Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice :), thanks

2. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ladies, gents, any other type of human life form that I might have missed, 2.1.0 just wen't live!
    That means Vendor & crafting & a whole lot of cleaning up and refactoring.

To upgrade, you might want to throw away the old folder, and do a clean import. Assuming you didn't create any files within the InventorySystem folder ... ( You wouldn't... would you...? )

twobob likes this.
  3. twobob

twobob

Hermaphrodites, eunuchs and those capable of Parthenogenesis.It's a short list.

Nice work!

jorisshh likes this.
  4. jorisshh

jorisshh

Well I'll be sure to never google those words again... :)

Also EasySave2 and Playmaker integrations are done, currently working on UFPS, stay tuned!

twobob likes this.
  5. goldencruz

goldencruz

might you happen to make a small demo of the playmaker in action please. or explain how to hook it and make it work please

6. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yes will do, just got to wrap up the last features, and then I'll cut loose on tutorials, examples, samples, video tutorials, the whole shebang :)

twobob likes this.
  7. charles01

charles01

Update looks great, Good job :)

8. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks, more on it's way though, more integration's as well as item and language databases, currently items are serialized on an object instance or prefab, which is a little clunky.

twobob likes this.
  9. twobob

twobob

And not ideal for storage, and really bad on the 4.x system where prefabs were saved as part of the scene object. Thankfully this practice has ended (version control nightmares)
    Glad you have considered this.

I thought about using userPrefs but the 1mb limit nerfed that. :)

10. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yeah I thought of PlayerPrefs as well, but serializing it in Unity is probably the fastest and cleanest way, I've taken a peek at other assets like the Dialogue system and UFPS, they both use the database (ScriptableObject) technique.

11. jorisshh

jorisshh

Wooh, made it to the top of the asset store :)

Just gloating, nothing to mention.. like .. at all.

twobob likes this.
  12. Saddy

Saddy

At the verge of buying, but any ETA on UFPS integration?

13. jorisshh

jorisshh

The way things are going, somewhere by the end of next week. Keep in mind that unity takes somewhere between 1 and 5 days to validate a package, so I can't say with certainty.

But you can certainly expect it within now and 2 weeks (including the Unity team's validation time).

14. Saddy

Saddy

Cheers bud! earned another purchase! :D

15. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks :) always good to hear. Any specific requests regarding the UFPS implementation? I'm building it now, so if you have some requests that might help other users as well I'd be happy to build it in.

16. Saddy

Saddy

Just for it to run as smooth as possible, and if there a way to impliment it into the "HEROHD Player" (i think thats the name of the prefab) would be amazing

17. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

would it be possible to reference an asset file instead of having to add the itemManager to the scene?

18. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've got you covered, I remembered you said it was a burden to have a manager in the scene at all times, so when no ItemManager is found, you'll be presented with a list of all databases in your project :)

twobob likes this.
  19. breakspirit

breakspirit

I would just like to say that this project looks really promising. I went ahead and purchased it. I see a lot of people requesting a lot of things and I'd like to suggest that you continue to be wary of feature-creep. The current demo has a number of bugs that make it unusable in an actual game. I hope you'll agree that fixing those is more important than integration with third parties or any other new features. The current product has every feature I want but I won't use it until it is stable enough for real use. I've been playing with a competing product, InventoryMaster, and it is buggy to the point of being a total waste of time. Your product is much better but still needs polish before it can be used. I'll hold off on reviewing it on the asset store until another release to see if things get ironed out.
    Thanks.

twobob likes this.
  20. jorisshh

jorisshh

I fully agree with you, a fully functioning product is far more important than a loaded product full of bugs. I prioritize bugs and fixes above new features, and have fixed all those that have been reported so far.

If you have any requests, things you liked ironed out, I'd love to hear them, after all they make my product better :)
    You can leave a comment here on the forums or directly submit them to https://bitbucket.org/jjahuijbregts/inventorysystemv2/issues and I'll fix them as soon as I can.

21. twobob

twobob

@breakspirit
    Might I ask - more specifically - which bugs you refer to, so as to not duplicate effort on reporting and analysis.

Much obliged

22. breakspirit

breakspirit

Here's a short list of bugs/suggestions I saw while playing with the demo for a few minutes:

- Open inventory. Hover over an item. Press 'i' to close the inventory. The item description window stays open. This also happens when a window closes from walking too far away.

- Open inventory. Close the Consumables window by pressing the X on the window. Press 'i'. The consumables window and the inventory window will toggle. They can become in sync again if the X is pressed on one of their windows.

