Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I just saw that NGUI is on sale for 24hrs. Is this compatible?
    Not sure if it's even worth it as this already has a solid GUI system and the sister app Quest System Pro obviously handles dialogue well as well as integration for The Dialogue System. I guess the only use would be chat boxes and main menu items which is not really worth $75.

I guess I answered my own question :p

I guess I'm still not clear on this.
    If your player has 4 inventories then wouldn't currency be handled by just one? It seems silly to have copies of currency in multiple player inventories. You could have one amount of currency in your bank and a different amount in your character's pockets and move currency between them but when removing you wouldn't want to remove from both.

Also when looting from a corpse or loot chest you would remove currency from this collection and then store in the player's collection.

In all of these examples I guess you would use colelction.removecurrency and collection.addcurrency being sure to reference the correct collection for each.

If the player has multiple inventories I'm guessing this would be like armor, weapons, usable items, and one big collection with everything, or is there a better way to tag and categorize items with tags such as #weapon #usableitem etc to save having duplicate inventories.

What would be the use cases for shared inventories or for inventorymanager.removecurrency?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. jorisshh

jorisshh

Nope, NGUI is not supported. It can be integrated but given a lot of components in Inventory Pro that would be a LOT of work. I can't recommend it :p

3. jorisshh

jorisshh

You're right, however, Inventory Pro doesn't enforce this. If you want to have 4 inventories on your player, each can store currency, but you can also restrict this to a single "main" collection. You can allow collections to hold currency (or not) in the restrictions of each collection.

Only the currencies that can hold currency are considered when using InventoryManager.AddCurrency and RemoveCurrency. So in case you only have 1 collection that can contain currency the InventoryManager.AddCurrency and RemoveCurrency do the exact same thing as collection.AddCurrency and collection.RemoveCurrency.

You can't tag items, but you can filter based on item types, stats, weight, price, etc. For example, weapons are of the type EquippableInventoryItem. By filtering for that type only equipable items can be stored in the collection.

"inventorymanager.removecurrency" considers all active collections that can contain currencies. If you have 2 collections that each have 5 gold in it, and you need 8 gold to buy an item the InventoryManager.RemoveCurrency will check both collections and allow you to buy the item. If you were to only check a single inventory the action would fail, as that specific collection doesn't have enough gold in it. If you're only using 1 collection that can contain currency you of course don't have to worry about this :)

4. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

This makes a lot of sense. So if you have 5g in your pockets and 5g in your backpack and buy something worth 10g then not only are you poorly organised but you're also now broke. Of course if you also had 20g in your bank then I wouldn't want this to be automatically debited in a medieval game (but in a modern or futuristic game it is ok). So I guess for a medieval game with a banking system (that doesn't allow exchanges of credit notes between guilds), you would use add/remove from collection rather than add/remove from inventory.

Thanks for the clarification.

jorisshh likes this.
  5. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

I followed the video tutorial for getting started but my nested panel doesn't position right. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

6. jorisshh

jorisshh

The collection slots have the pivot set in the middle of the UI element. This means that it will position the middle of the slot in the top left corner, making it overflow. You can either add (width / 2) extra padding, or move the pivot of the slot UI element to the top left.

7. jorisshh

jorisshh

8. twobob

twobob

Ooh ooh DO I get my free prize now?
    see you thought I had forgot, or got run over or something...
    Looks shiny! I will evanglise, such as that is

jorisshh likes this.
  9. go1dfish

go1dfish

Creating an item you are given the option between a model and an Icon, but the UI seems to only use Icons.

Is there a way to make the inventory/character UI use the item models? Or a simple way to pre-generate icons from the item models?

One more question:

Is it possible to have Items restrict what items they can be equipped with?

Example use case:

A bodysuit item and a pair of pants and a shirt. If you wear the bodysuit you can't wear the pants or shirt and vice versa. The pants and shirt could be worn together.

Edit: I see that equipment restrictions exist but they apply more category and I'm thinking more specific like maybe a shirt that doesn't work with a specific pair of pants (for clipping reasons but we'd come up with an in game explanation maybe)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    jorisshh likes this.
  10. jorisshh

jorisshh

The model can be used when dropping an item or equipping that item. Generating the item icons wouldn't be too hard, but 9/10 times the angle isn't ideal for an icon.

