Search Unity

InvinciCar Online - Updated 10/25/2008

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ProtonOne, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

InvinciCar Online

Web Player Location:

http://www.nplay.com

Code (csharp):
    1. InvinciCar Online Overview
    3. Race against opponents from all around the world in this browser based multi-player experience.
    5. Win against your opponent and you will earn cash you can use to:
    7.     * Upgrade your car's top speed, acceleration and nitrous boosts.
    8.    * Customize your car's appearance:
    9.           o Body Paint  Art
    10.           o Window Tint
    11.           o Hood
    12.           o Spoiler
    13.           o Skirt
    14.           o Rims
    15.     * Buy  collect new cars!
    18. Instructions
    20. Use the ARROW KEYS to drive
    21. Press SPACEBAR to for a nitrous boost
    22. See in-game help for detailed instructions
    Version 1.1 - Updated 10/25/2008
    - Added Duel Lobby

Let me know what you think, and any bugs or suggestions you have.

The connection success rate is only about 70% right now due to a NATTargetNotConnected error. I have a thread on that here if you have any insight:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=14633

Thanks for playing! :D

2. kinl

kinl

I love it and hope it does well when its finished :)

3. nickavv

nickavv

Ooh, very cool. :D The car upgrading system is a great incentive to keep playing (and I still am). Fun fun fun, online seems to work flawlessly.

4. soad667

soad667

Just tried it... Amazing!
    Yeah, online was very smooth for me too and with the upgrading system, it just never gets boring...
    Can't wait to see more on it. :wink:

5. nickavv

nickavv

Actually, my entire computer locked up shortly after making that post. It was just as I started a race with someone.

6. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Glad you guys are liking it. The next challenge will be balancing it as players start to upgrade their cars. Can a super car lose to an entry level muscle car?... time will tell.

That is the first time I have heard of that happening. I will keep an eye out for anything strange as the connection is taking place.

Do you mind if I ask the OS and browser? I have noticed some strange things with Vista and IE7 that only happen to some people (not freezing crashes though).

7. nickavv

nickavv

I'm running Firefox 3.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.5

8. soad667

soad667

I can say i got addicted to it. I've been playing it, till i max out my classic car's upgrades and the best (to my taste) appearance.

Btw, two times i raced with a sports car. The first, i lost way too easily. But the second, i managed to win (he was a bit pimped up), so i guess it is possible to win better cars (depends on the driver's arcade-driving skills :p)...

How about an option for larger/smaller bets in some way?
    Last but not least, are you going to put more cars,parts (larger variety of more moddable areas, like i.e. the car's roof) or any... content update of some kind?

One way or another, i loved this. Keep up... 8)

EDIT: When you win because opponent leaves, there is a spelling mistake to the on-screen message: "forefited", instead of "forfeited".

9. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Fixed that spelling mistake, good catch :) Haven't uploaded a new version yet though.

The goal was to make it so that no 2 cars look the same. I threw in the ability to change the window tint just because I could, thinking everyone would just use dark black. But to my surprise, the first day of testing someone turned their windows orange :p And today I saw one with blue windows. So it can be surprising what people want to customize.

It may eventually be necessary to connect people to each other based on the power of their car, bet size may tie into that, but it is a bit too early to tell.

Keeping everything simple and casual, but still adding depth is a tricky balance.

BTW soad667, I raced against you a few hours ago but didn't realize it was you. I though, oh, a system of a down fan... wonder what the 667 is for... guess I will never know (since I didn't put chat in). Oh yeah, and you won the match :oops:

10. holmeren

holmeren

Sweet... and a nice color graded environment!

11. soad667

soad667

Well, at first i kept the regular window tint, but later i found that dark red fits better.
    Btw, black is my favourite color and i don't like at all extras like vinyls and body-paints.
    I just love the simplicity of a single color on cars.

Btw, we raced together? You used the same nick? Didn't notice that. :oops:

I hope you won't add a Bugatti or something that will cost like 1.5 million dollars. :eek:
    Except if there's some kind of option for larger bets (and larger risks)...

Anyway, can't wait for updates of any kind. :wink:

12. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Wow!
    Racing feels really solid.

I would love to know how that incredible shader on the default car works - All the reflective shaders I have seen reflect based off a cubemap and not the real environment.

This is a great start for a nice racing game.

13. Sam Shiels

Sam Shiels

Wowzers!!! It's good fun and very professional! It reminds me of Need for Speed.

14. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

This is actually pretty simple and a cool trick to do: :)

You can simply put a camera in the middle of the object you want to have "realtime" reflections for and do a renderToCubeMap. Make sure the camera doesn't render the object (use a different render layer). You would render out to the same cubemap every frame or so that you have on the object's basic reflection shader. Make sure the cube map size is optimal for what you need, while 1024x1024 looks nice, it renders ultra slow. :)

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Really nice. A lot has happened since I last saw this. For some reason, the game locked up in the middle of a multiplayer race though - prompting a hard reboot. Possibly its something I did though - a week ago or so another unity webplayer did the same on this laptop. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go look for log entries.

16. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Thanks Nathan! That is a really cool trick.
    I will have to try that :)

17. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

@Proton - I hadn't realized that I didn't post on this thread before... your game is awesome! Looks great, controls are nice, I like the upgrade system, and I really think the motion blur is sweet and adds a whole lot to the visuals! :)

@Robur - You're welcome! :)

18. soad667

soad667

Is there a possibility for a registration or something, so we'll be able to play from another computer under the same account/cars?

