Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Investing / developing / marketing asset store packages

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by janpec, Sep 24, 2019.

1. janpec

janpec

Hello guys and gals, does anyone in particular here consistently (or has done it few times) hire developers to produce Asset store packages? Personally i have done outsourcing work for certain Asset store packages before, but most of work was done by myself. What i am wondering, have developers here experiance with outsourcing all the work for whole package and what results were income wise? Was it worth it long term or not?

For example someone who hired 3d artists and animators to create full 3d packages. Or hiring programmer, artist and musican to create a bit more of overall package. I have in mind rather smaller to medium sized packages, not larger scale projects like K4 Manifactura or some other larger scale projects.
    I have in mind several packages with some decent risk, but would like to get some actual experiances of users that used this path if possible.

Also additional question, does any Asset store publisher uses paid adds with decent success rate? For example Facebook or Youtube as marketing platform, and what conversion rates did you get?

If you have actual product links to Asset store that you can post of practical example, that would be also appreciated. It might also help other developers out who are looking to outsource extra hand.

(in case if question fits better to general discussion, admins please move the thread there)

2. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

I haven't used paid ads. My impression is that return on investment is poor. Contacting a game dev streamer on Youtube or Twitch would probably be better. They already have an audience, and they're in a better position to objectively evaluate your assets and recommend them or not.

Hiring a third party for asset development is like any other business partnership. It all depends on finding the right partners who are reliable and that you can do business with amicably.

I hired artists to make the demo assets for Quest Machine and the Dialogue System for Unity, made sure full rights were handed over in the contract, etc. They were one-off deals with no further involvement from the artists.

In contrast, I have a partnership with Arteria3D to publish their 3D models on the Unity Asset Store. We have an agreement on revisions and the like. For example, the artist is now adding LODs to improve their performance on mobile. Revisions are part of the contract. But I'm still dependent on the artist to deliver the revisions. I would be hesitant to enter the same kind of partnership for a code-based asset. The need for updates to handle new Unity versions, and for support and bug fixes, is so much greater.

4. janpec

janpec

Hey @TonyLi , thanks for reply. I actually tried contacting Youtubers but it did not yield much response, nor would it made much economic sense, at least those that were willing to charge for it.

Actually i did not had in mind any partnership role, just a one time (or potentially further hire if proven well) of developers to complete project with full rights and access for asset distribution to handled over.

Any feedback is wellcome.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

If it involves any code, someone's going to have to maintain it. That would be my primary concern about subcontracting programming work.

6. janpec

janpec

Yes agree with that, this is why i was mainly thinking only of simpler scripts that would take less amount of upkeep.