You can only restrict items based on categories like you said; However, you could create a custom equippable item type and override its equipment behavior. This way you can make any custom restrictions. See : http://devdog.io/unity-assets/inventory-pro/documentation/2.5p/api/creating-a-new-item-type (Note: if you're creating a custom equippable item type inherit from EquippableInventoryItem instead of InventoryItemBase).

go1dfish likes this.
  11. go1dfish

go1dfish

Thank you for the prompt response, really loving this asset so far.

Is it possible to get NPC's hooked up with their own inventory/equipment without connecting them to a canvas/UI elements?

Use Case:

I've already built a custom equipment type to handle wearing and removing clothing using NotifyItem(Un)Equipped that works great with my player character, I'd like to generate NPCs with random equipment and inventory and have their equipment and inventory lootable once they die.

It seems like this is likely possible, but all the info I can find on setting up equipment slots deals with setting up canvas UIs and I'm not quite sure how to best apply that to NPCs

Maybe I'm going about it wrong and they do need their own character UI so that it can be looted from?

jorisshh likes this.
  12. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yep, certainly. We've actually done a blog post on it a while back: http://devdog.io/blog/2016/09/taking-inventory-pro-item-collections-to-the-extreme

As of 2.5.2 the ItemCollectionDataObj has been integrated into Inventory Pro as ItemCollectionSlotData, so your item collection would look like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using Devdog.InventoryPro;
    5. // Inherit from ItemCollectionBase
    6. public class MyItemCollection : ItemCollectionBase
    7. {
    8.     // Override the initialCollectionSize to give our minion a starting collection of 8 slots.
    9.     [SerializeField]
    10.     private uint _initialCollectionSize = 8;
    11.     public override uint initialCollectionSize
    12.     {
    13.         get { return _initialCollectionSize; }
    14.         set { _initialCollectionSize = value; }
    15.     }
    17.     // FillUI is called when the collection is populated.
    18.     protected override void FillUI()
    19.     {
    20.         // Fill the collection with data slots (these are not shown in the editor or UI, as they only reside in memory)
    21.         items = new ICollectionItem[initialCollectionSize];
    22.         for (int i = 0; i < initialCollectionSize; i++)
    23.         {
    24.             items[i] = new ItemCollectionSlotData(); // Fill it using our data object
    25.         }
    26.     }
    27. }
    The collection still has to be attached to an object and can be configured like any other collection; However, its slots won't be visible and be data-only objects.

The CharacterUI can be attached to any IEquippableCharacter implementer, which you could implement on your own NPC character controller, allowing it to equip items, and at the same time generate stats for that NPC.

TeagansDad and go1dfish like this.
  13. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

hi, team. Excuse me?
    F key down of the ufps demo is not work. look at my screen capture.
    i checked the error but there is no compile errors. what should i do? thanks!
    what.PNG

edit: my unity version is 5.6.0f1, and os is windows7.
    my project only includes two assets which are InventoryPro and UFPS.

jorisshh likes this.
  14. jorisshh

jorisshh

There's a problem in Unity 5.5+ where code doesn't re-compile after enabling the integration.

I presume you've already enabled the integration in Tools / Inventory Pro / Integrations wizard? If Unity doesn't recompile the code properly after this go to Assets/Devdog, right click, and hit reimport. This will force Unity to recompile the code, which should do the trick.

hopeful likes this.
  15. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

Thank you jorisshh!
    done! reimport saved me!

jorisshh likes this.
  16. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inventory Pro V2.5.6 is here :):

• InventoryItemBase cooldown time now has a protected set, allowing you to add custom cooldown behavior
    • [FIX] Merging 2 items with the same ID succeeded even if items had different stats. Using new item.Equals() instead of manually comparing item ID's
    • Empty constructor for stat (for deserialization)
    • Position item in editor fixed
    • Made stat.currentMaxValueRaw accessible
    • [FIX] Fixed currency serialization issue
    • [FIX] Fixed dialogs not updating item icons (fixes #238)
    • [FIX] Fixed issue with serialized equippable items throwing error when unequipping.
    • Serializing collection reference in CollectionSaverLoader is now exposed in the inspector allowing the object to be added on any object - This is useful when the original collection becomes disabled, and therefore doesn't receive any Unity events. By placing the collection saver loader on an object that remains active (like the _Managers), and setting a reference to the collection you want to save everything will continue to work as expected.
    • PlayMaker action GenerateItems now writes to FSMArray (playmaker variable)
    • Added StatSerializationModel

julianr and hopeful like this.
  17. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

Hi jorisshh.
    I am using it with UFPS. The other part is going well, but that one thing is very difficult.