- On the window to split a stack of items, the highlighting over the number is not actually over the number. The highlighting is a bit above the number. This can also be seen in the youtube demo video. This also happens on the crafting screen.

- There seems to be no limit to the length of the number the player can enter with the keyboard on the crafting screen. If you enter a huge number and then try to adjust it with the +/- buttons, you get an Overflow Exception.

- Not necessarily a bug: holding down the + or - buttons should make the stack count rapidly increase or decrease. Right now you must click it repeatedly. I know that you can currently hold down shift to quickly change the value. That should be a button instead (so that controller users can do the same if controllers are supported in the future).

- Not necessarily a bug: There is no controller support at all.

- The vendor window should tell the player how much money they currently have, as opposed to making them open their inventory to check.

- If you click the Vendor's green box in the demo in such a way that your click happens to also click an item in the window that pops up, it will treat that as another click and open the purchase box at the same time with a single click.

- Item dropping is a little weird. It goes by wherever the mouse drops the item. So, the player must precisely place items as they're dropped. If they try to drop an item too far away, it doesn't work. This should probably work the way Diablo works instead. In that game, dropping an item ignores where the mouse drops the item and it will always just drop right next to the player. Perhaps this should be an option for those who do want to precisely place items.

Also, I wanted to mention that the window animations are really awesome and make this package stand out from the competition.

Thanks.

jorisshh and hopeful like this.
  23. twobob

twobob

Cheers. I had already caught the 1st, he's fixed it already.

Saved me some time.

24. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks for the detailed bug report, I'll be sure to fix all bugs in the upcoming release. As for the controller support, I'll push this to the next release as I see this more as a new feature rather than a bug.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    twobob likes this.
  25. jorisshh

jorisshh

All bugs have been fixed and will be available in the next update, as explained earlier the controller support will / might come in a next release cycle :).

I've added a little helper component to draw the players gold amount in any window you like, might be helpful when you create custom windows ^^

In the demo items are dropped on your right, this is based on a offset vector, so you can place it wherever you like, of course the drop at mouse position feature is also still available and editable in the settings.

But don't just take my word for all this, you can try the updated demo at www.devdog.nl/unity/inventorysystem/

twobob likes this.
  26. twobob

twobob

Now /that/ is my kind of performance

upload_2015-4-3_13-41-28.png

kudos, superb run-time cpu and garbage footprint

upload_2015-4-3_13-46-51.png

fairly trivial to rip the guts and port to new objects

upload_2015-4-3_14-16-51.png

Loving it so far.

jorisshh likes this.
  27. jorisshh

jorisshh

All green ^^ just the way we like it

twobob likes this.
  28. jorisshh

jorisshh

First integration update:

The EasySave2 integration handles, well saving, who figured. Simply pop on the Easy Save 2 component (under InventorySystem/Integration/EasySave2) and your collection will be saved and loaded all right out of the box.

Using the new integration editor window you can tick a box for which you want to load the scripts, and voila, Unity will re-compile and the classes will be available.

Optionally you can add fields such as gold to be saved and loaded on a collection.
    All collections can either be stored in a single file or multiple it's up to you.

John-G likes this.
  29. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've put it on my list, integrating with EasySave2 was easy as pie, serializing to JSON shouldn't be much harder.
    I assume you want to save the data afterwards to the PlayerPrefs??

31. John-G

John-G

32. jorisshh

jorisshh

That's a bit of a specific one though, it would make more sense to let the Tradesys creator integrate it with the InventorySystem. I'll put it on my research list, no promises though :)

33. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am also Interested in a Tradesys integration or an integration of Tradesys to this asset :)

34. jorisshh

jorisshh

Second Integration update:

The PlayMaker integration contains the following features:

Just a quick update :) that's all

John-G likes this.
  35. jorisshh

jorisshh

Noted, I'll look more into it once I wrap up the UFPS integration & documentation / tutorials.

36. AndyLL

AndyLL

Agreed.

It doesn't have to be specific to Json but a generic interface that we can implement to serialize what is needed to save/load.

I've bought but not downloaded your package so I don't know your specific data structures but if there is ( or could be ) a simple wrapper class that holds only the values that need to be saved/loaded then you can define an interface:

public interface InventoryPersist
    {
    bool Save(SaveClass obj);
    SaveClass Load();
    }

The default implementation out save/load to the player preferences and those of us that need something different could implement our own save/load classes that do what we want.

37. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yep, certainly possible, I wrote something similar for EasySave2 it only saves simple data types, just int's (itemID's) really...
    I'll start new features once I finish this iteration :)

38. John-Lisenby

John-Lisenby

Hi,

I just bought this asset today, and I have a question. I want to add to the gold variable when I kill an NPC. Looking at the code I see a gold pickup item script. How can I add/adjust the amounts?

