Search Unity

[IOH] Occulsion System (Instant Dynamic Occulsion Culling)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by laakerules, Jan 5, 2013.

1. laakerules

laakerules

[IOH] Occlusion System

[IOH] Occlusion on Asset store

Version 1.3: Now on the asset store, it has some minor updates to improve performance, i also removed unneeded code, unneeded methods, and added a wayyy better dynamic system so that it works in tiers and so on. Basically makes the system work wayyy better.

Liscense: Use it on whatever you want, its 100% my code and 100% yours. Dont resell my code, you can use it in a game though.

Imagine a world where everything you see, is all that exists!

Well now you are able to do it with simple ease! All it takes is dragging a prefab into any scene and Violà Instant Occlusion Culling is ready to go! No need to pre bake or place your objects in a grid or have your objects pre-set to do the culling, and with the easy interface editor you can change all the correct data to your likings. And now its coming to the asset store for only $10!

WORKS ON ANY LICENCE AND ANY PLATFORM!!!

Contact me if you have any problems; I will fix it within 24 hours.

Current Features:
    • Instant Dynamic No Bake Occlusion Culling with EASE
    • Fixed as much as possible for flickering based on your input wanted through the super easy custom settings on it.

Future Updates:
    • Custom Dynamic LOD that works without any pre-set stuff and without baking of any sort
    • Always Strive to get it to preform better and with more ease

Revisions:
    • 1.0 - START, Initial release

Media:
    I know, i spelt it wrong in the pic, my bad! -.-

Webplayer: WORKING WEBPLAYER
    Webplayer: Normal Map instead of 10k random objects generated.

Notice: The lag in the web player near the beginning is because it is going through 10k objects and checking them for ability to be occled, that wont happen in nearly any other level made with it since I doubt you are going to have 10k objects in a small space all jumbled together. Also the flickering is not really flickering its just seeing the objects for the first time. The only time it flickers is when you move the screen around alot really fast and look off into the distance, we are currently working on a fix for that. The press P to pause only works in the editor and test scene from the asset store.

Warning: If you have crappy models and very few models in total like this

then this package is most likely not for you, but if you want to have lots of models like this

then this package will make your game run a hella lot smoother and faster.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. elias_t

elias_t

The webplayer crashes chrome and firefox ...

Other then that it seems promissing.

3. laakerules

laakerules

It does? :O

It will lag for around 7 seconds when it is loading all the 10k objects up. other than that iut shouldnt crash it.

4. Prestige

Prestige

Works fine for me in chrome. Excellent work Laake :)

5. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yep, completely crashed my Firefox too. It just hang there and plus Unity Error Console.

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

crash too

7. laakerules

laakerules

Edit: Got the webplayer working. It was the obfuscation technique i was using.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. augasur

augasur

Does this work with unity basic(free ) and android basic?

9. reddotgames

reddotgames

look nice but objects popup/flicer frame after you should see it

10. fholm

fholm

serious amounts of popping and flicker going on there.

11. kenlem

kenlem

WOW! The previous web player crashed my mac. I had to restart. That's pretty rare.

12. laakerules

laakerules

Lol the popping and flickering only happens when you have alot of objects far off in the distance and look around hella fast, in a normal game it wont do that.

Should i make a small city with buildings around as a scene of normal?

And yeah sorry the previous webplayer had some janked up obfuscation methods that unity couldnt understand sometimes.

Edit: Added another webplayer of a more normal map rather then 10k objects all jumbled together, and in the system you can change variables that will allow a little less fps but more calls to stop the little slight flicker every once in a while

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  13. elias_t

elias_t

Right. Much better now. The city map you posted has almost zero flickering. (And works much better then the other solution I saw in another thread).

Can you tell us what the overhead is?

Also it would be good to add an option to allow an x amount of time to pass until an object gets occluded. I believe that this would minimize the popping.

14. laakerules

laakerules

Overhead? what do you mean by that?

And in unity i have made the editor quite nice to customize the way it works to get the perfect workflow for your game, but as soon as im done with some networking stuff ill add a gui system to change the values, probably tomorow around 11am pst

15. elias_t

elias_t

I mean what is the cost in milliseconds for calculating the occlusion in realtime.

16. laakerules

laakerules

On my computer it usually takes about 7-8 miliseconds, but im currently working on the optimization to make it run faster and smoother with less of any little glitches.

17. Prestige

Prestige

It takes approximately 3 to 4 milliseconds on my computer, but I suppose the processor would determine the exact time. I have an AMD Turion Dual Core Processor.

18. imtrobin

imtrobin

I actually do have a project that has 10k object. Just to ask, does the occlusion support dynamic objects, eg, a door opening/closing. I suppose it would only work on solid walls, how about things like windows?

19. laakerules

laakerules

Yes it supports dynamic objects, and you have 10k highpoly objects that are jumbled in a little little little little little tiny area?

If you have objects that come into the scene at random times like say an object dropped it will work with that also.

20. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Seem very interesting...could you add a fps counter and a pause system that works on webplayer to best try and compare the performance?

21. immFX

immFX

This looks genious - in fact, so much so that I still hesitate to believe it's just a drop-a-prefab-and-voila case.
    So, can you give us an insight of how it works without bake?

22. laakerules

laakerules

Yeah I will add that today since I have nothing else on my agenda.

"So, can you give us an insight of how it works without bake?"