When I pick up weapons and ammunition, the slot is empty at the beginning, so I want to add weapons to UI_Item_Weapon 1 and UI_Item_Ammo 1 without opening the inventory.

Http://devdog.io/unity-assets/inventory-pro/documentation/2.5p/api/character-equipment
    I saw this page, but how can i put in the slot of UI_Item_Weapon 1 or UI_Item_Ammo 1 using this code?

weaponslot.PNG

code.PNG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    jorisshh likes this.
  18. jorisshh

jorisshh

The event callback (CharacterUI_ItemEquipped) should be:

private void CharacterUI_ItemEquipped(IEnumerable<InventoryItemBase> items, uint amount, bool cameFromCollection)
    {

}

For the EquippableInventoryItem.GetBestEquipSlot() you can pass the characterUI, as it implements the ICharacterCollection interface by default.

19. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

It was very easy.
    CharacterUI.AddItem (item);
    This worked fine.
    also, I approached the ideal using your callback.
    Thank you!

jorisshh likes this.
  20. JACKO4590

JACKO4590

Hi. I have notice on the store page it says "30% Off during March and early April! " but the price is still saying $65USD

When was this meant to start?
    Thanks

21. jorisshh

jorisshh

I submitted a sale with the last update, but for some reason, Unity accepted the update, but not the actual sale. I submitted it again, but again the update got accepted without the sale. I've since contacted Unity but haven't heard back from them yet.

22. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Hi,

Thank you for your great and flexible asset. I am using it successfully for my game until now, but I encountered somewhat annoying bug.

When I try to drag an item into a certain slot in a character ui collection, then drag again over the same slot, for some reason I get this error, even though, one of the items is already equipped and shall be unequipped to leave space for the next one.
    'Trying to unEquip item, but item wasn't equipped in the first place!
    Assertion failed. Value was False
    Expected: True'

Edit
    -----
    When I drag into the character ui itself, and not the slot, the problem doesn't happen, and on item gets unequipped and the new item gets equipped.

Thanks for advance.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  23. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hi,

I can't seem to be able to replicate this issue; Could you paste the full stack trace of the error please?

Stranger-Games likes this.
  24. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Thank you for your prompt reply. Here is the full stack. I have a little bit of custom UI, but I don't think this is the problem.

25. jorisshh

jorisshh

Does this perhaps happen after saving and loading? This is a bug in Inventory Pro 2.5.5, and has been fixed in 2.5.6 (assuming it's the same issue of course). I can't replicate the issue, even when disabling the drag to area.

26. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Thank you again for your reply. I upgraded to 2.5.6 with no luck. Loading occurs.

However, I suspect the following code in CharacterUI.cs is the problem. I added some debug lines to illustrate.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void NotifyItemRemoved(InventoryItemBase item, uint itemID, uint slot, uint amount)
    2.         {
    3.             Debug.Log ("NotifyItemRemoved " + item);
    4.             base.NotifyItemRemoved(item, itemID, slot, amount);
    5.             var i = (EquippableInventoryItem) item;
    6.             Debug.Log ("NotifyItemRemoved " + i.isEquipped); //true
    7.             i.NotifyItemUnEquipped(this, amount);
    8.             Debug.Log ("NotifyItemRemoved " + i.isEquipped); //false, the item is no longer equipped
    10.             _character.equipmentHandler.UnEquipItemVisually(i);
    12.             // Item was removed, stats changed, can other items still remain equipped?
    13.             foreach (var wrapper in items)
    14.             {
    15.                 if (wrapper.item != null)
    16.                 {
    17.                     var equip = (EquippableInventoryItem)wrapper.item;
    18.                     // Un-use the item, then check if the stats are valid, if not unequip
    19.                     character.stats.SetAll(item.stats, 1f, false);
    20.                     bool canEquip = equip.CanEquip(this);
    21.                     // Restore stats
    22.                     character.stats.SetAll(item.stats, -1f, false);
    24.                     if (canEquip == false)
    25.                     {
    26.                         UnEquipItem(equip, true); //Debugging inside UnEquipItem illustrates that it tries to unequip the item just dragged into the slot, but assert fails, because the item.isEquipped is false.
    27.                         //it doesn't make sense why it's trying to unequip the item that should be equipped instead
    28.                     }
    29.                 }
    30.             }
    31.         }

27. jorisshh

jorisshh

Weird, it seems to try and remove itself for a 2nd time then. Could you try the following?