I only see the variable in InventoryUI script.

Thanks,

John

39. twobob

twobob

Silently consume an instance of \Assets\InventorySystem\Scripts\Items\GoldInventoryItem.cs perhaps if you want to adhere to pattern

or affect InventoryManager.instance.inventory.gold directly if you don't care :)

40. Luschie

Luschie

First of all: your inventory system is such a cool asset and what's best is the super fast development speed. After you implemented the features could you do a tutorial on how to add the inventory system to a new project from scratch ? That would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

John-Lisenby likes this.
  41. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yep, will do, when the remaining features are wrapped up, I'll do samples, examples, tutorials, documentation, all of it :)

42. jorisshh

jorisshh

Twobob is right, you can directly modify the InventoryManager.instance.inventory.gold property, it will auto. handle events for you so don't worry about that :).

43. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

would be cool if you do some cleanup, there is some files i have no clue what they are doing: Sandcastle.shfbproj i think you can delete this.
    - the mobile scene does not work
    - DemoWebplayer2 does not work
    -would be nice to have a pdf for the doc instead of a website to unzip

its all look very nice and smooth using the scene demowebplayer.unity but i have no clues where to start, it would need some cleanup/organisation

44. twobob

twobob

sandcastle is for the maintenance of docs. https://sandcastle.codeplex.com/
    I would prefer if he did not remove that. It creates the website that you don't like, that I love, since it is searchable and useful. An - additional - pdf (like a copy of quick start /Docs/tutorials.html) is a good idea though.

Mobiles scene has been raised as not working OOTB, fix is accepted as being "required". It was originally a clerical oversight (AIUI) to leave it included in this release, but what is done is done.. I was kind of half-working on a better example myself FWIW.

"but i have no clues where to start"

I started here:

upload_2015-4-4_16-27-37.png

as you say, a PDF might suit some people better.

EDIT: I made a very simple conversion to pdf of those Getting Started 10 pages.
    (Attached)
    And here is an online version for convenience
    http://kaycare.co.uk/games/Inventory/Docs/tutorials.html

If you were talking about programming, I should have done the other pages...
    EDIT: So here is the Programming guide
    http://kaycare.co.uk/games/Inventory/Docs/extending.html

Hope it helps. Will endeavour to push up the latest as and when - since I will be using it too...
    (We have a dedicated webserver, the space is okay)

When Jorishh sorts something else out. Happy days.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Tiny-Tree likes this.
  45. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hey Damien, I re-did the folder structure and separated all demo files to keep it more organized. I forgot to remove some of the old tests I did for myself.

A PDF for documentation might be a bit nicer indeed, UFPS uses google docs, it might be a nice and fast alternative as well. I'm working on better documentation I'll do my best to ship it in the upcoming integration package.

46. jorisshh

jorisshh

UFPS Integration

There we go all done integrating UFPS with the InventorySystem :).

Items can be equipped to the character and contain there own status, using the awesome character equipment system you can define how many slots you want and item conflicts (for example when a sniper is equipped, you cannot equip a 2nd rifle only handguns).

I've also added full first person support to all elements in the world. Objects can be triggered through custom key combinations, of course you can configure all of this to your liking :). So if you want to create a survival / dayz type of game, this should help out a lot :).

Keep in mind.. I'm not a designer :D

John-G and twobob like this.
  47. John-G

John-G

Nice one UFPS integration really makes this a complete system. Have a few inventory systems already, but just Purchased this and I'm guessing I'll be using this as my default system.

Would it be possible to have an item take up more than 1 slot. For example a rifle would occupy 2 slots and a graphic overlay for the rifle would span across 2 adjacent slots.
    So one slot would contain the rifle item and the other could contain a blank item.

48. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yeah certainly, you can create restrictions per equip type. And using equip fields you can define where and how many items of a type can be equipped.

Here's a screeny to how you can restrict item combinations. So when a rifle gets equipped the restrictions (in this case pistol and melee weapons) will get un-equipped, as they are not compatible together.

And of course this same principle applies to RPG game types as well. When you equip a greatsword, you can auto. un-equip a shield or dagger.

twobob likes this.
  49. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

really nice about ufps integration, is there a way to drop on the floor for UFPS weapon/bullets and for normal object?

50. Oburi

Oburi

I bought it on Sellfy, so I question myself if people who bought it there will get the next updates?
    Also I want to ask how to remove a Item from inventory from my own scripts? I scripted a building system and want to remove a specific Item when i build it. :)