Search Unity

Investigation about Blender 2.8 and Unity import process

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by SOI_7, Apr 11, 2020.

1. SOI_7

SOI_7

Greetings all!
    I'm writing this topic to share a curious bug I found with Blender and Unity. I'm currently on 2019.3.0f6 and I have both Blender 2.79 and 2.82 installed. The reason is because I found some issues importing my models into my game despite my will to stay up to date with the tools.

Case 1:
    With Blender 2.79, I was (and still am) able to direct import .blend files inside Unity, the output mesh ingame was perfectly fine:
    Case 2:
    With Blender 2.8x, the direct import doesn't work anymore. Direct importing the mesh will simply result into an empty mesh

Case 3:
    Exporting the mesh as .fbx (Binary) with Blender 2.79 or 2.8x gives a twisted mesh:

Case 4:
    With Blender 2.79, exporting the model as .fbx (ASCII) provides a perfect mesh, like in Case 1.

Case 5:
    With Blender 2.8x, the option to export models as .fbx (ASCII) has been deprecated, so you are forced to stick with Binary, falling into Case 3.

My Theory
    I think that Unity always had a broken FBX converter, but before it worked fine to me because the default FBX format with 2.79 direct import (which I guess was an automatic Blender to FBX conversion behind the curtains) was ASCII, but now that 2.8x deprecated ASCII I'm forced with the broken format.

Solution
    For now, I'm forced to stick with 2.79. Unity Team should, however, look into a solution to fix the FBX Binary import regardless the direct import support with 2.8x. If someone knows about a modded BlenderToFBX.py script that fixes the issue, that would be even better (tried many with no results)

P.S.
    I have yet to upgrade Unity to 2019.3.9f1 because I'm seriously scared to see more stuff broken. However, if someone can assure me the issue is gone in that version, I will try updating

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

3. SOI_7

SOI_7

Sure thing

marc_tanenbaum likes this.
  4. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Hey SOI_7,

Apologies for the delay, we've done some investigation and we believe this is a problem with the Blender exporter.

We're seeing the same results in the FBX Viewer so it (sadly) doesn't look like something we can fix on our end. To be blunt, it looks like a stuffed-up FBX file!

If you have any other cases to add, I'd be more than happy to take a look!