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void NotifyItemRemoved(InventoryItemBase item, uint itemID, uint slot, uint amount)
    2.         {
    3.             Debug.Log ("NotifyItemRemoved " + item);
    4.             base.NotifyItemRemoved(item, itemID, slot, amount);
    5.             var i = (EquippableInventoryItem) item;
    6.             Debug.Log ("NotifyItemRemoved " + i.isEquipped); //true
    7.             i.NotifyItemUnEquipped(this, amount);
    8.             Debug.Log ("NotifyItemRemoved " + i.isEquipped); //false, the item is no longer equipped
    9.             _character.equipmentHandler.UnEquipItemVisually(i);
    10.             // Item was removed, stats changed, can other items still remain equipped?
    11.             foreach (var wrapper in items)
    12.             {
    13.                 if (wrapper.item != null && wrapper.item != item)
    14.                 {
    15.                     var equip = (EquippableInventoryItem)wrapper.item;
    16.                     // Un-use the item, then check if the stats are valid, if not unequip
    17.                     character.stats.SetAll(item.stats, 1f, false);
    18.                     bool canEquip = equip.CanEquip(this);
    19.                     // Restore stats
    20.                     character.stats.SetAll(item.stats, -1f, false);
    21.                     if (canEquip == false)
    22.                     {
    23.                         UnEquipItem(equip, true); //Debugging inside UnEquipItem illustrates that it tries to unequip the item just dragged into the slot, but assert fails, because the item.isEquipped is false.
    24.                         //it doesn't make sense why it's trying to unequip the item that should be equipped instead
    25.                     }
    26.                 }
    27.             }
    28.         }
    I added "&& wrapper.item != item" to the if statement in the foreach loop. The error should only happen when an item with stat requirements is equipped; I'll try to replicate the issue locally.

28. JACKO4590

JACKO4590

Hey mate, its been a few days now, I'v noticed you have removed the sale line from the description on the asset store. Does that mean it won't be going on sale? I don't have enough to throw at it but if it was to go on sale i would have scrounged up enough for it. Good asset you have going here.

29. Metron

Metron

Hi,

I'm very interested in this inventory solution.

Has anyone managed to integrate this with Vive Controllers? I'd like to attach the canvas to one controller and use the second one to actually interact with the inventory.

Thanks for your help.

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've contacted Unity about this, but sadly they're not responding. I'd like to put it on sale, but Unity simply won't let me and isn't responding... I'll be trying again soon; If you'd like you can sign up to our newsletter and you'll be notified when any sales are announced: http://internalmailer.devdog.io/form/1

31. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inventory Pro (and all other Devdog assets) use regular Unity UI elements, and work in camera, screen and worldspace. So these should (in theory), work using the Vive. Sadly I don't own a VR set, so I haven't been able to test, but some other Inventory Pro users managed to get it working from what I heard. You could of course reach out to them at http://forum.devdog.io :)

32. Metron

Metron

Thanks... will do...

33. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

That didn't fix it, but this fixed it, because the code is trying to unequip the swapped item two times.

Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (var wrapper in items)
    2.             {
    3.                 if (wrapper.item != null /*&& wrapper.item != item*/) {
    4.                     var equip = (EquippableInventoryItem)wrapper.item;
    5.                     // Un-use the item, then check if the stats are valid, if not unequip
    6.                     character.stats.SetAll(item.stats, 1f, false);
    7.                     bool canEquip = equip.CanEquip(this);
    8.                     // Restore stats
    9.                     character.stats.SetAll(item.stats, -1f, false);
    11.                     if (canEquip == false && equip.isEquipped)
    12.                     {
    13.                         UnEquipItem(equip, true);
    14.                     }
    15.                 }
    16.             }
    I also had a bug that when I drag an item out of the character UI, all the other items were dragged out. I changed checked "Can Use from collection" in the character UI which fixed it. But I don't understand why this happens.

jorisshh likes this.
  34. jorisshh

jorisshh

If all other items are dragged out these are likely exceeding their restrictions. You can do the following:

Item a + 5 strength
    Item b: Requires 3+ strength to equip

Item item A (strength is now 5)
    Equip item B: Requirements are met
    Unequip item A (strength is now 0 again)

Item B will auto. be un-equipped, as it's now exceeding its restriction.

