Search Unity

Unity Invitation to try out Unity Safe Mode

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by MartinGram, Jul 3, 2020.

1. _slash_

_slash_

Hi - Is there a way to manually open a project in Safe Mode?

2. volblob73

volblob73

Unity Technologies

Hi @_slash_, no Safe Mode is only available, if there is compilation error at project open.

_slash_ likes this.
  3. stuksgens

stuksgens

Telling my first experience with SAFE-MODE

Yesterday I migrated my HDRP project from version 2020.1 to 2020.2 beta, due to the new Features ... So, I already knew that I should fix several errors as soon as the project opened, however, safe mode went into operation right away.

Be surprised by this, but the fact is that it helped me a lot when I migrated from version, it certainly saved me hours of work, since in a few minutes (less than 10 minutes) I had already fixed all the script problems and in project, and it was already 100% functional again (except for the SRP that I had to update the materials on, but I can't win them all:p)

So for me, it is very practical and excellent because of its ease of operation...
    And as this was practical in my case, I really liked it :D

4. VolodymyrBS

VolodymyrBS

Hi! I just try safe mode and have a small question.
    is it possible to run some code before compiler?
    On previous Unity versions code in precompiled assemblies marked with InitializeOnLoad could be run before compiler.
    Looks like this code runs only after compilation now.

mob-sakai and Karashi-shiki like this.
  5. volblob73

volblob73

Unity Technologies

Hi. At startup it isn't possible to run user code before compilation, if compilation is needed. It is correct that before 2019.3 that Unity at startup would load domain with user assemblies before compilation, even though if there were new scripts. This was considered a problematic and therefore the order was changed.

6. vaclav_b

vaclav_b

Any plans on allowing for execution of user code in Safe Mode? Our company has custom package manager that downloads big parts of common code base when projects are downloaded from repositories and imported for the first time. Without ability to execute cusom code in safe mode we will be unable to use it.

7. rosen_rusinov

rosen_rusinov

I see that the Know Issues no longer contains that updating a Package can force a project re-import, but that Just happened to me while updating a Unity Package (Code Coverage) in Safe Mode with 2020.3.3f1.

Update:
    After waiting for 20 mins for the importing, the Editor just crashed with no Send Report dialogue.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
unityunity