I wish to add this from script? I have already created some post processing scripts to handle modification to the .plist file, but I am not sure how I would go about adding this line to the pbxproj file.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  38. jason_yak

jason_yak

^ I just came to this thread to post the same question. Thanks in advance =)

MrEsquire likes this.
  39. User340

User340

Anyone know what's going on with OpenGL ES 3 in iOS 10? We're having user reports of characters (skinned mesh renderers) being completely invisible. Switching to Metal fixes it. Are you still supporting/improving OpenGL ES 3?

40. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Isn't OpenGL ES3 implemented by apple on top of Metal?

41. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please report a bug for it.
    Thanks!

42. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please report a bug for it.
    Thanks!

43. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Fix is on the way. Expected to ship in next weeks patch release.

44. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please bugreport it.
    Thanks!

45. PagodaWestGames

PagodaWestGames

@Mantas-Puida I'm following up on @adslitw question about the kCFRunLoopCommonModes ... do you know if it will be in next week's patch?

We're having same issue.

46. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Yes, fingers crossed :)

This warning can be disabled by editing Classes/UnityAppController+Rendering.mm and replacing
    Code (csharp):
    1. #define ENABLE_RUNLOOP_ACCEPT_INPUT 1
    with
    Code (csharp):
    1. #define ENABLE_RUNLOOP_ACCEPT_INPUT 0

PagodaWestGames likes this.
  47. PagodaWestGames

PagodaWestGames

Thanks @Mantas-Puida - we have tried that and it doesn't seem to be working.

48. JesterMaster

JesterMaster

Is there any hope to get unity 4 update. I have made ios game and it is ready to release and it is impossible to switch my game to unity 5.

49. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Just keep using Xcode 7.3 and you will be fine.

50. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

That's quite strange, as it works fine for me.. Could you doublecheck your change is still there and you still see that warning?