If you don't want this behavior you can comment out the entire foreach loop, as this is the restriction part I just described.

And thank you for the "isEquipped" addition, I've added it to the next release cycle :)

35. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

I've made my own UI & I'm trying to drag an item from my inventory to an equipable slot but I keep getting this error, any ideas what might be causing it please?

36. jorisshh

jorisshh

Judging from the error I'd say the equippable slot is either not in a character collection, or the characterUI is not connected to an InventoryPlayer.

37. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Thank you for your reply and for updating the new release.
    The behaviour you just described in the quote above is great and desired behaviour. However, that's not the case. When the character UI has 'Use from collection' turned off, dragging one item out of the character UI drags all items out too, even if those items don't have any restrictions. But when 'Use from collection' is turned on, this doesn't happen.
    What does the 'Use from collection' inspector value mean? I think this is a bug, but perhaps I am wrong and that is intended behaviour.
    I've seen somewhere in the code a check on 'Use from collection' value. If the value is false, then it means the item is restricted and can't be equipped, which I think is not the intended behavior.
    If you can't replicate this issue I can dig the code again and get that line for you.

jorisshh likes this.
  38. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks, I was able to replicate the issue :) I'll investigate further and get it fixed.

39. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Your asset is great, and thanks for making it greater.

jorisshh likes this.
  40. jorisshh

jorisshh

All fixed for the next update. When an item is dragged out the collection validates if all items are still allowed to be equipped (see previous post). When canUseFromCollection is not enabled the items can't be used inside the collection and the validation step failed.

41. takapi

takapi

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    jorisshh and hopeful like this.
  42. jorisshh

jorisshh

That's looking fantastic, great job :D
    We've got fairly big twitter and facebook accounts, would you mind if we shared it on your channels?

43. takapi

takapi

Hi, Jorisshh.
    Thank you for your reply. :)
    I want to talk to you.
    Let 's talk about the rest in DM.

44. NevarrBlue

NevarrBlue

I tried to import the new version of inventory pro into my project and came a cross these errors during import.

Inventory pro warnings.PNG

I've used previous versions no problem before. The only other asset I really have in the project folder is invectors recent shooter controller. Would like any advice or fix as I"m an animator and not much of a programmer at all.

Thanks in advance.

45. jorisshh

jorisshh

Do you perhaps have third party assets in your project? It seems there's a script named "ScriptableObject" (or class at least) that's not namespaced and therefore interfering with Inventory Pro's utility.

46. wood333

wood333

Looks like @NevarrBlue said he had Invector's Third Person Controller. Could that be the culprit?

jorisshh likes this.
  47. jorisshh

jorisshh

@wood333 Thanks, completely missed that :)

@NevarrBlue Wood333 is right, Invector's third person controller could actually be the culprit. Teles, the creator of Invector, is, in fact, working on a fix for this :). I'm not sure if there's a temporary hotfix, you could ask him directly of course.

wood333 likes this.
  48. SuneT

SuneT

Quick update: You can win our newest asset; Odin Inspector & Serializer for free in a giveaway we just launched to celebrate that Odin is soon ready for release! :)

Join here: http://vyper.io/c/1059

jorisshh likes this.
  49. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inventory Pro 2.5.7 is here :D

• [FIX] Player drop rotation fix
    • [FIX] Item equipment error, trying to unequip an item that had just been equipped
    • [FIX] All items got unequipped from character collection when 'canUseFromCollection' was enabled and a single item was removed + Fixed issue with stats resetting after item is forcefully unequipped due to stat restrictions.
    • [FIX] CurrencyUI currenyUIElement is now marked as required
    • [FIX] Convert item to drop object has been fixed
    • [FIX] StatDefinition _levels is now initialized by default
    • [FIX] Fixed typo in StatRequirement (GreatherThan)
    • [UPDATE] LootUI TakeAll() method updated; NO longer uses UI route.
    • [FIX] UFPS multiplayer all items got looted on opening window issue fixed
    • [FIX] Fix out of range exception with phtoon lootable object syncer
    • [FIX] PhotonLootableObjectSyncer fixed
    • [FIX] Working photon lootable object syncer!
    • [FIX] Crafting fixed for UFPS multiplayer (item replication)
    • [ADD] InventoryContextMenu auto. selects the first UI elements in the array

hopeful and julianr like this.
  50. julianr

julianr

How long before Invector's TPC integration is ready ;) ?

jorisshh likes this.