It proccesses all of the GameObjects in the scene and through a simple set of checks (That you can customize by adding tags to a list that you want it to skip, and it skips character controllers) and sequences will determine which objects need to be occuled. Then if the object is in the view of the camera it allows it to render if the object isnt hidden behind anything, While the rest hide themselves.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  23. immFX

immFX

So, how do you determine what needs to be occluded?
    Do you raycast every second?
    How much fps-hungry is your method?

24. Ravart

Ravart

Really good work there!

I'm curious what information you are using to calculate the Occulsion Culling?

25. laakerules

laakerules

Well with the settings that i have implemented into my methods to allow major customization based on your scene you can make it either occlude quickly if you have alot of objects set up all over but if you have a few objects then it will occlude with less fps it all depends on your settings that you choose for it to work with.

26. Ecocide

Ecocide

Very cool, I will definitely purchase this in order to try it. The demo looks good, just how OC should work.

When will it be on the asset store?

27. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I'm looking forward to this also

28. laakerules

laakerules

Im waiting for a response from the asset store as we type. I submitted it on monday.

29. Ravart

Ravart

What is your Unity Version laakerules

30. laakerules

laakerules

Sorry i was on a trip over the weekend, its 4.0 r7 I think, pro trial on my windows parton.

31. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Any update on this being released?

32. laakerules

laakerules

Still waiting for a reply from the asset store, there taking a longgg time. Kinda makes me wonder if they really mean within a week.

33. sleglik

sleglik

Can you sell it directly?

34. laakerules

laakerules

Well I dont feel like writting up a whole php mysql system to sell it without having open end urls for everyone to dl it. But if the stupid unity Asset Store doesnt respond by this weekend im going to set up that system.

35. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Please do because I'm ready to buy this asap.

36. laakerules

laakerules

Lol, ill start on it tomorrow when I come to a brainfaurt on my game. But seriously unity asset store said 1 week, its been a week and 5 days :p

37. sleglik

sleglik

You don´t need some MY sql system. Paypal and some web storage. When customer will send you money you will give him download link. I am using this all the time and no problem....
    But please do that :)

38. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'd like to get this however i'll only purchase it from the asset store, not from a third party website.

39. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Edit: sorry but maybe I bought another tool with same name ( o almost) and same functionality (also same sample scene architecture)

my wrong comment to this tool:
    ---
    Just purchased! (Asset Store)...
    --

sorry again!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  40. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Please post your feedback regarding the 'super heavy projects', I would like to hear your views.

- Matt.

41. laakerules

laakerules

Lol to the 2 posts above, no worries. i saw your post on his too! :p

And to the post above, the one he is talking about is the Instant Dynamic Occlusion Culling which requires prior setup for each object along with certain camera layers, also a good one and 5$ more than mine, i have to go work for a neighboor ill be back in an hour or so and start working on a simple third party system, and i also emailed the asset store telling them to put it up or at least respond to me, and i will be submitting it for 3.5.x soon also as rite now its only submitted for 4.0

42. angel_m

angel_m

Then your system don't require previous setup on each object?
    If that is the case I will wait for your system because my project have a lot of objects.

43. Lims

Lims

When you get some info on this, let us know. I think a few people are curious to know when it'll be available. :)

44. laakerules

laakerules

Yes, if you want it to not occlude objects then theres script to put on it, if it has certain tags it wont, and if it has a character controller it wont, easy to change with simple script editing though. and if you have it dynamic and objects adding then you just find the occlusion object, then find the script, then do refreshObjects();

Extremely simple, and im making a 3rd party system that uses paypal and emails the object to you once purchased, still waiting for reply from unity ass-et store.

45. sleglik

sleglik

Anything new about release? I really want to test it....

46. Lims

Lims

Nothing on this? I guess it didn't get approved?

47. laakerules

laakerules

No its still waiting, i had a free ferrari model in it and they said since the ferrari wasnt made by me i couldnt have it in there! -.- so im redoing the package and test scenes.

48. laakerules

laakerules

Asset store is impossible to work with, first it was a bad big image next it was no response, third time it was because i had a free online car model as an asset, took that out then they wanted me to put a model in for the test scene, so i give up damnit, here it is for free check the op attachments!

49. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well while they're right to refuse it in both case, they could definately have noted both at the same time to save you time :( It's too bad because it's not the first time i see an asset get refused that had potential and end up released it for free wich is a lose lose lose win situation really

Asset store loss : 1 less product to showcase 1 less to make cash
    Asset provider loss : No money for their work
    Company client : Free but can't really use it because "here, it's free" is quite a bit less legaly sound as the asset store licence (you could fix it by releasing it the code as MIT licence for exemple), would have rather paid get support
    Non pro hobbyist : Happy because he got it free

I think it would go a long way if the standard answer (for non obvious junk) went from "no thanks", to "no thanks, but could we have a skype meeting to help you fit our criterias? We'd really like to help you get on the store"

50. laakerules

laakerules

Yeah, but there issue was the test scene, i used a free ferari off the internet since its a nice high poly model, and since i DONT MODEL i cant make a model worth bieng used in the occlusion system i couldnt make one for the test scene so they decided to decline it on the case that it had no test scene, how am i supposed to have a test scene with no models? the best i could polly do is like a brick wall with red texture and white spray painted on it lol.

Edit: and if you have trouble with it just pm or email me. ill help anyone.