Search Unity

InvinciCar WebPlayer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ProtonOne, May 31, 2008.

1. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Check it out:

http://www.protonfoundry.com/InvinciCar/

Technical Details
    - Levels are built dynamically based on the wiki spline code.
    - Ground shader blends 2 textures based on steepness
    - Tree shadows baked into the vertexes of the ground
    - All levels are randomly generated based on a few seed values (hill magnitude, curve magnitude, track length, car/shack/zombie/tower density)

Screenshot

2. Scrat

Scrat

Great work! It's really fun and very addictive. Congrats!

3. Jessy

Jessy

I love the blades. Very Silent Hill-esque.

Hearing the same two notes over and over is kind of annoying, though. Are you going for car horns? If so, I don't think anybody would honk for that short of a duration, and the sound is more like a brass instrument sample than a car horn recording, so it's weird. If that's not what you're going for, then a less "horny" sound should be less confusing. Also, if the idea is that it's good to hear those sounds, then you may want to consider using two notes that form a "happier" interval. Right now, we're being rewarded with a minor chord, which to me is counterintuitive.

Nice work, though. Driving carnage is a winning formula. :)

4. llavigne

llavigne

I suggest X10 for school bus and X100 for ambulances

5. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

I like it. It feels like playing Billiards with cars. :)

6. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Its cool, but I think at least some of the other cars need to be driving as well.

7. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

NICCEEE... quite an addictive gameplay..... more levels and more destructive power ups would make this game even more addictive...Congrats

Steve

8. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Very nice finish. The other cars all standing still though is just plain odd. :)

9. podperson

podperson

A more "clumpy" algorithm for distributing other cars would be nice too -- it would make it more useful to switch from side to side.

Night levels would be neat too (headlights and tail lights :) )

10. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I loved this. Nicholas just laughed and said "balanced game difficulty is overrated", and I couldn't agree more... the sheer pleasure of just crashing down the rate is exquisite :)

d.

11. Marc

Marc

Hehe this is great. Gets annoying tho when the car slows down cause you just wanna crash stuff.

You should look abit at the sound and how it behaves when multiple cars crash. The constant horn gets annoying really fast.

Fun game tho!

12. crockett

crockett

I dunno what it is, I tried yesterday and today but the game just won't load for me. It gets to what appears to be 100% but it never actually launches into the game.

I tried on both my windows machine using IE7 and my iMac using Safari and both do the same thing. Not sure what's up but I can play other untiy games with out any issues.

13. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Thanks for the great feedback :)

I got the feeling the horn could get annoying, I hoped it would get to be rewarding kind of like the honk in quake 3. Will look into some alternatives.

I actually had jumping mechanical spiders in there for a while... really strange and didn't make much sense.

About the cars not moving, I started to make their AI, then got lazy and placed the game in a post-apocalyptic setting hoping nobody would notice :p (with inspiration from silent hill and resident evil visual style)

The clumpy car grouping is a great idea podperson. I was trying to figure out how to give some incentive to cross the ditch, that seems like a perfect idea.

@crockett: That is concerning. I will check into that. Anything in your Mac console? (Applications-> Utilities-> Console). It should put a few things there as it loads the webplayer.

14. crockett

crockett

Yes it's giving a error <eror> IDAT: CRC erro\n

can't figure out how to copy the full thing..

15. drJones

drJones

very fun cool idea. felt like car pinball to me ; )

some comments:

-i also think many more methods of destruction should be available. for me only in the later levels does the game really become exciting when you have the blades electricity going and cars / debris flying everywhere. i think more destruction variety, and having new abilities coming in at a faster pace would balance the game better.

-in the same vein, i think there should be some real hazards involved. the game is fun as is but i think it would be more involving and challenging if there were things you needed to avoid on the way (*bad* zombies? land mines? i don't know ; ) at least in the later levels. you can pretty much phone in your performance right now at any point which is satisfying for a while but it doesn't last IMO.

well done : )

16. kinl

kinl

I love what you have done with the road creation and i love the way the car handles. would there be any chance of a tutorial? :)

17. ProtonOne

ProtonOne