Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Invisible Shadow Receiver with HDRP ?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by manutoo, Aug 16, 2019.

1. manutoo

manutoo

Hello,

is it possible to create a shader for HDRP which would receive shadows normally but except that would be totally invisible ?

In Unity 5.6, I was able to accomplish that with a version of the shader shown here : https://forum.unity.com/threads/matte-shadow.14438/ .

Thanks in advance for any tip ! :)

fcorbel likes this.
  2. manutoo

manutoo

No.

I used some kind of trick to get a very dim shadow, which was barely visible.

I forgot how I did that (maybe it was a transparent glass with some smoothness?), and now I switched back to the built-in renderer... :)

3. max_coding13

max_coding13

Ah, I did figure out last night how to get it to work in HDRP if you're interested. You have to make an Unlit HDRP shader graph and in the properties tick off the "Shadow Matte" option, and switch it to transparent. That should do the functionality that you want.

fuzzy3d and manutoo like this.
  4. manutoo

manutoo

Thanks for the tip ! :)

I'm 90% sure it was not there when I was trying the HDRP, so it's good to know they added it.

Now, if they could significantly boost the performances, that'd be great.

max_coding13 likes this.