EDIT: Btw, it happened to me twice to race with two opponents, instead of one. I managed to win both times and got money normally (1000, not the double :p), but i don't know if they both lost money from that. Server is doing its tricks? :?

19. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Thanks for the comments guys!

@robur: Unity has an example script for real-time reflection here (second script down):
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Camera.RenderToCubemap.html

I only modified it a bit to share a single reflection between both cars.

@soad667: That is a mystery we just discovered too. I was watching the servers today and saw 3 players in the servers quite a few times. The interesting thing was that all the servers that suffered from this problem have PublicIP addresses and were not using Nat punchthrough.

Seems like a strange little bug, I will put some workaround code in there tonight.

Not too sure about registration, there are definitely advantages to doing that. But we don't have any database integration at this point.

20. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

lol you just owned me soad667. You are the first person I have seen with the super car, my classic car was unmodified except I had 5 nitrous boosts.

I think with some engine upgrades I could have competed.

Just uploading a new version to fix the strange 3 person per server thing. It's kinda cool if you are in the menu or racing when the update takes effect. It will tell you to refresh the browser before you can race again.

21. soad667

soad667

Yeah, nice race. :p
    Just saw the update too, a bit unexpected.
    Nice surprise, while playing...

Btw, just got the supercar. It was my second race with it!
    And i just finished with its appearance, now for the upgrades. :wink:

One of my top 5 browser games, perfect for a boring day... at work. :twisted:

22. nivdavid

nivdavid

if anyone care my user name in the game is "bad bull". I have a super car fully upgraded and its just too boring to play. cant you just make more options?! like new cars, more upgrade anything...

23. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Oh yeah, I've raced against you. Black super car with black tinted windows. You kicked my butt pretty effortlessly a few times :p (My name is Proton ingame).

There are a few other people with super cars, not many though. I can imagine it must be boring to start a race and see the standard brown painted 'Racer' next to you... 8)

I am just working on bug fixes and some balancing issues right now.

But we will be looking for ways to add longevity to the game, possibly by matching people up based on skill.

24. soad667

soad667

Version 1.0.20? Nice...
    And some good balancing ideas there.

Funny is that i was racing with the supercar and pressing repeatedly space. I thought it was stuck. Then i noticed there was no nitro. It's better that way. Supercar is already overpowered, doesn't need nitro.

I'm glad you slightly improved the classic car too. It totally sucked against the fully upgraded supercar. At least now it can compete... kinda. :p

And yeah, i raced only 3-4 times against a sportcar, never against a supercar. :(
    Of course, it makes you really bored when the opponent has the default classic brown stock car under the name Racer! A couple of times, i just forfeited the race...

How about adding a new car, something like a Mini Cooper? :p
    Seriously speaking now, it doesn't have to be something even faster of the supercar, or... even slower than the classic. I.e. it would be nice if there were 2-3 cars of each class with similar stats. Just to add more variety in the game. :wink:

25. nickavv

nickavv

I'd like to see some new tracks, possibly ones that aren't straight lines; or have some jumps in them.

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Great game, but I'll chip in with two critiques:

1. When connecting for online play, hide all that connection messaging! Have a simple one line "Be patient, connecting..." that can optionally be expanded to show all your connection steps. Keep the UI display slim friendly.

2. I don't much care for the handling if/when you do get off the road. I'm all for having it be much more "sloppy" but I felt like going into the dirt caused too much of a "someone just jerked the wheel hard left" sort of a feel instead of a limited traction experience.

Edit: ok, three!

3. You offer a "Go fullscreen" button early, but if I'm waiting for folks to join me in a race, hit Escape to exit full screen (to check mail while waiting), I then can't get back to fullscreen as the button isn't there. Make it so I can toggle in/out whenever please. :)

Again though, top-notch work! :D

27. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Thanks for the critiques Tom. All 3 of those issues have now been sorted out :)

We are also working on a new feature/system to give more control over who players are matched up with... can't say too much about it right now, but stay tuned... 8)

28. soad667

soad667

Two issues, one suggestion and a notice. :p

Issues:
    - The Main Menu tab disappeared and i refreshed to bring it back. It happened only once so far.
    - I went to race online, i saw the "An opponent arrived" and... i raced alone! The countdown appeared normally, i finished the race, took the money, but i never saw the opponent. :eek:

Suggestion:
    - How about adding to the money won/lost the difference between the drivers, i.e. multiplied by 10?
    I think it's a nice addition, the extra money won't be so much (to ruin the balance) and it will make the drivers won't give up so easily, trying to lose as less money as they can.

Notice:
    - I raced against 4-5 different supercar opponents for the first time.
    Nice, i like seeing things get more... serious. :wink:

Keep up, the game becomes better and better...

29. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Version 1.1 Online Now

Featuring the Duel Lobby:

:arrow: Chat with opponents
    :arrow: View opponent car stats
    :arrow: Challenge or be challenged to a duel
    :arrow: Ignore opponents (just incase)
    :arrow: Filter opponent list by car type

This should help give players like soad667 nivdavid more challenge as well as give new Racers a chance to complete.

Check it out:
    http://www.nplay.com/

30. EFFalcon

EFFalcon

I realise this is plenty old now, but wow.
    If you ever consider releasing the source consider me interested :p

31. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Such pro work makes me fell so tiny and fragile... Congratz friend its an awesome game with awesome graphics! Still waiting for your FPS to come out!

Keep it up!

32. agenda.

agenda.

very nice game, but didnt like being called sukkel!

maybe i am!...