Search Unity

1. Curious about what's going to be in 2020.1? Have a look at the 2020.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want to see 2020.1b in action? Sign up for our Beta 2020.1 Overview Webinar on April 20th for a live presentation from our evangelists and a Q&A session with guests from R&D.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Interested in giving us feedback? Join our online research interviews on a broad range of topics and share your insights with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Invisible Shadow Receiver with HDRP ?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by manutoo, Aug 16, 2019.

1. manutoo

manutoo

Hello,

is it possible to create a shader for HDRP which would receive shadows normally but except that would be totally invisible ?

In Unity 5.6, I was able to accomplish that with a version of the shader shown here : https://forum.unity.com/threads/matte-shadow.14438/ .

Thanks in advance for any tip ! :)

fcorbel likes this.
  2. mslong

mslong

Did you ever figure this out?

3. manutoo

manutoo

No.

I used some kind of trick to get a very dim shadow, which was barely visible.

I forgot how I did that (maybe it was a transparent glass with some smoothness?), and now I switched back to the built-in renderer... :)

4. mslong

mslong

Ah, I did figure out last night how to get it to work in HDRP if you're interested. You have to make an Unlit HDRP shader graph and in the properties tick off the "Shadow Matte" option, and switch it to transparent. That should do the functionality that you want.

fuzzy3d and manutoo like this.
  5. manutoo

manutoo

Thanks for the tip ! :)

I'm 90% sure it was not there when I was trying the HDRP, so it's good to know they added it.

Now, if they could significantly boost the performances, that'd be great.

mslong likes this.
unityunity